Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:21:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I think Ive been scammed  (Read 1550 times)
trashymonkey (OP)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 04:42:51 PM

So I was sold a macbook pro to someone over the internet for 9 bitcoins. Its a 1500 dollar computer. I have there address where I sent it (we are both in the US) and it turns out he duped the emails from escrow agent. Any chance I can report him to the police, maybe for fraud?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bapakece

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:09:04 PM

yeah report it for shiny igadget theft
trashymonkey (OP)

Activity: 133

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 05:19:53 PM

I dont know if you're being serious
ITsTanked

Activity: 54

View Profile
July 21, 2013, 06:31:11 PM

wait did you sell the computer or buy it?  What do you have, BTC or house address?
citboin

Activity: 58

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:57:58 AM

Sorry to say, but it looks like you've been scammed Sad

Bitcoin has the same irreversible properties as cash, buyer beware. Hopefully it was not too hard a hit for you. Buying high-value items with bitcoin is a little silly since there is no buyer protection. Better to use a "seller-beware" form of payment (pp, cc) unless you are down with goods that fell off the truck, but then you got to trust the buyer. Not recommended without escrow at least!
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 01:09:12 PM

Sorry to say, but it looks like you've been scammed Sad

Bitcoin has the same irreversible properties as cash, buyer beware. Hopefully it was not too hard a hit for you. Buying high-value items with bitcoin is a little silly since there is no buyer protection. Better to use a "seller-beware" form of payment (pp, cc) unless you are down with goods that fell off the truck, but then you got to trust the buyer. Not recommended without escrow at least!

He thought he was using an escrow, but obviously the escrow was the seller ...

You can not do anything. You can go to the police, but they will never find the guy (probably not even in your country btw).
Sorry for your loss...
morningtime

Activity: 160

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:33:36 PM

Bitcoin are not safe to pre-pay anything. If you want to buy a laptop with BTC, pick up the laptop first, then transfer BTC.

Bitcoin is not a CreditCard where you can chargeback after fraud. BTC is one-way and anonymous.
marjamrob

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 23, 2013, 03:49:53 PM

So I was sold a macbook pro to someone over the internet for 9 bitcoins. Its a 1500 dollar computer. I have there address where I sent it (we are both in the US) and it turns out he duped the emails from escrow agent. Any chance I can report him to the police, maybe for fraud?

If you know his REAL address, you can either:
    A. Call the cops.
    B. Bash his skull in.
    C. Pay someone to do B.
However, it is probably a drop address, which means he is probably safe.
OhAnonymousMe

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
July 24, 2013, 12:40:01 PM

Hey everyone,

This is not the OP, just the OP's account. I am the real seller of the laptop. The OP was the scammer that scammed me out of my MacBook Pro along with 1 fellow redditor, and after hearing that we filed complaints with the FBI he must have started worrying. My guess is he posted here to see if it really was a crime that could be reported to the police. He just happened to leave himself signed in.

Luckily, that redditor was able to confront him and reclaim my MacBook Pro from this thief along with the cash for his own Macbook Pro that he was scammed out of as well.

I just wanted to give you all an update that the author of this thread was the con artist playing the victim.

OK, I had to sign up just so I could reply to this thread.  Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems quite funny to me.  Let me get this straight.  Someone scammed you whom you mailed the computer to and somehow he wound up staying logged into his account and you happened to sit down at his computer and post this message on his account?  How the #%$%^$% did that happen?Huh??  ROFL!  It sounds to me like you scammed someone and got scared that you'd get caught and then you posted on here to try and explain yourself, but instead you got too scared to think.  If you think you did someone wrong by stealing their stuff, give it back.  Remember that karma will be in play and the energy you put out, you'll get back.  If you're going to be a criminal, choose a victimless crime at least.

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 12:44:25 PM

Wow, what an odd thread. OP if you scammed someone, prove your username wrong and return things to the right state.
marjamrob

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 24, 2013, 01:42:27 PM

Wow, what an odd thread. OP if you scammed someone, prove your username wrong and return things to the right state.

I think the OP has schizophrenia...
shantee

Activity: 381
Merit: 274

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2013, 01:24:25 PM

yep weird thread..

was it a MacBook pro full of LSD ?

10 Great Bitcoin & Litecoin related domain name on sale ! | MY ltc adress : LdCEBkFWAoXNcXXgvJ2zGRk35ircZouUx8
quicksilv3r

Activity: 132

http://INVESTNCRYPTO.COM

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2013, 05:05:06 AM

pm me arms4hire

►►►►►►►►►►►► ฿ #1 trusted Free bitcoin faucets ฿◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄ $/£/€ Earn free bitcoin Via Moonbit. $/£/€◄
►►►►►►►►►►►► ฿ Learn and Earn! #Cryptocurrency ฿◄◄◄◄◄◄◄◄ $/£/€ Learn and Earn! Cryptocurrency $/£/€◄
OhAnonymousMe

Activity: 12

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 05:06:33 AM

He said in his post he got the computer back from the scammer.  The scammer left his account logged onto this forum on the computer he got back from him.

Still sounds shady, but his story does follow.  He didn't walk over to the guys house and sit at his computer and post this.  The guy left his log on on his macbook which he got back.

Yeah, you're right.  I don't know how I missed that.  It still sounds like material for "America's Dumbest Criminals."
joesmoe2012

Activity: 882
Merit: 501

Ching-Chang;Ding-Dong

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 12:34:10 PM

Why is this in trading discussion, mods please move it over to Newbies, Scam Accusations, or the garbage.

Check out BitcoinATMTalk - https://bitcoinatmtalk.com
Tomatocage
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222

brb keeping up with the Kardashians

View Profile
July 28, 2013, 02:33:46 PM

So who is being accused of being a scammer?

Recommended Exchanges: Binance.com | CelsiusNetwork
GPG ID: 4880D85C | 1% Escrow | 8% IPO/ICO Escrow services Temporarily Closed | Bitcointalk is the ONLY place where I use this name (No Skype/IRC/YIM/AIM/etc) | 13CsmTqGNwvFXb7tD9yFvJcEYCDTB8wQTS | Beware of these SCAM sites! | *Sponsored Link
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2013, 02:38:00 PM

Roll Eyes

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: