Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:22:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: New bitcoin machine: To buy or not to buy?  (Read 3968 times)
iBTC (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:20:03 AM

I am as you might know new to this world, but it sounds nice and i am starting to love it  Roll Eyes Tongue

However i am hearing a lot of gaga about how/why BTC will be equal to 0$ in the future and how generating the bitcoins will be 1000x harder.

So the question is:
Am i too late to jump on this train?
I basically get free internet and electricity.
And i am ready to get those today and start mining for few months as a start.

How much is this gonna pay off?

BTW this is the gear i am gonna buy:
mobo: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 - AMD 890FX
GPU : MSI HD 5770 MODEL Hawk Twin Frozr II/OC (and might get a second one)
Processor: AMD PHENOM x2 555 Processor 3.2 GHz 7MB BLACK EDITION

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:34:49 AM

That one 5770 alone will make about .2BTC/day! So if difficulty stays the same (which it won't) it will take about 1 month to pay off just the GPU! Factor in the difficulty change that happens every 10-14 days, and you are looking at 3-4 months to break even, with a full rig of gear! If you had 5xxx series GPUs just laying around from previous builds, it would be a different story! If you were planning on building a gaming computer anyway, then the initial investment would be much lower due to the fact that you would have bought new hardware anyway! At current difficulty, 1GH/s+ is necessary to make any real profits!

You can also get away with a single core sempron CPU, a cheaper MoBo, and 1-2 gigs of cheap RAM, then put whatever you can into GPUs and PSU! The GPU is the money maker! A quality PSU is very important, since if the PSU dies, it can take all attached to it, with it!

iBTC (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:36:35 AM

That one 5770 alone will make about .2BTC/day!!
I wish i can find a goddamn 5870 in my local computer market.

I can buy a 6950 or a 6970, that's gonna ruin my budget but if it's worth it then no problem.

And i have already a gaming PC, Intel-dual core/nvidia video card etc etc, which only gets me 5 mhash/s.
So it's pretty useless in this mining.

AMD SEMPRON 1250 Processor 2.2GHZ, 512MB <= can that go with my gear?

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H - AMD 880G <= i can get that for a 100$ but it has one slot i need another extra one for an extra GPU, so any suggestions?

And by the way Ry, You are my hero!!
Please accept my 2 cents i sent your way Smiley
detroit

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:52:57 PM

If you're really into the idea, why not just replace your video card in your current machine?
I don't know the economics if that would pay off for you, but it's certainly cheaper than building a dedicated rig, especially to run one card.

Tradehill.com referral code: TH-R1494
Please consider using it if I've said something useful!
Oldminer
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 12:55:05 PM

speculate

If you like my post please feel free to give me some positive rep https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?action=trust;u=18639
Tip me BTC: 1FBmoYijXVizfYk25CpiN8Eds9J6YiRDaX
jalidi

Activity: 23

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 03:19:12 PM

In the short-term, your hardware investment won't pay itself off.

At this point coming into the game, it'll probably pay off a new GPU... and I don't mean a 6990, more like a 6950 at this point.

If you flash and overclock it, you'll get about what I'm getting, which is 380Mhash/sec. That's like half a BTC a day. In ten days, when the difficulty goes up, that will become a quarter BTC a day.

Now, I just built myself a new gaming system. It just so happens that Bitcoin was peaking meanwhile, so I'm going to put it online to burn in the new parts as part of the stress-testing. That'll bump me up to 1.2 GHash/sec, because it's coming with two 6970's in a Crosshair V attached to a Corsair AX850, and it cost me 1500 USD. I could've gone cheaper on some parts but it wouldn't be worth it in the long-run if you ever attempted to sell it or play games on it when your mining days are done.

The new rig will bring me up to about a full BTC a day, but then the difficulty will go up again to 3 million, and I'll be back where I started, half a BTC a day. It might go to a quarter if the difficulty does that impossible 50% jump, even. I'm projecting about 50 BTC to the end of the summer for my 1500 USD investment doing pooled mining. If I sold off the BTC as I worked, it will NOT pay itself off. Don't do that. If it ever goes to 30-40 USD again, you'll wish you held onto that pile.
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 04:10:15 PM

If you're really into the idea, why not just replace your video card in your current machine?
I don't know the economics if that would pay off for you, but it's certainly cheaper than building a dedicated rig, especially to run one card.

i think the original poster should just get a new GPU and new PSu if hte current PSU is inadequate.The last thing u want is 4 ur PSu to die on u n take everythin with it.If it's an Enermax or other high quality PSU,it should just shut off without damaging your hardware in hte event of overload or overheating

I hope this helps

P.S.I hear that if you have 2 Radeon HD 6950 GPU then get at least a 750W PSU cus you'll probably OC them to get the most mining power from those cards.

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
newguy05

Activity: 1316
Merit: 503

Someone is sitting in the shade today...

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 04:17:41 PM

That'll bump me up to 1.2 GHash/sec, because it's coming with two 6970's in a Crosshair V attached to a Corsair AX850,

hi how do you get 1.2 ghash with 2x 6970?

▄██████
       ▄████████
     ▄██████████
   ▄█▀     █████
 ▄███      █████
█████      ███████████████████████████
█████                           ████▀
█████                           ██▀
█████                          ▄▀   
██████████████████████████████▀
████████████████████████████▀
L I N K
by BLOCKMASON

..CREATE WEB APIS........
..FROM ANY SMART........
..CONTRACT.........................

█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█  ██████    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ █
█                     █
█ ▄▄▄▄▄▄              █
█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█

READ THE
WHITEPAPER

>>>

▄          █▄                         ▄
██▄        ███▄                     ▄██
████▄      █████▄                 ▄████
██████▄    ███████▄             ▄██████
████████▄   ▀███████▄         ▄███████▀
██████████▄   ▀███████▄     ▄███████▀
████████████▄   ▀███████▄ ▄███████▀  
██████████████▄   ▀█████████████▀   ▄██
████████████████▄   ▀█████████▀   ▄████
██████████████████▄   ▀█████▀   ▄██████
████████████████████▄   ▀█▀   ▄████████
BLOCKMASON
BUILDING THE FUTURE

FACEBOOK
REDDIT
TWITTER

LINKEDIN
GITHUB
MEDIUM
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:45:52 PM

That'll bump me up to 1.2 GHash/sec, because it's coming with two 6970's in a Crosshair V attached to a Corsair AX850,

Liquid nitrogen, overclock the cores to 1.6ghz each, install dry ice supply under the VRM.

The point is that he is prob. keeping his old rig so he has 3x6970.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 04:56:45 PM

And i have already a gaming PC, Intel-dual core/nvidia video card etc etc, which only gets me 5 mhash/s.
So it's pretty useless in this mining.

AMD SEMPRON 1250 Processor 2.2GHZ, 512MB <= can that go with my gear?

GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H - AMD 880G <= i can get that for a 100$ but it has one slot i need another extra one for an extra GPU, so any suggestions?

And by the way Ry, You are my hero!!
Please accept my 2 cents i sent your way Smiley
You can use PCI-e 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x! It's all the same for mining! You can even use PCI slots with adapters found here
http://www.cablesaurus.com/

BTW, Thank you for the tip! Wink

RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:01:52 PM

You don't! 850Mh/s tops!

iBTC (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 05:27:03 PM

Thanks guys for your enlightening comments  Cheesy

In the short-term, your hardware investment won't pay itself off...
What's short-term?  Grin
I am talking about a 4-months period as a start Huh
jalidi

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:12:26 PM

You don't! 850Mh/s tops!
No you don't, lol. But I have a 6970 from my old system which I am including in the new one which is already coming with two of them. So yeah, it'll be like 1150-1200 MHash/sec or thereabouts.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 07:48:58 PM

You can use PCI-e 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x! It's all the same for mining! You can even use PCI slots with adapters found here

That's not possible. I don't think a normal PCI slot even supplies adequate voltage for a PCI-e card.

It would be impossible to get the card to boot through an adapter.

You need at least a pci-e x1 slot.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 08:54:47 PM

If you flash and overclock it, you'll get about what I'm getting, which is 380Mhash/sec. That's like half a BTC a day.
Damn, with 440Mh/s I'm only getting about .42-.44/day.  What pool are you in?

Mousepotato
jalidi

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:25:29 AM

In slush's pool, but I'm getting about 0.44 BTC a day, too. Like roughly 50 hours for a full coin. I've tried different pools, and the return seems to be about the same, wherever I go.
chungenhung
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1005

View Profile
June 22, 2011, 09:39:26 PM

you are late, if you have to ask that question, the answer is to NOT BUY.
Price is not about $16, and difficulty is shooting thru the roof.
I stopped buying hardware about 2 weeks ago.
padrino
Legendary

Activity: 1428

https://www.bitworks.io

View Profile WWW
June 22, 2011, 09:42:14 PM

That's not possible. I don't think a normal PCI slot even supplies adequate voltage for a PCI-e card.

It would be impossible to get the card to boot through an adapter.

You need at least a pci-e x1 slot.

Most PIC to PCIe adapters have a separate power connector so you can get the power you need, that will take care of the power gap.

1CPi7VRihoF396gyYYcs2AdTEF8KQG2BCR
https://www.bitworks.io
iBTC (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 12:26:09 PM

Sad Angry Cry Cry
I have the money ready, i would hate to lose it on nothing, but still, despite the current un-stable situation there is hope in the future right?
Waltibaba

Activity: 38

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 01:12:13 PM

Sad Angry Cry Cry
I have the money ready, i would hate to lose it on nothing, but still, despite the current un-stable situation there is hope in the future right?

I'd say buy in, but start small. You say you have a gaming rig, then why do you need an 890fx board? If you want to use it as a pure miner, buy a VERY cheap mobo with 2 pcie slots or even 1 x16 and 1 x1. get a sempron 140, you dont need a dual core. And unless you care about your power consumption, don't get a 5770, get a 5830 or even 6950 (in the US 58xx seem to be rare I hear). You could also consider getting a second hand 775 board with a pentium, or 939/AM2 board. Worst case, you will lose much less than with your setup.

Otherwise, you could build a gaming rig with good mining GPUs, mine for a bit and then sell it to a gamer for good cash and little loss...
iBTC (OP)

View Profile
June 23, 2011, 04:35:18 PM
Last edit: June 23, 2011, 04:54:56 PM by iBTC

There is 5830's in my store should i buy one then buy another one when i make some BTC?

PS: 5830 is for $254 and the 6950 is for $375.

I'd say buy in, but start small. You say you have a gaming rig, then why do you need an 890fx board? If you want to use it as a pure miner, buy a VERY cheap mobo with 2 pcie slots or even 1 x16 and 1 x1. get a sempron 140, you dont need a dual core. And unless you care about your power consumption, don't get a 5770, get a 5830 or even 6950 (in the US 58xx seem to be rare I hear). You could also consider getting a second hand 775 board with a pentium, or 939/AM2 board. Worst case, you will lose much less than with your setup.
I wanna leave my current PC -intel/dualcore- intact, for gaming and work Tongue
And get a mining PC cuz i will leave it running and have no problem it eating my current PC resources.

And the 890fx board is very cool with 4 slots for GPU's.

Do you have any suggestions for the board?

My fav. store has only those:
GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 - AMD 890FX
GIGABYTE 880GA-UD3H . REV3.1
GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H - AMD 880G
GIGABYTE GA-MA74GMT-S2 AMD 740
ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 - AMD 880G

Otherwise, you could build a gaming rig with good mining GPUs, mine for a bit and then sell it to a gamer for good cash and little loss...
Yeah if i am done with mining (which won't be soon) i will sell it with a small loss or keep it.
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: