Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 09:21:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OP_CHECKVERSIONBIT : A TXN that can only be mined by signalling miners ?  (Read 377 times)
spartacusrex (OP)

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 01:36:52 PM

I was thinking about HOW it is that we are in the situation we currently find ourselves in.

The miners seem to have taken ALL the power, and we let them.. Or have we.. Wink

When I try to digest the UASF and what it means, I picture someone standing in font of a row of tanks, holding a pea shooter.

I'm rooting for him (the Users), but I think trying to beat the miners (the Tanks) at this game, is almost impossible.

We need to remember that Bitcoin has a LOT of moving parts. And the BIGGEST piece.. is that we.. the Users.. PAY.

What I mean is, WE PAY the miners FEES, for mining our transactions, and that amount is now comparable to the amount that is mined for finding a block. ie.. It's a LOT.

Well..

We need to be able to construct a txn that can ONLY be mined by a miner that is signalling SegWit.. hehe.

Now currently - this is not possible, as there is no way of accessing the 'versionBits' in the Block Header (where SegWit Signalling happens) from a script. (Unless please please some one tell me I am wrong ?)

BUT - if we had a very simple 'OP_CHECKVERSIONBIT' function (Same as OP_CLTV basically - but for versionBits instead of nLocktime), then we could create TXN's that could only be mined by a miner that is signalling for something we want.. like SegWit.

THIS. IS. POWER..

I would like to see how many miners hold out, when all the juicy fat txn fees are being gobbled up by the segwit signalling miners.. And only the scraps are left for those not signalling..

As I said - I don't think this is possible right now - but in future - I think it is something we should set up, so that when (not if) this situation arises again.. we can make our wishes known, in the strongest possible way. With our money BTC..

Soo.. is this possible ? (Or are there nasty attacks that can be done with this..)

Life is Code.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: