Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:34:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Massive cyberattack spreads around the globe- demanding bitcoin worth of 300USD  (Read 1631 times)
xIIImaL (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:28:53 AM

A massive cyberattack leaked by malware developed by the US National Security Agency swept across the globe Friday after computer networks were locked by a program that demands $300 in Bitcoin

This may done by any hacker around the forum. Will this be affect the rate of adoption over bitcoin and it's price. Please refer below new york post news.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/12/massive-hack-on-uk-hospitals-may-affect-other-countries/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
btcdevil
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1027

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:36:11 AM

A massive cyberattack leaked by malware developed by the US National Security Agency swept across the globe Friday after computer networks were locked by a program that demands $300 in Bitcoin

This may done by any hacker around the forum. Will this be affect the rate of adoption over bitcoin and it's price. Please refer below new york post news.

http://nypost.com/2017/05/12/massive-hack-on-uk-hospitals-may-affect-other-countries/

This type of negative news always comes when ever their is a high price in bitcoin and when the correction was to be expected so that bitcoin traders just sell on each rate on this panic news and the real traders can enter back in low rates with taking their profit in pocket and reentering on their initial investment
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 08:39:59 AM

Temporarily its not a Mtgox but it is a piece of negative news that may mix a few things up for a bit like ETF concerns etc.
Otherwise its just a blip and a reminder that people should really get around to updating their software this has been patched for a month or two.
Microsoft released a patch for the vulnerability last March, but hackers took advantage of the fact that vulnerable targets — particularly hospitals — had not yet updated their systems unless they are still on XP then life just sucks.

Hence it will likely end up as a lesson in cybersecurity.
http://keranews.org/post/ransomware-attacks-ravage-computer-networks-dozens-countries

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 09:38:49 AM

what i find interesting is that they always used a lot of different methods of payment but Bitcoin payment is always the thing people see, of course usage of bitcoin among them has grown more but only in past year.

according to wikipedia:
"A range of such payment methods have been used, including wire transfers, premium-rate text messages, pre-paid voucher services such as Paysafecard, and the digital currency Bitcoin."

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
██  █████████████████████████
  █████████▄      ▄██████████
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
    █████████████████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  ███████████████████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 10:06:52 AM

This has happened quite a few times before, and is happening on a daily basis on computers.
It's sad that hospitals and many businesses neglect cyber-security. This is a good lesson to learn.
talkbitcoin
Legendary

Merit: 1032

All I know is that I know nothing.

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 10:17:36 AM

This has happened quite a few times before, and is happening on a daily basis on computers.
It's sad that hospitals and many businesses neglect cyber-security. This is a good lesson to learn.

it actually is always the employees that cause the security risks!
the hackers rarely hack the system directly, they usually sue a dumb employee as their way to enter the system. for example with an infected Email with an infected attachment to the employee of one of these places, and as they open it, they get infected Smiley

.L I V E C O I N . N E T.
..PROFITBOX..
█████████████▄  ▄████████████
  ██████████▀    ▀█ ▀████████
████  █████▀  ▄▄  ▀█  ▀██████
  ████████▀  ▄██▄  ▀█   ▀████
    ██████   ▀██▀   ██   ████
██  █████████▄  ▄████████████
  █████████████████████▀ ███
█████████████████████▀   ███
    █████████████▀     ████
  █████████████▀   ██    ████
████  █████▀     ██    ████
  ███████▀   ██    ██    ████
    █████    ██    ██    ████
  ███████    ██    ██    ████
██  █████    ██    ██    ████
Lucius
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 5543

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat⚔️

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2017, 10:24:08 AM

what i find interesting is that they always used a lot of different methods of payment but Bitcoin payment is always the thing people see, of course usage of bitcoin among them has grown more but only in past year.

according to wikipedia:
"A range of such payment methods have been used, including wire transfers, premium-rate text messages, pre-paid voucher services such as Paysafecard, and the digital currency Bitcoin."

I think they always emphasize BTC because the common opinion for most people who have heard about BTC&cryptocurrency is that this is something 100% anonymously and it can not be tracked,so it's a perfect way for illegal activities such as ransomware.Considering a very small percentage of world population that uses cryptocurrency and have some knowledge about that,it is not strange that BTC in such cases gets negative promotions.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
cryptoheadd

Activity: 1008
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:06:49 PM

Something similar happened to Wipro a week ago.

Ref: http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/wipro-gets-bio-attack-threat-email-500-crores-in-bitcoin-demanded-1690360

I think they always emphasize BTC because the common opinion for most people who have heard about BTC&cryptocurrency is that this is something 100% anonymously and it can not be tracked,so it's a perfect way for illegal activities such as ransomware.Considering a very small percentage of world population that uses cryptocurrency and have some knowledge about that,it is not strange that BTC in such cases gets negative promotions.

I agree.
This doesn't have anything to do with Bitcoin, other than the fact that they are asking payment in Bitcoins.
davis196

Activity: 2926
Merit: 901

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:17:10 PM

The "Wannacry" virus ransomware is really nasty and attacks hospitals.
I don`t believe  that a forum member stands behind this virus.
This is not bad publicity.Bitcoin is just a currency.

Wesimon

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

https://gexcrypto.io

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:25:41 PM

So true, this must be a lesson learned for them. Knowing the big problem it caused to the public.

it actually is always the employees that cause the security risks!
the hackers rarely hack the system directly, they usually sue a dumb employee as their way to enter the system. for example with an infected Email with an infected attachment to the employee of one of these places, and as they open it, they get infected Smiley

If only the employees of every departments or government agencies were knowledgeable in this kind of threat this would be prevented.

And for bitcoin being one of those many demanded payment method by the hackers, I think we must look it a broader side. No doubt, this one will soon pass.

███
     ▄▄▄▄▄   ▀▀▀
  ▄█████████▄
 ███▀     ▀███▄
███         ███
███         ███
 ███▄     ▄████
  ▀████████████
     ▀▀▀▀▀  ███
            ███
███▄       ▄███
 ▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀
   ▀▀█████▀▀
gexcrypto
E X C R Y P T O

Global Trading Corp.
████
████
████
████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
      ████
      ████
      ████
      ████
YOUR COMPREHENSIVE CRYPTO TRADING PLATFORM
|       WHITEPAPER       |       FACEBOOK       |       TWITTER       |       ANN THREAD       |
████
████
████
████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
████  ████
      ████
      ████
      ████
      ████
Daniel91
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:31:23 PM

This is just one more proof how bitcoin is very famous way of payments for criminals.
Media will share a lot about it and it will not help us to popularize bitcoin.
Average people, without knowledge about bitcoin may become scared after such news.
I don't think that such news will affect bitcoin price since current bitcoin users understand bitcoin situation very well.

.freebitcoin.       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
.PLAY NOW.
btc_angela

Activity: 2562
Merit: 540

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:36:25 PM

Its all over the news. I think with this kind of media, one should be aware that it is indeed real. So we should be very careful now, if the link looks suspicious don't click on it because you just don't know that you will become the next target of this malicious virus. Also, I don't think this will affect bitcoin in general, and will not impact the current price because of this negative news.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?.
..PLAY NOW..
7jaka7

Activity: 628
Merit: 276

BTC, ETH, XMR, LTC

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:37:03 PM

I don`t believe  that a forum member stands behind this virus.
This is not bad publicity.Bitcoin is just a currency.
They say even a bad advertisment is advertisment, so all in all this can be a good thing for BTC, in my opinion
1. If companies, hospitals etc. will pay this amount they need to buy BTC - which is good for BTC
2. the fact that this happened on friday, may be good too, BTC transactions works all the time
3. Companies may see a good thing in BTC and will take a better look at this blockchain technology

SECURE YOUR CRYPTO ASSETS | GET SOME FREE SATOSHI'S | TRADE ON BINANCE 
Disclaimer: All links are affiliate/refferal! Thank you for using them! Smiley
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 13, 2017, 12:38:27 PM
Last edit: May 13, 2017, 12:53:05 PM by deisik

This is just one more proof how bitcoin is very famous way of payments for criminals.
Media will share a lot about it and it will not help us to popularize bitcoin.
Average people, without knowledge about bitcoin may become scared after such news.
I don't think that such news will affect bitcoin price since current bitcoin users understand bitcoin situation very well

Why don't they cry out how Microsoft Windows is vulnerable?

They always find someone/something wrong to blame. If the hackers demanded payment in, say, Russian rubles, the mass media would certainly start asserting that evil Putin has been orchestrating the attack himself, without doubt. The real culprits here (apart from the hackers themselves) are hospitals which use shitty software. I hope patients that got affected will file claims against them, and I'm glad that no one in his right mind is running Windows at nuclear power stations (it is said that QNX is mostly used there)

Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 12:54:36 PM

They are attacking bitcoin so its value will not surge up anymore and will go back in value. Possibly it could be done by other altcoins or by other businesses that are negatively affected by bitcoins price increase. It may be a bad news but it can ever decrease the price of bitcoins value. This is just a small challenge on bitcoin and it could never stop bitcoin on its tracks.
stompix
Legendary

Activity: 2842
Merit: 6156

Jambler.io

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:01:29 PM

This type of negative news always comes when ever their is a high price in bitcoin and when the correction was to be expected so that bitcoin traders just sell on each rate on this panic news and the real traders can enter back in low rates with taking their profit in pocket and reentering on their initial investment

Nothing to do with the price.

Ransomware attacks have been around for the last two three years at a rate of one per week.
And they will get even more widespread.

It's just the scale of the last one and the targets that have gained the attention of the media.
Nothing to do with bitcoin.

No it does not target hospitals. And it's not an entity that knows what a hospital is.

BTC
BTC
 BTC
BTC
..JAMBLER.io..
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO
HAVE BITCOIN BUSINESS

██
██
██
██
██
██
██

██

██

██

██
  BTC
. BTC

BTC
  BTC
Immakillya

Activity: 560
Merit: 269

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:03:17 PM

Its a good way for hackers to earn good money. Since bitcoin now has a very high price. Its a perfect target for hackers. Ransomwares are now spread all over the internet. And many people are victims of this kind of malware and bitcoin as the ransom. There's no way you can trace the hacker since bitcoin is used for anonimity.
Pettuh4

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:05:02 PM

Well well well, just as people will never change and will use any illegal means when it comes to money and amassing wealth I don't think this is any news. They'd do the same to any fiat system through credit card or any form of currency so spreading this negative news about Bitcoin to me is not in good taste because it's could just happen to any currency.
e-coinomist
Legendary

Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085

Money often costs too much.

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:07:30 PM

Why can't they keep their self developped weaponery stuff save?!
Why do they distribute their Vault7 stuff worldwide? Their fault, by not classifying materials due to legalese trickery.

And now guess who will be targetted in the following witchhunt? Maybe Bitcoiners? Riiiight there's your answer.
Slark
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 13, 2017, 01:13:16 PM
Last edit: May 14, 2017, 02:52:13 PM by Slark

How come that everyone missed the most important fact? It was the malware/ransomware originally developed by US Government!
No one is blaming them for poor security? They allowed this malicious software to be stolen in the first place.

But what mass media and government will do next? They will cry that bitcoin is the root of evil, or think of a way to  curb bitcoin adoption.
We might see next wave of draconian BTC regulations just because there should be a scapegoat behind every crime.

CIA is to blame for everything, they can't keep their documents, software safe:
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/07/wikileaks-publishes-biggest-ever-leak-of-secret-cia-documents-hacking-surveillance

BTW, if they developed this ransomware, shouldn't they have a key to decrypt it?!

EDIT: Typos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: