Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:35:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger hardware wallet: Verify that my 24 word backup phrase is correct?  (Read 497 times)
kenneho (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 03:13:48 PM

Hi all, I've just set up my Ledger Nano S, and transferred my bitcoins to it.

I'd very much like to double check that I got the 24 backup phrase right. Is there any way I can verify that I got it right, without purchasing a new Ledger to restore to?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sabbathhawk

Activity: 266
Merit: 106

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 04:25:56 PM

You should do it before you transfer your bitcoins to it.
As option make segwit transaction to you ios wallet breadwalet app. And than delete wallet from ledger, after restore it from you backup. If your backaup is ok you can transfer from breadwallet back to you ledger. This is the cheapest option.
Hope this will help

▐▐   ▬▬▬▬▬   DeepOnion   ▬▬▬▬▬   ▌▌
████    40 PUBLIC AIRDROPS COMPLETED    TOR INTEGRATED    ████
▬▬▬▬   (✔) DeepVault Blockchain File Signatures  •  VoteCentral Your Vote Counts  •  deeponion.org   ▬▬▬▬
kenneho (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 04:34:03 PM

You should do it before you transfer your bitcoins to it.
As option make segwit transaction to you ios wallet breadwalet app. And than delete wallet from ledger, after restore it from you backup. If your backaup is ok you can transfer from breadwallet back to you ledger. This is the cheapest option.
Hope this will help

Simply transfer my bitcoins to some other wallet, and then delete the ledger wallet, and afterwards restore it? I guess that should work. Thanks!
redhorse

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 03, 2017, 08:16:47 PM

Hi all, I've just set up my Ledger Nano S, and transferred my bitcoins to it.
I'd very much like to double check that I got the 24 backup phrase right. Is there any way I can verify that I got it right, without purchasing a new Ledger to restore to?

Follow this guide here: https://ledger.groovehq.com/knowledge_base/topics/restoring-your-ethers-eth-or-etc-without-a-ledger-nano-s

Using the standalone BIP39 (https://github.com/iancoleman/bip39) tool to enter your seed and check that the generated addresses are the one from your Ledger Nano. You should download the bip39-standalone.html file and use it on a offline computer so that you don't need to enter your seed on a PC connected to the Internet with the danger of being compromised.

I created a Linux USB Key for this purpose where I copied th BIP39 tool and booted from this key to check my seed.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: