Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:54:59 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: TorCoin Is A Scam  (Read 3710 times)
SysFailure0x5a (OP)

Activity: 72
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 09:13:00 PM
Last edit: December 18, 2017, 09:19:34 AM by SysFailure0x5a

I recently posted these findings on my own blog. I plan to post more technical analisys of other coins in the future: https://cryptocurrencyexchanges.wordpress.com/2017/12/18/torcoin-is-a-scam/

This is not a wild guess. I have hard technical proof that TorCoin has lied about their Crypto Currency.

I'm a certified Network Engineer with a little over 10 years experience. Most recently I worked for a very large ISP in their core engineering department. I'm also kind of a nerd, so in my free time I like to investigate how things work, especially if they are network related.

I have experience with Tor and anonymous distributions like Tails. My primary interest at this point is to find out how secure TorCoin really is. If you are familiar with anonymity, then you should be aware that leaking network data on the clear net (the regular internet) is a big concern. Leaking any data related to you or the app you're trying to conceal will give you away.

To test, I configured a Windows 10 Virtual Machine and setup Wireshark. After installing and launching TorCoin, I performed a series of packet captures. For the sake of being brief, I discovered that most of the claims made by TorCoin are false. TorCoin does NOT integrate with The Tor Network. It does NOT keep your usage private.  

Here are just a couple things that I found!

* Clear public NON-Tor DNS traffic asking for http://seed.torcoincoin.com
* Clear public IRC traffic to irc.lfnet.org and irc.smutfairy.com
* Does NOT connect to The Tor Network!
* Does NOT keep your use of the coin anonymous!
* Nodes do NOT help The Tor Network.

Here is a screenshot of the IRC traffic:

The TorCoin OP says you are untraceable. I found a central location where I can track all the connected nodes.

You can see the IRC room with all the connected nodes here:

You can download the Wireshark packet captures here so that you can see for yourself:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/48nhs90ia6rosop/AACTChe_153XeFptUUGtSRsGa?dl=0

BitCoinTalk member TheTorCoin makes these FALSE claims on his thread:
"Torcoin is a cryptocurrency similar to Bitcoin featuring numerous improvements and innovations, such as full integration with the TOR network, stealth sending technology, and complete anonymity."

"There is never any need to 'mix' or 'anonymize' your TorCoins - they are anonymous by default. TOR is fully integrated with TorCoin, which means that a snoop or attacker watching your internet connection will not know if you are using TorCoin - and other TorCoin users cannot determine the physical location of your Torcoin node."

"Completely Untraceable. No one will ever know you are running a TorCoin node - your real IP is never broadcast to the network because TorCoin runs over Tor."

TorCoin communicates with other nodes over the regular internet. Your IP address can be seen by everyone! I was able to do a reverse lookup on a node and found a user on Comcast. His claims are misleading at best. I personally feel the creator of this coin has done this intentionally. It is my educated opinion that you avoid this cryptocurrency.
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ibminer
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 2536

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2017, 10:15:39 PM

Is this you?  Either way, probably relevant on this thread

NOTICE :

Users of this forum should know the following;

(1) "Torcoin" has nothing whatsoever to do with the real Tor Project Inc.

In fact, the official Tor Project Inc has already publicly issued a warning regarding "Torcoin"

- https://twitter.com/torproject/status/857297306571481088

"@torproject Apr 26

Warning: @TheTorCoin is using our name and logo deceptively and without permission/approval. Their service is not endorsed by Tor."

Anyone reading this should also see: https://www.torproject.org/docs/trademark-faq.html

"Tor" and the "Onion Logo" are registered trademarks of The Tor Project, Inc.

(2) "Torcoin" is making 'false' claims in regards to their current (and only) software release: Version 1.0.0

(a) Despite claiming that; "Torcoin is fully integrated with the Tor project network", the current wallet software is not automatically running over the real Tor® network and therefore exposes the users real IP address on clearnet!

Note that almost any crypto-coin on this forum can be run over the real Tor® network by configuring the proxy settings to use a Tor® daemon as a SOCKS proxy.

(b) "Torcoin is 100% Anonymous, unlike Bitcoin.  Send & Receive payments with full privacy" - Note that "Stealth" addresses are not fully anonymous, in comparison to other anonymity technologies.

(c) "By running TorCoin, you are increasing the number of nodes on the TOR network, and thereby helping people across the world remain anonymous." Again, this claim is currently false.

Torcoin's existing wallet release does not run a real Tor® network node (Relay or Exit node) when the wallet is started. "Torcoin" software is therefore not currently able to reward actual Tor® network nodes operators, as they have also claimed.

As someone who has hosted real Tor® software Relay and Exit nodes for more than 10 years (and have also been using Bitcoin since the year dot), I feel obliged to make the above facts known.

~ Running genuine Tor® software nodes remains a thankless and mostly unrewarded task that I choose to undertake, as I believe in the right to privacy etc.,

Furthermore, the real Tor Project Inc has long considered trying to enable said incentive mechanism's for real relay and exit node operators and various research papers have already been published;

See: https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-incentives-research-roundup-goldstar-par-braids-lira-tears-and-torcoin

Note that the TorCoin paper mentioned is not the "TorCoin" of this forum thread!

Whilst the continuing development concept for a "TorCoin" maybe somewhat feasible - I fail to see how you can remedy the above situation.

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
(¯`·.¸¸.-> °º [ BPIP ] º° <-.¸¸.·´¯)
๑๑۞๑,¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,ø¤º°°º¤ø,¸,๑۞๑๑
:•: Most Merit | Most Activity | Most Trusted | Most Recognized
:•: Flag Log | Most Merited Threads | DT Change Log | Most Deleted by Mods
:•: ıllıllı Sheeple ~ The System ~ Free World ~ Don't look down (NSFW) ~ Hook ~ Brainwashed ıllıllı
SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 16, 2017, 11:37:14 PM

@ibminer - No. What you posted was not me, but it does seem relevant.
ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 02:42:19 PM

Posting here for reference. There are accusations that there is an embedded trojan in the Windows version of the TorCoin client

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1864282.msg19065197#msg19065197

:•: ıllıllı Sheeple ~ The System ~ Free World ~ Don't look down (NSFW) ~ Hook ~ Brainwashed ıllıllı
U2

Activity: 676
Merit: 503

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not sure...

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 02:46:37 PM

This came up when I was doing some research into Torcoin so thank you very much for the valuable information. I will never invest in something that is ripping off someone else and or doesn't even do what it is supposed to.
Chevas Regal

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

www.tgtcoins.com/ico

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 02:48:08 PM

Posting here for reference. There are accusations that there is an embedded trojan in the Windows version of the TorCoin client

Don't you think from 2016 onwards most ICOs are included in scamming.

“…if the just man is good at keeping money, he is good at stealing it.” Plato, Book I, The Republic

Just after seeing this thread few hours back I approached to the manager of the ICO so that I can make a fork of the main torcoin branch and he is still silent... Smiley This shows their dedication...

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██████████▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀██████████
███████▀▄▄█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀█▄▄▀▀██████
████▀▄█████████████████████▄▀████
███ ██████████▀▀▀████████████ ███
██ ███████████   █████████████▄▀█
█ █▌████████▀▀   ▀▀▀▀████████▐█ █
▌▐█ ██████████  ▐████████████▌██▐
▌██▐████████         ████████▌▐█▐
▌▐█ ██████████  ▐████████████▌██▐
█ █▄██████████  ▐████████████▄█ █
██ ███████████▄  ▀▀▀ █████████▀▄█
███ ████████████▄▄▄▄█████████ ███
████▄▀█████████████████████▀▄████
██████▄▄▀▀██▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▄█▀▀▄▄██████
██████████▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄██████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Target Coin

▄▄▄▄▄▄
    ▄████████
    █████▀▀▀▀
   ▐████
   ▐████
████████████
████████████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████
   ▐████

▄████▄▄    ▄
██             ████████████▀
████▄         █████████████▀
▀████████▄▄   █████████████
▄▄█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
  ▀██████████████████████
   █████████████████████
    ▀█████████████████▀
      ▄█████████████▀
▄▄███████████████▀
   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▄▄████████████████▄▄
 ▄██▀                ▀██▄
▐██                ██  ██▌
██▌      ▄▄████▄▄  ▀▀  ▐██
██▌    ▄██▀▀  ▀▀██▄    ▐██
██▌   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██
██▌   ▐██        ██▌   ▐██
██▌    ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀    ▐██
██▌      ▀▀████▀▀      ▐██
▐██                    ██▌
 ▀██▄                ▄██▀
   ▀▀████████████████▀▀

iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:40:20 PM

I'll just leave this here

I submitted a False Positive report to ESET (NOD32, ESET Smarty Security, etc...) They replied to me today and confirmed that it is a false positive. They have already updated their virus signatures. TorCoin no longer shows up as a Trojan in ESET. I verified this by running another scan of the file directly.

I just loaded up TorCoin and generated my first wallet address.

TDk2oNSXEzmP3voog2y6HtmcDiEZD9aLLm

Looking for a signature campaign.
SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:43:52 PM

I'll just leave this here

I submitted a False Positive report to ESET (NOD32, ESET Smarty Security, etc...) They replied to me today and confirmed that it is a false positive. They have already updated their virus signatures. TorCoin no longer shows up as a Trojan in ESET. I verified this by running another scan of the file directly.

I just loaded up TorCoin and generated my first wallet address.

TDk2oNSXEzmP3voog2y6HtmcDiEZD9aLLm

Yeah. That was ME that submitted the report to ESET. Before I tested TorCoin, I submitted it to ESET for analysis. After ESET came back and said it was clean I tested the client. It does not connect to Tor. It sends all of its data over the regular internet.

This came up when I was doing some research into Torcoin so thank you very much for the valuable information. I will never invest in something that is ripping off someone else and or doesn't even do what it is supposed to.

That's the thing. It does not even come close to doing what they say it does. They didn't stop to think that advertising a coin that works over a network like Tor would attract technically savvy people. I do not trust privacy to blind faith. If they are lying about how it works, you can guarantee this is just a pump and dump coin.
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 06:49:14 PM

It was wrong from TheTorcoin not to state this in the OP
Torcoin however is indeed TOR integrated:
https://github.com/TorCoinProject/torcoin/tree/tor

I agree it was completely wrong not to state this in the OP
However I also think it's a bit of an exaggeration to leave a red tag on him

Torcoin IS being developed and will implement more features
It's a mistake, however a scam accusation is a bit too much since there actually is

If there weren't it wouldn't be too much since it would be a flat out lie
This way however, the OP was just wrongly formed

ibminer
Legendary

Goonies never say die.

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2017, 07:03:27 PM

I agree it was wrong from TheTorcoin not to state this in the OP
Torcoin is however indeed TOR integrated:

However, I agree it was completely wrong not to state this in the OP
I also think it's a bit of an exaggeration to leave a red tag on him

Torcoin IS being developed and will implement more features

As I understand it:

Mac version == Not integrated with Tor
Windows version == Not integrated with Tor
Linux version == Not integrated with Tor
Github version (tor branch only) == integrated
Not developed yet - but I'll assume the iOS and Android versions will also not be integrated with Tor.

The majority of TorCoin releases, and all main branch releases, are not integrated and it is extremely misleading reading the OP or the website because everything revolves around its integration with Tor.

If the website and OP get changed to reflect the truth more clearly and I hear back from some of the companies I've contacted regarding possible false-positives on the windows version being detected as a trojan, I will consider modifying my feedback.

iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 08:49:46 PM

The majority of TorCoin releases, and all main branch releases, are not integrated and it is extremely misleading reading the OP or the website because everything revolves around its integration with Tor.

If the website and OP get changed to reflect the truth more clearly and I hear back from some of the companies I've contacted regarding possible false-positives on the windows version being detected as a trojan, I will consider modifying my feedback.

I completely agree with this Smiley

SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 17, 2017, 10:00:27 PM

As I understand it:

Mac version == Not integrated with Tor
Windows version == Not integrated with Tor
Linux version == Not integrated with Tor
Github version (tor branch only) == integrated
Not developed yet - but I'll assume the iOS and Android versions will also not be integrated with Tor.

This is my point. The whole hype of this coin is it's supposed native integration with Tor. It does not do this. On the main thread I saw someone saying they couldn't even compile the Github version. It may not even work on any version of the client. No one has confirmed any Tor integration. Not a single person!
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 06:15:03 PM

SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 02:07:34 AM

Nobody cares about your false positive screenshot. TorCoin still does NOT connect to Tor, regardless of your "no virus" proposal. A virus has nothing to do with TorCoin NOT  connecting to Tor. The coin does not do what you claim it does. PERIOD.
SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 02:11:17 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering, Iluvbitcoins works for TorCoin. He is an admin on TorCoin website. He has a stake in this coin so he is trying to make it look better.
aioc

Activity: 2856
Merit: 564

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 04:15:31 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering, Iluvbitcoins works for TorCoin. He is an admin on TorCoin website. He has a stake in this coin so he is trying to make it look better.

I don't have stake on torcoin but I just wonder how did you know all of this,if you invest on a particular coin you will try to make it look better especially if you invest big,he could be just an investor but what made you post he is the admin or the dev of the coin.

SysFailure0x5a (OP)

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 03:16:19 AM

I don't have stake on torcoin but I just wonder how did you know all of this,if you invest on a particular coin you will try to make it look better especially if you invest big,he could be just an investor but what made you post he is the admin or the dev of the coin.

I research anything before I invest. I don't trust things blindly. Here is the link to his post on the official TorCoin website.

http://torcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=451.0

And here is a screenshot.

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 10:03:21 AM

Heard about it and never cared..

Thanks for looking into it and yeah i agree.. it reeks of deception.

So yeah that does in fact mean it's a scam / scammy (deceitful)

FUD first & ask questions later™
iluvbitcoins
Legendary

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 05:53:55 PM
Last edit: May 20, 2017, 06:06:09 PM by iluvbitcoins

I research anything before I invest. I don't trust things blindly. Here is the link to his post on the official TorCoin website.

http://torcoin.org/forum/index.php?topic=451.0

And here is a screenshot.

I became a moderator after I started leading the Signature Campaign, I had nothing to do with the coins creation at all.
I'v found out about the coin 3 weeks ago.

Also

There is no virus in Torcoin as accused.

Why does no one care about "your false positive report?"

Torcoin has been accused of being infected

I believe everyone reading the thread would care.
So far ESET, BitDefender, Avast, Kaspersky, Webroot and Cyren have whitelisted Torcoin, clearly making this statement false.

And it is Tor integrated, Cryptopia only lists the Linux wallet as working  Cheesy
There's been a terrible mistake not stating this in the OP and a very visible spot.
That's completely true.

However, a great future lies ahead of Torcoin at its grasp with future implementations and development Smiley
I believe these features are what the community needs, bumps at the early road will not matter in a year or so, if we get there successfully Smiley

Spoetnik
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011

FUD Philanthropist™

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 05:31:02 AM

So a tag along noob just seen the coin and just showed up to get a piece of the action and was eager to be a "moderator" and had nothing to do with the code..is well.. speaking about the code.

Did i get that right ?

Uhhhmm signature campaigns are legit  Cheesy

I'd dip my fucking balls in a wood chipper before getting involved in shit like this.
And everyone on this site is a moron and most on the web.
None of these fucking idiots would know a virus if they were smacked in the fucking face with one.
I can't count how many times i have had to lecture these lippy dipshits.
All they can do is yammer their little dick-holsters about a virus program "report"
To them they rely on some stupid ass program to tell them what is a virus and what is not.
AKA: they are idiots.
I have found *FIRST* endless amounts of malware online and exposed them for a decade or two.
How ? i used 100 different tools on my PC to do it.
I did not click submit at VirusTotal like a fucking reject.

I learned in the year 2000 that depending on Virus signature systems is silly.
All it is.. is a system to flag shit AFTER THE FACT.
Heuristics may have come a long way but it still is what it is.. heuristics.

For example i got my hands on the massive and rather impressive Zuess Rootkit malware via underground sources years ago when it was sold for 10k a pop..
And no it was not detected..
I still have it too LOL
And yeah i can compile it right now if i wanted to.. because i can code and not just reverse engineer shit.

But hey don't listen to me or the OP who did REAL research.. listen to the snotty little shit spouting off for random shitcoin ROI's.. because he's a sig campaign moderator !
Ooooh la la look out mother fuckers we got a fucking big shot in here ROFL

@OP
Random tidbit of info for you Wink
2013 i did some poking around with some wallets and i found an interesting bit of info..
A lot of the wallets were all calling home to a specific IRC channel to allegedly a dev said to get nodes.
And it also made it easier to track some of them to the same dev.. because he used the same IRC channel etc.. pointing the finger at him for a crap load of clone coins on Cryptsy back then.
Who were all of course tied in closely with almost all the staff..
Made by the same scammy cunt who made CENT and shitloads of others.

Funny enough he did add a virus to his Wallet on one of the updates too.
He slipped it on the official web site he ran and that is where i got it directly !
I prob still have it kickin' around too.
And what he did was updated the compiled binary then used an .exe joiner which was a little bit corrupted but still ran & worked.. which included a trojan + keylogger.
Then he never bothered updating the source code linked on his page..
I had a guy tracking it all and he tipped me off and he was right 101%
And funny ?

Yeah because he was one of the biggest coin dev's in all of crypto with probably half the coins on the exchanges.

Story told lots.. no one ever cared in the slightest.

Here is a picture of him.. he's known as Shake + others and for his free and paid coin cloning guides "for fun & profit"

And there was other incidents too.
Guys have simply launched a coin with a Trojan / Keylogger on launch day before infecting users.
So it does in fact happen but they know they have to be crafty now a days.
And bypassing SIG campaign "moderators" would be rather trivial LOL

PS:
I uploaded to the Github Repo a new folder of code.. it's called "YOU ARE RICH"
So.. you know.. all you guys buying TorCoin.... will be Rich Wink
You know it's true.. didn't you see the folder name ? liek JEEEZ !!!

FUD first & ask questions later™
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: