Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 11:25:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will silver ever skyrocket?  (Read 3823 times)
iluvpie60

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 03:52:12 PM

If ailver went that high a lot of electronics would cost more. Likely what would really happen is that electronic companies would switch to use another metal that is cheaper. Maybe even figure out cheaper gold transistors or something. But they wouldnt want to keep buying silver at a high price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
pixie85

Activity: 2128
Merit: 524

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 07:57:39 PM

If ailver went that high a lot of electronics would cost more. Likely what would really happen is that electronic companies would switch to use another metal that is cheaper. Maybe even figure out cheaper gold transistors or something. But they wouldnt want to keep buying silver at a high price.
Just like platinum copper aluminum and other metals. We have a very wide range in electronic equipment, but the prices aren't really affected every time prices of these metals change.

I think silver won't go up much, because there's plenty of it to dig out, but i've heard predictions that by 2030 we might dig out most of our precious metals including gold and silver and we'll have to recycle what we have.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 19, 2017, 08:05:06 PM
Last edit: May 19, 2017, 08:19:10 PM by deisik

If ailver went that high a lot of electronics would cost more. Likely what would really happen is that electronic companies would switch to use another metal that is cheaper. Maybe even figure out cheaper gold transistors or something. But they wouldnt want to keep buying silver at a high price

Transistors are made neither of silver nor of gold

They are made of silicon which is as cheap as dirt. Apart from that, I don't think that silver is very widely used in electronics nowadays. Yes, I know that this metal is the best conductor out there (you needn't tell me that), but copper (cuprum) is not a bad conductor either, though it is a lot cheaper than silver (in fact, the electrical conductivity of silver is only marginally better than that of copper). So in the majority of cases it works pretty good and thus is by far more economically viable than silver. The bottom line is that most of demand for silver likely comes from jewelry and investments (i.e. silver as a precious metal)

Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
May 19, 2017, 08:18:55 PM

I remember silver prices were soaring in late 2010 after that I am not finding them gaining any significant up surges. Industries are finding new mixed components to alternate the need of silver. Still India kind of cultures are treasuring silver next to gold.

We may expect moderate appreciations for silver prices in coming years as both gold and silver are failing to convince investors as an alternate investment types. Probably bitcoin might have replaced them.
g___

Activity: 273
Merit: 252

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 12:50:03 AM

a few years ago, jp morgan chase bought something like 200 million oz of physical silver. jp morgan is the largest full service investment bank in the entire world. as entire markets are rigged, suppressed, and controlled by only a handful of people/companies, i wonder what they know/are preparing for...

🤔 🤔 🤔
cafucafucafu

Activity: 812
Merit: 509

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 03:06:42 AM

people say it will go to one thousand dollars an ounce or more but if it showed signs of going that high tech companies would likely switch to cheaper metals as alternatives and phasing silver out. it probably would not sky rocket for that reason alone.

i think so many people have silver that if it did go up to one thousand dollars an ounce it would cause economic inflation.

am i mistaken or did i miss something?

I doubt that silver will ever skyrocket in the sense that it goes over $1,000 an ounce.

It could definitely do that once fiat collapses but it'll never be $1,000 an ounce in 2017 USD value. I mean there is absolutely no reason, none why that would happen other than a huge ass bubble occurring.

As you said silver although used in electronics can be replaced by other metals if it were to be that high. There is no point for companies to keep using silver when there are cheaper alternatives around that does the job, but maybe just a bit less conductive.

I do hold a few ounces of silver and I'm by no means a silver hater. Just feel like that silver although better than gold is still impractical for day to day transactions involving small change, as it is not divisible as cryptocurrencies like btc.

Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 03:21:27 AM

I have a question about storing precious metals. I remember seeing in the news that in Dubai they actually have gold foil ATMs. I wonder, if you have a metal (say, silver) in two different forms (let's say, in leaf and in jewelry) they have same weight and purity, which one will increase in value later? Would the price of gold from a ring go down once it's melted down?

Jewelry seem to be more convenient to own since it's wearable but I heard they might not increase in value and you'd also pay for the craftsmanship on top of the price of the metal.

If ailver went that high a lot of electronics would cost more. Likely what would really happen is that electronic companies would switch to use another metal that is cheaper. Maybe even figure out cheaper gold transistors or something. But they wouldnt want to keep buying silver at a high price

Transistors are made neither of silver nor of gold

They are made of silicon which is as cheap as dirt. Apart from that, I don't think that silver is very widely used in electronics nowadays. Yes, I know that this metal is the best conductor out there (you needn't tell me that), but copper (cuprum) is not a bad conductor either, though it is a lot cheaper than silver (in fact, the electrical conductivity of silver is only marginally better than that of copper). So in the majority of cases it works pretty good and thus is by far more economically viable than silver. The bottom line is that most of demand for silver likely comes from jewelry and investments (i.e. silver as a precious metal)

Copper is definitely more abundant and is heavily used in electrical wires. Many people in my country actually scavenge it since people just throw old wires in the dump. We're not running out of copper anytime soon electronics to rely on silver. Silver has already lost most of its industrial use. It's no longer needed in photography and only expensive mirrors use it as backing and even in there it's not great since it'll eventually tarnish.
darthmaul

Activity: 714

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 04:06:49 AM

I barely think so. Silver is really dusty metal and can not skyrocket according to me. People have tendency to invest in less risky metal or crypto currencies. Nobody and why should anyone take the risk of investing into metal like that which can profit you rarely. Saving it is not worth it, instead you can invest in gold or bitcoin (if you asked) and can get really amazing rewards/profits by the time you sell it in month or so. This case is revers in case of silver, it grows slowly drops immediately so no one can really make profit from that. I would prefer alt coins but not silver.  Grin

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Przemax

Activity: 546

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 08:02:59 AM

There is one thing that is certain. Every price can sky rocket when the hyper inflation kicks in.

Silver is considered just like gold a luxurious commodity, industrial metal, and traditional form of payment. Silver is an older form of payment. Gold was established as an internal form of payment between banks and special interest people, not so long ago.

Wealthy families have some traditions mostly, so they should remember the value of gold. I do not think that those families values the traditions so much to make silver rise in price, because like I have  said the traditions of using silver as money is tradition that is less commonly held.

Physicly it would be way easier to pump silver as the market cap is way lower. And the prices will go up in price relativly more in the shortage of industrial material.
KuromaYoichi

Activity: 756
Merit: 251

Sovryn - 300-500% APY on USDT Deposit

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 08:17:15 AM

I don't think it will skyrocket next 5 year, but the price will go up because now the price is really low, almost as low as early 2000. Silver has many application so it will be hard to increase as it will affect other price.

.The DeFi for Bitcoin Platform.            ███   ███
           ███   ███
          ███   ███
         ███   ███
        ███   ███
       ███   ███
      ███   ███
     ███   ███
    ███   ███
   ███   ███
  ███   ███
 ███   ███
███   ███
▄  ▄██████████████████████▄  ▄
 ▀▄ ▀████████████████████▀ ▄▀
  ▀█ ▀████▀ ▄▄            █▀
   ▀█▄ ▀█ ████████████▀ ▄█▀
     ██▄ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███  ██
      ███      ▀█▄ ▀ ▄██
       ███▄ ▀█████ ▄███
        ████ ▀██▀ ▄███
         ▀███▄  ▄███▀
          ▀███▄ ▀██▀
            ████▄ ▀
             ████▀
              ▀█▀
SOVRYN███   ███
 ███   ███
  ███   ███
   ███   ███
    ███   ███
     ███   ███
      ███   ███
       ███   ███
        ███   ███
         ███   ███
          ███   ███
           ███   ███
            ███   ███
.300% APY on USDT Deposits.
████████████████████████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
olushakes

Activity: 476
Merit: 254

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 09:42:01 AM

people say it will go to one thousand dollars an ounce or more but if it showed signs of going that high tech companies would likely switch to cheaper metals as alternatives and phasing silver out. it probably would not sky rocket for that reason alone.

i think so many people have silver that if it did go up to one thousand dollars an ounce it would cause economic inflation.

am i mistaken or did i miss something?

If silver will go up, it would have done so since time past simply because it has been in existence at the very beginning no matter how cheap it is, people who are so conscious of luxury,  will see it as inferior and this people constitute the majority not by volume but by value and this is what matters. The only thing that  will make the surge happen is if other competing items are now becoming unaffordable which I am sure the protector of such competing good will not let happen.
Xester

Activity: 994
Merit: 544

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 11:15:13 AM

The possibility that silver will skyrocket in value will depend on the emergence of the need for silver. If the demand greatly increases compared to the supply it can possibly skyrocket and can overcome the value of gold. But somehow the possibility is thin since the production of silver is stable and can supply the current demand in the market.
g___

Activity: 273

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 02:38:44 PM

if it showed signs of going that high tech companies would likely switch to cheaper metals as alternatives and phasing silver out. it probably would not sky rocket for that reason alone.

have you heard of graphene? it will most likely replace silver in terms of its use in electronics/technology because it's way cheaper and just as effective.

If silver will go up, it would have done so since time past...

why would it have gone up? PM's typically have an inverse relationship to fiat - when an economy is strong, PM's typically don't perform well as the perception is that they're safe haven assets. the gold:silver ratio is way off and every expert will tell you it's because silver prices are suppressed on purpose.

darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
May 20, 2017, 08:43:28 PM

Copper is definitely more abundant and is heavily used in electrical wires. Many people in my country actually scavenge it since people just throw old wires in the dump.
Is it really worth it? I mean 1kg of copper is worth less than a dollar and you need a lot of these wires to make 1kg. I've been briefly interested in recycling electronics, but the amount of cleaning it was required to get a bit of gold or other metals wasn't worth the time, unless you're treating it like a hobby.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
ekoice

Activity: 742

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 06:14:56 AM

It would be a waste of time for us to wait expecting that price of silver would sky rocket.Silver is a secondary option for people who could not be able to buy gold.We had seen the previous history of gold and silver.From that,we could say that gold would sky rocket at many times and silver will not perform like that.
Pamadar
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1028

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 06:20:56 AM

It would be a waste of time for us to wait expecting that price of silver would sky rocket.Silver is a secondary option for people who could not be able to buy gold.We had seen the previous history of gold and silver.From that,we could say that gold would sky rocket at many times and silver will not perform like that.
Indeed its really hard to say whether this asset can be a good one to be pick then wait for some time to make it much worthy but why we need to wait if  gold already performing im not sure if investors will make a good prediction and support this assets.
deisik
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280

English ⬄ Russian Translation Services

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2017, 07:02:38 AM

Copper is definitely more abundant and is heavily used in electrical wires. Many people in my country actually scavenge it since people just throw old wires in the dump.
Is it really worth it? I mean 1kg of copper is worth less than a dollar and you need a lot of these wires to make 1kg. I've been briefly interested in recycling electronics, but the amount of cleaning it was required to get a bit of gold or other metals wasn't worth the time, unless you're treating it like a hobby

In some countries just one dollar is still a big deal

Further, scavenging metals (if we don't mean by this removing traces of metals from solutions, of course) is not just about copper, it is basically about any metal which has some value (apart from copper, silver, and gold, it may be aluminum). And in some cases the question is literally about tonnes of these metals (well, at least, about aluminum). Some twenty years I witnessed the process myself when old and abandoned fighter jets (like Mig-19 and MiG-21) had been "recycled" as scrap metal by these scavengers

PokerFace3

Activity: 700

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 08:42:29 AM

You must be right that silver or even any bullion lost their shine to attract investors by being a hot investments any more.

I did read billions follow some 12 years cycle like they do find rising prices for 12 years and next 12 years may fall down or remain stable. From 2001 to 2013, gold prices soared heavily. But in 2013 it found down fall now remains stable. If that theory is right, we can expect silver to skyrocket by 2025.
megynacuna

Activity: 756
Merit: 253

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 09:14:06 AM

I don't think it will skyrocket next 5 year, but the price will go up because now the price is really low, almost as low as early 2000. Silver has many application so it will be hard to increase as it will affect other price.

Well I agree with you and its main competitor grapheme would likely replace it along the way somehow and that makes predicting silver's future very difficult.
Mometaskers

Activity: 1764
Merit: 584

View Profile
May 21, 2017, 01:28:06 PM

Is it really worth it? I mean 1kg of copper is worth less than a dollar and you need a lot of these wires to make 1kg. I've been briefly interested in recycling electronics, but the amount of cleaning it was required to get a bit of gold or other metals wasn't worth the time, unless you're treating it like a hobby.

They just take the wires and burn them. Yup, it's cancer waiting to happen. Problem is I live in one of those lower income neighborhoods (still not as bad as the one they show in India though, the one near the skyscrapers).

You'd know whether they got it legally or not depending on when you smell the stuff. If you smell it around 10 PM, you can bet they got it where they shouldn't.

As for gold, I remember there was a time when there were people walking around, offering to buy broken SIM cards. I suppose they sell em to a recycling plant, or maybe just burn them.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: