Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:47:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else getting new traffic on their router after getting into bitcoin?  (Read 1450 times)
Capitan (OP)

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:00:24 PM
Last edit: June 18, 2011, 09:12:23 PM by Capitan

My router emails me a copy of its logs every time they get full. Normally this happens every week or two. But ever since getting into bitcoin mining I'm getting tons of random log entries (mostly messages saying that my router has blocked access attempt by XYZ IP address). Most of the attempts are coming from a single IP, that is trying many, many different ports on my public IP. I don't respond to public ping, and I don't run the bitcoin client. I use different passwords for EVERYTHING, and they are all strong. I don't have any money in my wallet anyways, maybe 2BTC so I'm not even worried about them stealing my wallet or anything. I am annoyed at the constant attempts by this one IP address to access my system.

Like I said it used to be the case that my router emailed me the full logs every 1-2 weeks, but now I get them once a day. The IP that is scanning me is based in Europe, while I am in the US. I only mine on a couple of the pools using phoenix.

Anyone else had similar new traffic?

Edit: typos in thread title

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Synaptic

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:16:56 PM

My router emails me a copy of its logs every time they get full. Normally this happens every week or two. But ever since getting into bitcoin mining I'm getting tons of random log entries (mostly messages saying that my router has blocked access attempt by XYZ IP address). Most of the attempts are coming from a single IP, that is trying many, many different ports on my public IP. I don't respond to public ping, and I don't run the bitcoin client. I use different passwords for EVERYTHING, and they are all strong. I don't have any money in my wallet anyways, maybe 2BTC so I'm not even worried about them stealing my wallet or anything. I am annoyed at the constant attempts by this one IP address to access my system.

Like I said it used to be the case that my router emailed me the full logs every 1-2 weeks, but now I get them once a day. The IP that is scanning me is based in Europe, while I am in the US. I only mine on a couple of the pools using phoenix.

1 Make your IP public to an entire network.

2 Get increased probing on your IP.

3 Wonder why.

4 Post on forum.

5 Get first response.

6 Never post on forum again

7 Moment of Zen
Capitan (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:50:48 PM

3 Wonder why.

4 Post on forum.

5 Get first response.

7 Moment of Zen

1. Post on forum once again.
2. Synaptic debunked.
Synaptic

Activity: 84

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:53:14 PM

3 Wonder why.

4 Post on forum.

5 Get first response.

7 Moment of Zen

1. Post on forum once again.
2. Synaptic debunked.

Heheh.

Yeah, you're gonna get probed when you publish yourself to a large peer network, always.

Bitcoin, torrents...TOR I would guess. etc.
bitcola

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 09:57:20 PM

This is why I mentioned in another thread that a P2P program increases your risk of getting hacked. But the respondents just came up with whatever they wanted to say in order to reinforce their own biased opinion.

I shall personally connect to Bitcoin network only sporadically and via a VPN.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:04:49 PM

No need to worry at all if you behind router with no vulnerable services available from WAN side.

P2P increases your risk to be hacked, because you might download 2_babes_fucks_dude.avi.exe or similar file. Knowing only IP adress is no use except for DDoS.

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
bitcola

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:06:07 PM

No need to worry at all if you behind router with no vulnerable services available from WAN side.

P2P increases your risk to be hacked, because you might download 2_babes_fucks_dude.avi.exe or similar file. Knowing only IP adress is no use except for DDoS.

This is not true. Knowing an IP gives a hacker a target to try and break into. DDOS is not the only thing at their disposal.

MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:17:52 PM

For every attack there is target needed. Every exploit needs target written. The attacks can be automated. But all they are stuck when all attacks fails because no vulnerability exists on target. The IP address alone is no use, and getting IP is the first and most easiest step.

jalidi

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:42:53 PM

You are being probed. DO NOT PANIC. It is perfectly normal for miners to be probed in the pool. If you don't want to be probed, you have to go solo, and then the probing will stop.
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:49:56 PM

You are being probed. DO NOT PANIC. It is perfectly normal for miners to be probed in the pool. If you don't want to be probed, you have to go solo, and then the probing will stop.
You still can get port scanning by some worm or botnet from time to time. Don't panic.

TonyHoyle

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:54:32 PM

Once you're on the lists you'll get probed, but it's just background noise.. automated bots hitting the same ports repeatedly that fail every time (assuming your firewall is in place, which it should be).

I get probes on IPs I haven't even got a machine on... and the active ones - well if I were to actually keep the logs of the failed attempts I'd need an extra disk to store them!

Hordes of zombies banging on the door might be alarming but if the door is locked it's not a problem :p

Capitan (OP)

View Profile
June 18, 2011, 10:58:55 PM

Does

Doesn't pool mining just send HTTP requests? How would that expose your IP (unless someone is sniffing at the pool operator's network). I assumed my IP was publicized from the few times I opened the bitcoin client.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: