Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 09:39:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bear Market is officially...OFF?!?  (Read 29273 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:36:19 AM

I would have to claim to have lost a huge amount of money (by my standards) by virtue of not cashing out a bunch during the big run-up.

Missed potential profit doesn't really count as a loss, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Not worried about it at all.  It was a totally conscious and calculated decision to shoot for a much higher target.  If we would have gotten to around $600/BTC on the run-up I would have started the next phase.  We didn't.  On this last cycle.

I consider the 'higher target' a long-shot and will not be surprised at all if it never happens or if I miss the boat for some reason should it occur.  But I also considered 10x to be a long-shot and always anticipated the probability of a total loss.  I currently feel that the probability of hitting the second target is higher than I suspected hitting the first one was almost two years ago.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:38:54 AM

I would have to claim to have lost a huge amount of money (by my stanmore dards) by virtue of not cashing out a bunch during the big run-up.

Missed potential profit doesn't really count as a loss, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

This is incorrect. There was no 'potential' profit, there was actual profit that was lost afterwards. Yes, that is a loss. Just like it was a gain before.

I find it psychologically a lot easier not to look at it like that.  I believe if you start thinking that way, you get emotional and are more prone to mistakes.
Plus, I live happier if I look at it like 'play money' and 'lost the moment you start speculating with it'.  
hl5460
Legendary

Activity: 1620
Merit: 1000

news.8btc.com

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 12:51:07 AM

BTC price is determined by demand and supply. While the demand for BTC to purchase asic miner is dead right now, it's natural to see the price drop mildly. We got a long way to go.

juca

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 01:47:02 AM

Greetings!
Everything that goes up, must go down. That's like life goes!
evolve (OP)

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:51:48 AM

I would have to claim to have lost a huge amount of money (by my standards) by virtue of not cashing out a bunch during the big run-up.

This is incorrect. There was no 'potential' profit, there was actual profit that was lost afterwards. Yes, that is a loss. Just like it was a gain before.

Sorry, but this is wrong.

It's not a gain until it is sold for a profit, and its not a loss until it is sold for a loss.  Until its sold, it is either "unrealized gain" or "unrealized loss". This is not the same as actual profit or loss (which is why you cant be taxed on it).

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unrealizedgain.asp
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/unrealizedloss.asp
RationalSpeculator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:01:23 AM

It's not a gain until it is sold for a profit, and its not a loss until it is sold for a loss.  Until its sold, it is either "unrealized gain" or "unrealized loss". This is not the same as actual profit or loss (which is why you cant be taxed on it).

Who said anything about the legal term 'unrealized gains'?

I was correcting him on the 'potential profit' wording he used.
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:11:01 AM

I would have to claim to have lost a huge amount of money (by my stanmore dards) by virtue of not cashing out a bunch during the big run-up.

I find it psychologically a lot easier not to look at it like that.  I believe if you start thinking that way, you get emotional and are more prone to mistakes.
Plus, I live happier if I look at it like 'play money' and 'lost the moment you start speculating with it'.  

Hi Spaceman,

I admire your honesty and ability to look inwards. I sympathise with your desire to feel good about your investments and I understand that not recognizing a drop as a loss makes you feel not so bad. I can also understand that you have good reason to bend reality if you otherwise would panic sell.

However, I think you are taking a dangerous shortcut because bending of reality (or said less nicely 'fooling yourself') can lead to much worse disasters than say panic selling. Denying what you have at risk with untrue statements that it is 'just play money' while it is actually an important part of your capital, or denying that you lost when it went down, can lead to ruin.  

Facing the truth of a loss, although painful, is the only way to improve your investment decisions, as it is exactly that pain that one needs in order to be motivated to change. That's why I think recognizing a loss is important in order to become a better investor, while indeed also setting up an investment plan/strategy so that you are less prone to panic selling.

Sorry for the lecture Smiley

evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:23:15 AM

Who said anything about the legal term 'unrealized gains'?

I was correcting him on the 'potential profit' wording he used.

Those terms mean the same thing; potential profit and unrealized gains are synonymous
Arcas

Activity: 1036
Merit: 524

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:27:55 AM

No, I should be able to claim the millions I lost by not investing my life savings at $.01 per BTC and selling at exactly $260 as a loss on my taxes.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:46:54 AM

It's not a gain until it is sold for a profit, and its not a loss until it is sold for a loss.  Until its sold, it is either "unrealized gain" or "unrealized loss". This is not the same as actual profit or loss (which is why you cant be taxed on it).

It's also a question of measuring stick. What's more "real"? Bitcoin or Fiat. Do you use the state-enforced fiat measuring stick, then yes, if you hold on to your coins through all the volatility, you have fluctuating unrealized gains/losses until you sell, then you have realized some gain or loss.

If you use bitcoin measuring stick and you hold some fiat, then the question is: when will you sell your fiat stash into this rally? (what goes up must come down).

If you use bitcoin measuring stick and have no fiat, you're not making any gains/losses, not even unrealized ones. You're just sitting on the sidelines with your real money.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
RationalSpeculator

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:47:47 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2013, 09:00:18 AM by RationalSpeculator

It's also a question of measuring stick. What's more "real"? Bitcoin or Fiat. Do you use the state-enforced fiat measuring stick, then yes, if you hold on to your coins through all the volatility, you have fluctuating unrealized gains/losses until you sell, then you have realized some gain or loss.

If you use bitcoin measuring stick and you hold some fiat, then the question is: when will you sell your fiat stash into this rally? (what goes up must come down).

If you use bitcoin measuring stick and have no fiat, you're not making any gains/losses, not even unrealized ones. You're just sitting on the sidelines with your real money.

It is way too early to measure value in bitcoins.

If all is in bitcoin your net worth did not go up in the runup, eventhough your purchasing power in the economy tenfolded.

This is a contradiction. Which part is wrong? 'your net worth did not go up' or 'your purchasing power in the economy tenfolded'?
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:21:05 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2013, 10:07:33 PM by Spaceman_Spiff

Hi Spaceman,

I admire your honesty and ability to look inwards. I sympathise with your desire to feel good about your investments and I understand that not recognizing a drop as a loss makes you feel not so bad. I can also understand that you have good reason to bend reality if you otherwise would panic sell.

However, I think you are taking a dangerous shortcut because bending of reality (or said less nicely 'fooling yourself') can lead to much worse disasters than say panic selling. Denying what you have at risk with untrue statements that it is 'just play money' while it is actually an important part of your capital, or denying that you lost when it went down, can lead to ruin.  

Facing the truth of a loss, although painful, is the only way to improve your investment decisions, as it is exactly that pain that one needs in order to be motivated to change. That's why I think recognizing a loss is important in order to become a better investor, while indeed also setting up an investment plan/strategy so that you are less prone to panic selling.

Sorry for the lecture Smiley

I don't think I agree with you.  In general (for most aspects of life) I agree that people deluding themselves or telling "white lies" to others to make them less sad/more optimistic etc. has a net negative effect, because it screws up the facts, and you need the facts in your decision-making processes to figure out the optimal solution.
However, I believe in trading it is well-known that people tend to be overemotional, and are often incapable of making rational decisions even if something is screaming "overbought" or "oversold" in their face.  Denying our emotional nature is self-delusion too.

Furthermore, I seem to get the impression that you think that my decision to look at it as "play money" will make me be riskier with my capital.  I don't think that is necessarily the case, because you also dampen the greedy emotions that lead to overinvestment in an overpriced asset.  At least, if you can do it right. I won't deny that I still thought/think about one day buying a house with BTC profits, or felt somewhat flustered/angry when the bubble collapsed that I didn't take more profit.  But I try minimize those thoughts when they occur.

Finally, I also believe that you can learn from your mistakes even without being (too) emotionally involved, perhaps even more so.  If I play a board game or a computer game, I strongly want to get better at it, regardless of the fact that there is no money involved.  But maybe that is because of my competitive nature when it comes to games, maybe I am just more emotionally involved to get started.  Could be that there is no right universal answer, and everybody needs to adapt based on their own character  Smiley.
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 06:31:32 PM

If all is in bitcoin your net worth did not go up in the runup, eventhough your purchasing power in the economy tenfolded.

This is a contradiction. Which part is wrong? 'your net worth did not go up' or 'your purchasing power in the economy tenfolded'?

This is the same point I was going to make.  Right now, BTC is integrally tied to USD... When the value drops, so does your purchasing power. If you bought 1 BTC at $266, right now you would still have 1 BTC, but you cant buy the same amount of stuff with it as you could 6 months ago.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 08:14:49 PM

This is the same point I was going to make.  Right now, BTC is integrally tied to USD... When the value drops, so does your purchasing power. If you bought 1 BTC at $266, right now you would still have 1 BTC, but you cant buy the same amount of stuff with it as you could 6 months ago.

I don't buy stuff with BTC today, I buy stuff with BTC in 15 years.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:03:33 PM

good day sir, I see bitcoin as a powerful educational tool. The gaming software is still new and what I would classify as beta. We have a long way to go, so I seriously hope no one get's the wrong idea and falls for craft strategies that repackagie bitcoin as some sort of get rich quick scheme... Ira

I hope people do.  Bitcoin is fairly unsatisfactory as an exchange currency and attempting to use it in that manner will probably result in a collapse, or at least in an evolution which quickly removes it from the category of valuable solution.  Employing it as a low velocity high powered wealth representation solution is probably it's best hope for sustainability and competitiveness against other solutions.

OTOH, it is possible to do much better than Bitcoin when targeting any number of needed niches so it could be a good thing if it 'burns out' trying to support 'skittles and goat cheese' transactions the world over.  It is largely simple greed on my part to hope for Bitcoin to eventually do another leg-up trick since I happen to hold a lot of them.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 09:48:24 PM

good day sir, I see bitcoin as a powerful educational tool. The gaming software is still new and what I would classify as beta. We have a long way to go, so I seriously hope no one get's the wrong idea and falls for craft strategies that repackagie bitcoin as some sort of get rich quick scheme... Ira

Sorry, but I don't see what you are getting at.  Are you saying that bitcoin is still a risky experiment, or that it has no real future and all of this is just like an interesting psychological test that will ultimately not lead to something usable? Or what exactly?
evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 10:41:18 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 12:20:28 AM by evolve

Fair enough.

The purchasing power of BTC 15 years from now may still be lower than it is today, though. It's still a gamble, IMO.
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 01:00:29 PM

Fair enough.

The purchasing power of BTC 15 years from now may still be lower than it is today, though. It's still a gamble, IMO.

Definitely agree with "it's a gamble", but that risk is one of the reasons why BTC1 can be bought for less than $100.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:41:30 PM

Fair enough.

That's certainly true.

evolve (OP)

daytrader/superhero

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 06:21:48 AM

Don't get caught in the suckers rally, people.  Even though there are profits to be made, we are still in a bear market...dont get greedy.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: