Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:50:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus prime Z270-p  (Read 31533 times)
ozhaveruk

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:07:17 PM

I received my 8th card yesterday and popped it in, turned on the computer and everything is all good.  Bios version 0810, 006c risers, generic M.2 pcie converters and ssd running Windows 10 Pro.  I did install the latest drivers from Asus for LAN, VGA, and I think chipset.  I left audio alone as it's disabled.  I am not sure if the driver updates are a must or not but I figured it couldn't hurt.

http://tohktohk.com/pics/miner1.jpg
http://tohktohk.com/pics/miner2.jpg

Hi,

I'm having problems getting m.2_1 to detect pci-e, there is no problem with the hardware as it all works on m.2_2

Would you please share your bios settings,
1. DMI/OPI (gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 or auto) ?
2. PEG Port (gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 or auto) ?
3. 4G decoding (enable / disable) ?
4. PCH / PCIe config (gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 or auto) ?
5. Onboard devices M.2_1 config (auto or PCIe) ?

Are the m.2 adapters powered or unpowered?

If anyone else has a working Z270-P with both m.2 detected as PCIe please share the above settings in your bios.

There is a lot of conflicting advice on every single point everyone has a different opinion as to what works. I've already tried all options/ combinations to get the m.2_1 to be detected as pcie but no...

PLEASE HELP! WILL REWARD!! $

I'm desperate  Undecided
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cd1qoTAHmA&t=20s

Hi thanks for the reply.

Iv'e watched both these videos before,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cd1qoTAHmA&t=20s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR-FkpU2KfI&t=309s

it's for 270-A not 270-P but similar enought just the P hasn't go as many options.

To sum up he recommends:
1. DMI/OPI gen 2
2. PEG Port gen 2
3. 4G decoding enable
4. PCH / PCIe config  gen 2
5. Onboard devices M.2_1 config - auto

which do not work for me. anyway I tried all different combinations already I think and not working.

Can someone send photos of their actual bios page by page or tell me what I'm missing

thanks

PS. I'm just trying now to get 2 GPUs only to work from the m.2_1 slot (not working) and m.2_2 slot (already working)
that's all, not multi gpu complex problem
Please help will reward $
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ozhaveruk

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:23:24 PM

OMG!!!! I got it to work! Shocked Grin

the problems was with the gold connectors of the shitty chinese m.2 adapter

wiggling it around and pushing it in didn't help at all!!!

what did help was following Asus recommendations on installation of m.2 cards but not from the Z270-p manual, those are not there! I looked by chance at the Z170 manual.

I followed the instructions carefully, FIRST screwing in the m.2 card and THEN bending it into place. VERY SCARY!! I felt like I was going to snap the card in 2 or snap the motherboard or snap my fingers, bending those shits is hard!!!

finally it's done!

both cards recognised Smiley

here is where to download the manual https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170-Gaming-K3-rev-10#support-manual it's page 15, (I couldn't find how to attach photo here)

ENJOY!!! Grin
anubyss

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:34:10 PM

I am under the impression there may be more than one bios setting that works so I can only tell you what I have.  I just copied it from my previous post since I am feeling lazy lol. 

"First thing I did was the bios update to 810 then enable '4G decoding'.  I started the bios setting at gen2 for all without success and then gen1 for all without any success.  I then tried leaving everything on auto and just setting the pcie configuration on gen1 and all seven cards were recognized.  After all the video cards were seen, I didn't try adjusting the setting at all.  It took a weekend to get my rig up and running I didn't want to test to see if there were gains to be made from setting anything on gen1 or gen2. 

I am also using the blue 006C version.  Odd thing is the first eight I ordered from Amazon came with the little tabs that lock the riser on the card but the second time I ordered it, it came without the tabs but seems to fit much tighter on the card.  They are both working fine though.  I ordered the second set thinking it was the risers that was causing the original problem but that wasn't it.

On a side note my two MSI Armor Geforce GTX 1070 OC Edition 8GB seems to run the hottest at 60-64 degrees.  Others are in the 50-55 range." 

I currently have two rigs.  Both using same hardware with the only difference being 8 cards on one rig and the 6 cards on the other.  All 14 cards are GTX 1070.  Same bios settings and not powering the m.2 adapter on the rig with 8 cards.  I didn't see a need for it as power is being provided to the riser and the gpu. 
ozhaveruk

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 11:01:41 PM

Hi,

Now that everything is working and fresh in my mind I wanted to go through step by step installation from beginning to end:

1. Install just motherboard. it means CPU, memory, SSD, NO wires NO adapters NO GPUS

2. Plug motherboard into power not forgetting power to 8 pin CPU

3. Power up make sure first of all the thing works and you can access the bios. (forget about all the tutorial videos where they build the thing from beginning to end and it just works, that shit don't work!)

4. Once you can access the bios, update it to the latest version. There are instructions online and in the motherboard manual. It's really not that scary.

5. set up your bios ready for the next steps:
 a) DMI/OPI  is gen 2
 b) PEG Port is gen 2
 c) 4G decoding - enable (I find there is no harm in enabling 4G early even before you have multiple GPUS but if you have issues do it later after 3rd GPU)
4. PCH / PCIe config is gen 2
5. Onboard devices M.2_1 config is auto (M.2_2 setup options are not found as this is set to PCI-e by default it should just work)
There are other settings for making things more convenient but these are not critical to setup

6. After setup install windows

7. setup all your risers but NO GPUS yet!
POWER TIPS:
- make sure if you are using a daisy chain SATA or Molex power that you don't put more than 2 or 3 risers per connection to PSU. It might not take the load and give you errors.
- I also burnt 2 motherboards in early setups connecting adapter to adapter - don't do it! take the original psu power cable and connect each end (if daisy chain you will have multiple) to ONE chinese splitter. don't connect one splitter to another splitter. I use the molex one male to two female adapter works fine.
- Make sure non of the cable touch the metal body of your GPU those get very hot and melt the cables.
-don't share cables between PSUs corsair and Antec and EVGA they are all wired up differently and don't share you could burn up your setup
-there are MANY things that can go wrong with power. each Riser would need about 75W on it's own so 850W supply might just be enough for 8 risers and M/b. If you use heavy power GPUS like 8 x R9 390 you will need at least another 2 PSUs as these will draw at least 200W each. AT LEAST!

8. Install the two m.2 adapters m.2_1 and m.2_2 make sure you follow asus recommendations I followed the instructions carefully, FIRST screwing in the m.2 card and THEN bending it into place. VERY SCARY!! I felt like I was going to snap the card in 2 or snap the motherboard or snap my fingers, bending those shits is hard!!!

9. start up the PC after each step just to make sure nothing was messed up in between steps

10. So each PCIE riser is powered now and you can connect just ONE PCIE riser to ONE m.2 connector. NO NEED TO CONNECT m.2 adapter to power as PCIE your riser is already powered.

11. update windows

12. download all latest drivers from asus website, chipset, LAN and Video  ALSO download latest driver from AMD website but DON'T yet install the AMD video driver.

13. disconnect Internet. uplug it. shut down

14. Install 1 GPU inside the first PCIE riser (the one you connected to m.2_1) Power up should boot fine.

15. In windows open device manager make sure your 1 GPU is detected as some generic video adapter.

16. shut down. Install second GPU in PCIE riser connected to m.2_2. boot up, at this point both m.2 converted to PCIe should be detected by windows as generic display adapters. good.

17. Keep adding 1 GPU at a time and booting up and making sure detected by windows between each addition. (after 3 GPUS make sure your bios is setup for 4G decoding). sometimes it may take a few minutes for device manager in windows to detect new GPU, wait patiently. by the end of this you should see 8 GPUs detected by windows.

18. shut down. Unplug all your PCIE risers from motherboard (no need to physically pull out GPUs from risers)

19. plug in just one PCIE-riser to motherboard and boot up into windows

20. install latest AMD graphics driver that you downloaded before.

21. Driver should install successfully detecting the 1 GPU you have connected.

22. shut down, connect second riser, reboot make sure it's detected not as generic

23. repeat process connect one PCIE riser with 1 GPU at each reboot, check and repeat

Hopefully by the end of it all you will have 8 gpus detected.

If I left anything out please comment and I will ammend

GOOD LUCK! Cheesy

Kudos
Eth 0x26eD97293A6F31E2bE3a7122D52aC151B97138Cd

PS sometimes GPUs are not detected on first reboot. reboot 2 or 3 times with same settings to ensure you really have a problem
coinzoid

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 16, 2017, 05:19:11 AM

Hi,

Now that everything is working and fresh in my mind I wanted to go through step by step installation from beginning to end:

1. Install just motherboard. it means CPU, memory, SSD, NO wires NO adapters NO GPUS

2. Plug motherboard into power not forgetting power to 8 pin CPU

3. Power up make sure first of all the thing works and you can access the bios. (forget about all the tutorial videos where they build the thing from beginning to end and it just works, that shit don't work!)

4. Once you can access the bios, update it to the latest version. There are instructions online and in the motherboard manual. It's really not that scary.

5. set up your bios ready for the next steps:
 a) DMI/OPI  is gen 2
 b) PEG Port is gen 2
 c) 4G decoding - enable (I find there is no harm in enabling 4G early even before you have multiple GPUS but if you have issues do it later after 3rd GPU)
4. PCH / PCIe config is gen 2
5. Onboard devices M.2_1 config is auto (M.2_2 setup options are not found as this is set to PCI-e by default it should just work)
There are other settings for making things more convenient but these are not critical to setup

6. After setup install windows

7. setup all your risers but NO GPUS yet!
POWER TIPS:
- make sure if you are using a daisy chain SATA or Molex power that you don't put more than 2 or 3 risers per connection to PSU. It might not take the load and give you errors.
- I also burnt 2 motherboards in early setups connecting adapter to adapter - don't do it! take the original psu power cable and connect each end (if daisy chain you will have multiple) to ONE chinese splitter. don't connect one splitter to another splitter. I use the molex one male to two female adapter works fine.
- Make sure non of the cable touch the metal body of your GPU those get very hot and melt the cables.
-don't share cables between PSUs corsair and Antec and EVGA they are all wired up differently and don't share you could burn up your setup
-there are MANY things that can go wrong with power. each Riser would need about 75W on it's own so 850W supply might just be enough for 8 risers and M/b. If you use heavy power GPUS like 8 x R9 390 you will need at least another 2 PSUs as these will draw at least 200W each. AT LEAST!

8. Install the two m.2 adapters m.2_1 and m.2_2 make sure you follow asus recommendations I followed the instructions carefully, FIRST screwing in the m.2 card and THEN bending it into place. VERY SCARY!! I felt like I was going to snap the card in 2 or snap the motherboard or snap my fingers, bending those shits is hard!!!

9. start up the PC after each step just to make sure nothing was messed up in between steps

10. So each PCIE riser is powered now and you can connect just ONE PCIE riser to ONE m.2 connector. NO NEED TO CONNECT m.2 adapter to power as PCIE your riser is already powered.

11. update windows

12. download all latest drivers from asus website, chipset, LAN and Video  ALSO download latest driver from AMD website but DON'T yet install the AMD video driver.

13. disconnect Internet. uplug it. shut down

14. Install 1 GPU inside the first PCIE riser (the one you connected to m.2_1) Power up should boot fine.

15. In windows open device manager make sure your 1 GPU is detected as some generic video adapter.

16. shut down. Install second GPU in PCIE riser connected to m.2_2. boot up, at this point both m.2 converted to PCIe should be detected by windows as generic display adapters. good.

17. Keep adding 1 GPU at a time and booting up and making sure detected by windows between each addition. (after 3 GPUS make sure your bios is setup for 4G decoding). sometimes it may take a few minutes for device manager in windows to detect new GPU, wait patiently. by the end of this you should see 8 GPUs detected by windows.

18. shut down. Unplug all your PCIE risers from motherboard (no need to physically pull out GPUs from risers)

19. plug in just one PCIE-riser to motherboard and boot up into windows

20. install latest AMD graphics driver that you downloaded before.

21. Driver should install successfully detecting the 1 GPU you have connected.

22. shut down, connect second riser, reboot make sure it's detected not as generic

23. repeat process connect one PCIE riser with 1 GPU at each reboot, check and repeat

Hopefully by the end of it all you will have 8 gpus detected.

If I left anything out please comment and I will ammend

GOOD LUCK! Cheesy

Kudos
Eth 0x26eD97293A6F31E2bE3a7122D52aC151B97138Cd

PS sometimes GPUs are not detected on first reboot. reboot 2 or 3 times with same settings to ensure you really have a problem

Very long and instructive list of steps. I think this will help new users of same brand and model. Regarding GPU detection, I have experienced same issue with an Asrock mobo. I had to reboot several times to see all gpus in action.
_kaurus

Activity: 7

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 01:20:43 AM
Last edit: September 21, 2017, 01:33:41 AM by _kaurus

Fellas,

I  have an Asus prime Z270-a and it's supposed to run up to 8gpu, though I can't even get the 4th to work.

I have 3 GTX 1070 and 1 R9 390 to run on there. the r9 390 isn't showing up in device manager.  I've configured all my PCI-e links according to everyone video I've seen on the board, but the 4th card just isn't showing up.  This isn't my first build, though it's only my 3rd and my first time on Asus.

Yes, the bios is updated
Yes, I've tried 3 different Risers, though the first two are known to work.
Yes, I'm only plugging the risers card into PCI-E 1x slots.
Yes, the card works when plugged into the board with no other cards.

Thank you.

I cannot install AMD drivers as no device is recognized.
Jonet

Activity: 82
Merit: 3

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 12:18:35 PM

Fellas,

I  have an Asus prime Z270-a and it's supposed to run up to 8gpu, though I can't even get the 4th to work.

Did you enable Above 4K Decoding?
Jonet

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 04:16:28 PM

BIOS version 0812 is out. It says "Improve memory stability & compatibility" and I think updating a stable rig should not be necessary. But ASUS has for some reason removed BIOS 0810 from the download site while older versions are still available.
You are probably aware of it but updating the BIOS over the internet from the tool menu in BIOS does not always work. Sometimes it does not work at all, and if it works you may get an old version. You will probably have to download it and put it on an USB stick.

I have built 5 rigs with Prime Z270-P (6GPU) and one 8 GPU rig with Prime Z270-A. Ive spent endless hours getting the rigs up and running and read all kinds of good and bad advice on various forums and Youtube channels. For some reason the third rig was a pain and I really don't know what solved the problem in the end. The last one was a breeze and I plan to build more 8 GPU rigs with Z270-P.
Bear in mind that a lot of the post you read are old and the problems described may not apply to you now as BIOS firmware and Windows/GPU drivers has been updated. I set the 3 different PCI speeds to GEN2 and GEN1 on my first rigs to get them running, but I have now set them back to Auto on all my rigs. I think Above 4G Decoding is the only thing you have to enable in BIOS.

Here is my BIOS setup:

Above 4G Decoding Enabled
SATA6G_2(Gray) Disabled
SATA6G_3(Gray) Disabled
SATA6G_4(Gray) Disabled
Restore AC Power Loss Power On
HD Audio Controller Disabled
LED Lighting Disabled
Charging USB device in Power State S5 (Disabled)
Serial port Disabled
USB3_1 Disabled
USB3_2 Disabled
USB3_3 Disabled
USB3_4 Disabled
USB11 Disabled
USB12 Disabled
USB13 Disabled
USB14 Disabled
Boot logo Disabled

Explanation:
Above 4G is needed to allow some of the GPU's to be memory mapped above the 4GB address space. There is not enough room below 4GB and the CPU/OS will not be able to use all GPS's. Usually you had to enable it when you connected the 4th GPU, and if you removed GPU's you would have to disable it again to boot the OS. But as ozhaveruk mentioned in a post above, you can now enable it right away before you install the GPUs.
SATA 2-4 is disabled to free up resources.
Restore AC Power Loss, so the rig starts after power loss.
Audio is disabled because no audio will be connected and drivers will not have to be installed.
LED lights are disabled because I don't need the extra attention.
USB Charging, the rig will never be in Power State S5 and I will certainly not charge anything
Serial port is disabled to free up resources
All internal USB ports are disabled to free up resources. The ports listed are the ones that are not on the back panel. They are the ones you are supposed to connect to the front panel of you PC cabinet with a cable connected to the mainboard.
Boot logo is disabled as I would rather see the technical info during boot.

But as I mentioned above 4G is probably the only setting you would have to change, and having the PC power on after power loss is also nice. I really have no idea if it helps in any way to disable SATA,USB and serial ports, but It can't hurt.

I do not think it is necessary to download and install any drivers from ASUS. I did this on one rig only and it did not seem to make a difference.
It is a good idea to connect the monitor to the mainboard VGA or DVI until all GPU's are installed.
You seem to need luck or good karma to get a multi GPU rig going. Voodoo maybe. Often you scratch your head for hours, swapping GPU's and risers and cables, and then for no apparent reason whatsoever, the last GPU is detected by Windows. I everything seems to be right but one GPU is not detected, it can help connecting the monitor to the problem GPU during power up.

A few comments to ozhaveruk's posts:

You have an error in the numbering of your list. 4 and 5 appear 2 times. My comments below refer to the numbers on your list:

point 5. a, b and what should have been d about PCI speed: not necessary. Try setting it to auto on your rig and see what happens.
point 5 about M.2: This is not a change is it? auto is default?
point 7 Avoid splitters and daisy chains on power if possible. If you plan your build and buy the right PSUs and riser's you don't need the chinese splitters. 3 risers on one PSU cable is much, to avoid that you may be have to use 2 or 3 smaller PSUs instead of a big one.
point 8 I really don't understand what you are on about here. You also posted a link to a Gigabyte manual earlier that you followed step by step. If you secured the adapter board with the screw first, and then bent it into the connector, you are very lucky that you did not ruin you motherboard. There is a screw and a spacer for the M.2 in a plastic bag. (Unlike Gigabyte where the screw and spacer is already fastened to the motherboard). The spacer should be fastened to the motherboard at the right position according to the legth of the m.2 device. Insert the M.2 adapter into the connector at an angle. It should slide in very easy and it should be very easy to push it down so it is horizontal to the motherboard and resting on the spacer. Secure it with the screw.

Other then that my procedure is not identical to yours, but it is probably not important. One uses the the same method that has been proven successful. Do you know why you insert one and one card without the driver installed? And do you know why you install driver with only one card present?
One thing that annoys me is that Windows usually freeze when I update the AMD driver. Maybe it would not if I disconnected all but one card?

Cheers!
_kaurus

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 08:03:59 PM

Fellas,

Did you enable Above 4K Decoding?

Yes i did but that Should only affect memory mapping over 4gb and not Windows detecting the gpu....according to the list below

I'm going to try to disable sata ports as i don't use them.
Any other idea?
Jonet

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 09:46:52 PM

_kaurus can you check if your HDD or SSD is partitioned with MBR or GPT? MBR does not support Above 4G Decoding, but the symptom should be system lockup.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

Other then that I would remove one of the 1070's to see if the R9 390 got recognized. Or check if the system will accept 4 or more 1070's if you have more.
_kaurus

View Profile
September 21, 2017, 10:29:30 PM

This drive was setup on another system and transferred to this mobo. It was running 10 1070 + 2 390s.  Do you think i should still try the mbr version?
Jonet

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:00:59 AM

This drive was setup on another system and transferred to this mobo. It was running 10 1070 + 2 390s.  Do you think i should still try the mbr version?

No. It should be GPT. If you used the drive with 12 GPUs it is GPT.

This other system is also a Z270-A? If not I would reinstall windows from the mobo you are going to use.
crocozino

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:12:54 AM

Bear in mind that a lot of the post you read are old and the problems described may not apply to you now as BIOS firmware and Windows/GPU drivers has been updated. I set the 3 different PCI speeds to GEN2 and GEN1 on my first rigs to get them running, but I have now set them back to Auto on all my rigs. I think Above 4G Decoding is the only thing you have to enable in BIOS.

for my rigs on Z270-P with 6 cards that option PCIE-X GEN speed became most crucial!!
if it was set to auto - no luck on loading, no keyboard, no HDD
if set on GEN1 - nu loading
if set on GEN2 - stable and running good
if set on GEN3 - not stable loading

I don't know what to say, but I guess for some rigs this option is important as well

dominuspro

Activity: 201
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:22:36 AM

_kaurus can you check if your HDD or SSD is partitioned with MBR or GPT? MBR does not support Above 4G Decoding, but the symptom should be system lockup.

https://www.howtogeek.com/245610/how-to-check-if-a-disk-uses-gpt-or-mbr-and-how-to-convert-between-the-two/

Other then that I would remove one of the 1070's to see if the R9 390 got recognized. Or check if the system will accept 4 or more 1070's if you have more.

I'm using a MBR partitioned ssd with win7 and it works with 7 nvidia gpus. On the asus prime z270-p offcourse.
Jonet

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 10:47:10 PM

for my rigs on Z270-P with 6 cards that option PCIE-X GEN speed became most crucial!!
if it was set to auto - no luck on loading, no keyboard, no HDD
if set on GEN1 - nu loading
if set on GEN2 - stable and running good
if set on GEN3 - not stable loading

I don't know what to say, but I guess for some rigs this option is important as well

I just did a test on one of my rigs and it will boot Windows 10 and mine regardles of what PCIe speed is set to, Gen1, 2 and even 3. That is with BIOS version 0810. 3x580 Nitro+,1x570 Nitro+, 1x580 Gigabyte Gaming 8 and 1x1070 Zotac Mini
Unless your BIOS older than 0810, it may depend on the graphics cards and/or the risers used?
_kaurus

View Profile
September 25, 2017, 12:32:57 AM
Last edit: September 25, 2017, 02:36:25 PM by _kaurus

I'm using an MBR partitioned SSD with win7 and it works with 7 nvidia gpus. On the asus prime z270-p offcourse.

I was under the impression that Microsoft used MBR by default on all windows installs. So why would i have an MBR issue to recognize additional cards.  

My AB350 board did 6 cards (not of the same brand), my asrock does 8+2 and now this Asus prime Z270-a only does 3 cards of any type.  All systems are running off a normal laymen's install of windows.

CybeRoky

Activity: 66

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:53:58 AM

Hello have someone successfully try 8 GPU on this mobo? Or do you recommend Z270-A? Tnx for the answers Smiley
manicdan

Activity: 10

View Profile
November 14, 2017, 11:50:04 PM

Hello have someone successfully try 8 GPU on this mobo? Or do you recommend Z270-A? Tnx for the answers Smiley

i have 8 running in windows without issue

turn on 4g
and dont use the power cords for the 2 m.2 riser cards, it works fine without them.
Jonet

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 09:56:43 AM

I have 6 rigs with 8 GPUs and this motherboard. It has been troublesome to get them running because the m2 adapters that I got is of terrible quality. Some work and some don’t. I just found out that they are full off solder “balls” and bridges.
CybeRoky

Activity: 66

View Profile
November 15, 2017, 08:58:44 PM

https://imgur.com/a/9Sp8f
Is this a good M.2 riser?

@manicdan What do you mean with power cards?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: