Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 07:47:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: AliasCoin Proposal: How To Send Money To "Satoshi" Instead of "1TE6a7tvT..."  (Read 3900 times)
Coding Enthusiast
Legendary

Activity: 1039
Merit: 2783

Bitcoin and C♯ Enthusiast

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 01:04:38 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

I have seen a couple of these proposals and I always have one shared thought about all of them: I never understand why people even want to have an easily, memorable phrase instead of that scary hash160 string. When you buy something from an online store you never memorize their payment details, you click a button and are redirected to a payment processor and it automatically fills in the data needed for you to make the payment. And nobody is ever scared of seeing that page. So why making a payment with bitcoin which means either clicking a payment link using BIP21 or scanning a QR code. But that's just my thoughts

Other problem that I see here, is being too limited (I believe the word for it is collision):
With bitcoin everyone who is using it has a unique address and will continue having a unique address for years no matter how many millions of people use it and generate new addresses.
In this proposal what happens when I register name "Foo", then 1000 others after me want to register the same name? "Foo.Bar"? "Foo.2"? "Foo.1000"?
There will always be very limited number of proper names to use before we start getting to hard names area. And the main issue you raised in the beginning will show up again. It will be hard to remember "My.Custom.Foo.Bar.Name.That.Is.Unique.To.Me".

Also the "centralization" and the "address reuse" issues that are already mentioned are not small things to overlook.

Projects List+Suggestion box
Donate: 1Q9s or bc1q
|
|
|
FinderOuter(0.19.1)Ann-git
Denovo(0.7.0)Ann-git
Bitcoin.Net(0.26.0)Ann-git
|
|
|
BitcoinTransactionTool(0.11.0)Ann-git
WatchOnlyBitcoinWallet(3.2.1)Ann-git
SharpPusher(0.12.0)Ann-git

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 04:42:19 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

I have seen a couple of these proposals and I always have one shared thought about all of them: I never understand why people even want to have an easily, memorable phrase instead of that scary hash160 string. When you buy something from an online store you never memorize their payment details, you click a button and are redirected to a payment processor and it automatically fills in the data needed for you to make the payment. And nobody is ever scared of seeing that page. So why making a payment with bitcoin which means either clicking a payment link using BIP21 or scanning a QR code. But that's just my thoughts

Other problem that I see here, is being too limited (I believe the word for it is collision):
With bitcoin everyone who is using it has a unique address and will continue having a unique address for years no matter how many millions of people use it and generate new addresses.
In this proposal what happens when I register name "Foo", then 1000 others after me want to register the same name? "Foo.Bar"? "Foo.2"? "Foo.1000"?
There will always be very limited number of proper names to use before we start getting to hard names area. And the main issue you raised in the beginning will show up again. It will be hard to remember "My.Custom.Foo.Bar.Name.That.Is.Unique.To.Me".

Also the "centralization" and the "address reuse" issues that are already mentioned are not small things to overlook.

Let's say my son is in college and emails me that he needs pizza money. I'd like to reach a point where I can just send a quick transaction to "ebliever.jr" from my wallet rather than having to look up or cross-reference unmemorizable hash strings. The current approach really only works for transactions with businesses that set up expensive and complex front-ends that minimize the complexity to the customer. I'd like a simple solution for non-techies for everyday life, peer-to-peer and without forcing mom-and-pop shops to invest in expensive solutions.

As far as collisions go, that's why a fair amount of my proposal has to deal with registration issues. It's no different than the problems people face with email. Only one person can grab "Bob@gmail.com". So we each try to come up with an email address that isn't too miserable but hopefully is easier to recognize and remember, while still being unique. (I'm fortunate in that regard - I've done a fair amount of genealogy research, and I'm pretty sure my first name/surname combo is unique in human history.)

Centralization will be a big topic with any project like this, to be sure. But it's a fact of life in many areas, and it's just a matter of working out the best solution with the best checks on abuse or undesirable outcomes.

I think the address re-use issue can be addressed with a smart contract type setup as I noted earlier, though I haven't thought that through in any detail.

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 07:16:15 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

You know that your address book in your wallet can be labeled any way you want.  You can have an address for "son" and I can have an address for "son" and there is no issue because we have just labeled an address in our own personal wallets.

If you want to fix the address reuse issue all you need to do is get an xpub from your son, label it "son" in your wallet and then every time he needs pizza money you send it to the next public address calculated from the xpub you have labeled "son" in your wallet.

Personally, I see no need to involve a central DNS type authority in this.  If people register with a central authority then the central authority has immediate an undeniable access to your financial records related to that public key or xpub.  This is a bad idea.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
ebliever (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1035

View Profile
May 05, 2017, 08:39:38 PM

You know that your address book in your wallet can be labeled any way you want.  You can have an address for "son" and I can have an address for "son" and there is no issue because we have just labeled an address in our own personal wallets.

If you want to fix the address reuse issue all you need to do is get an xpub from your son, label it "son" in your wallet and then every time he needs pizza money you send it to the next public address calculated from the xpub you have labeled "son" in your wallet.

Personally, I see no need to involve a central DNS type authority in this.  If people register with a central authority then the central authority has immediate an undeniable access to your financial records related to that public key or xpub.  This is a bad idea.

Yes, I can see how you'd be sensitive to that... good point.

Is 'xpub' a master public key? Am I correct in thinking that if you have someone's master public key you can generate new public keys that will be recognized by their wallet without any difficulty? I'm not familiar with this technique, is it something most wallets can perform?

Luke 12:15-21

Ephesians 2:8-9
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2017, 11:46:02 PM

Yes, I can see how you'd be sensitive to that... good point.

Is 'xpub' a master public key? Am I correct in thinking that if you have someone's master public key you can generate new public keys that will be recognized by their wallet without any difficulty? I'm not familiar with this technique, is it something most wallets can perform?
Yes, an xpub is a public key "seed" that is used to generate a deterministic sequence of public keys.  There is a corresponding xpriv that generates the corresponding deterministic sequence of private keys.  You have the xpriv, you give someone the xpub then they can send you Bitcoins on a periodic basis but use a different public key every time.  Meanwhile you can generate the corresponding private key when needed.

All HD (Hierarchical Deterministic) wallets can do this.  That is what the HD means.  See:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Deterministic_wallet

Or other links that come up when you Google HD Bitcoin wallets (Trezor is an example).

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
spartacusrex

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
May 09, 2017, 11:56:24 AM

Why not use NameCoin as the registrar.. ?

Life is Code.
matein30

Activity: 18
Merit: 1

View Profile
May 18, 2017, 11:59:02 PM

Why use registrar, instead we can make alias transactions to a specific burn address and if amount per time is greater than previous, alias is replaced. Minimum amount can be set to prevent spam and sybils.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: