Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:51:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What issues can bad PCIe risers cause?  (Read 858 times)
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 04:44:37 PM

I haven't found a single place to find all the issues that bad risers can cause. I'm pretty new to mining and so far have found a number of them.

Here are the issues that I've run into so far:
-GPU not even being recognized (Initially I thought this was motherboard BIOS problem)
-GPU going to code 43 often
-GPU causing more than normal black screen flashes

And the most annoying so far:
-GPU to cause errors in HWinfo

I kept underclocking and adding voltage, but the errors would just continue. At first, I didn't think this could be a riser related issue, but after I changed out the riser, the GPU errors went away and I was able to clock it back up to where I thought it would be. One week of frustration; SOLVED.

Anyone else see any other issues with their risers?

Edit: Forgot to add one. Problems with reported hash rate vs effective hash rate in pool mining.

Moral of the story is, test your risers!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Riddle

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 04:50:34 PM

I fired one Z170 carbon and one Z270A Smiley

But dont know how to test risers without help of mobo
iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 05:30:40 PM

I have a test rig with a known good motherboard and video card. I know what the hash rate of the video card should be and I run it for a few hours on each riser.

This is a pain and takes a long time, but I know that I have good risers.
navydude

Activity: 283
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 06:10:06 PM

I had so many problems with risers. It literally took months for me to figure out that the risers were the cause of all my problems. They may work sometimes and then not others or atleast thats how mine were. I changed cards ordered new power supplies and mother boards, reinstalled windows many many times and finally bought new risers and boom....problems gone. I did have a few issues with drivers but new risers fixed 99 percent of the problems I had.

iamnoobplzhelp (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 06:15:27 PM

I had so many problems with risers. It literally took months for me to figure out that the risers were the cause of all my problems. They may work sometimes and then not others or atleast thats how mine were. I changed cards ordered new power supplies and mother boards, reinstalled windows many many times and finally bought new risers and boom....problems gone. I did have a few issues with drivers but new risers fixed 99 percent of the problems I had.

That's exactly why I want to raise awareness about riser issues. There are definitely posts about it, but I don't think it's prevalent enough. These issues can look like driver/bios/overclocking issues but in reality, are related to the risers. I always buy 1 or 2 extra per rig and test them out before using. As mentioned before, it takes time, but reduces headache in the long run.
AlexisGarci

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:38:34 AM

I have HWiNfo on but i wont see any errors, but my rig crashs!

I had problems with the drivers and i was getting the blue error, i did uninstall and re-install and ive never had that error again, but my rig mines for some hours and then crashs.

I got this errors the launch timed out and was terminated" and "Non-existant CUDA device #5 specified in -d option".

Any tips in what they can be? You think can be risers?
leonix007

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297

Grow with community

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:53:19 AM

I had problems with the drivers and i was getting the blue error, i did uninstall and re-install and ive never had that error again, but my rig mines for some hours and then crashs.

I got this errors the launch timed out and was terminated" and "Non-existant CUDA device #5 specified in -d option".

A simple trick is try not to use the risers, intall GPU's directly into your motherboard. if it runs solid for hours, then throw your risers.

oh btw, you also have separate threads with your concern, I've replied them though, try to do what I've said. Wink
AlexisGarci

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 02:56:08 AM

A simple trick is try not to use the risers, intall GPU's directly into your motherboard. if it runs solid for hours, then throw your risers.

oh btw, you also have separate threads with your concern, I've replied them though, try to do what I've said. Wink

i have a z270 gaming pro carbon and 6 1080ti cant not use risers lol
manji

Activity: 210
Merit: 174

BookiePro.Fun - The World's Betting Exchange

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 06:24:41 AM

yes, sometimes riser problems are often forgotten. I also experienced it. Sometimes Riser lacks power because it doesn't take into account the GPU power required through Riser. Riser itself requires power.

I experienced my Rig Restart itself, so actually wasn't perfect Riser in the installation, Riser melted the cable due to lack of power.

dcjim1

Activity: 41

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 06:40:15 AM

I haven't found a single place to find all the issues that bad risers can cause. I'm pretty new to mining and so far have found a number of them.

Here are the issues that I've run into so far:
-GPU not even being recognized (Initially I thought this was motherboard BIOS problem)
-GPU going to code 43 often
-GPU causing more than normal black screen flashes

And the most annoying so far:
-GPU to cause errors in HWinfo

I kept underclocking and adding voltage, but the errors would just continue. At first, I didn't think this could be a riser related issue, but after I changed out the riser, the GPU errors went away and I was able to clock it back up to where I thought it would be. One week of frustration; SOLVED.

Anyone else see any other issues with their risers?

Edit: Forgot to add one. Problems with reported hash rate vs effective hash rate in pool mining.

Moral of the story is, test your risers!

I got the same issue that I couldnt seem to resolve, so I disabled PCIE advance options.

My mobo/PCIe was giving a lot of PCIe correction warnings (picked up by HWINFO64 as PCIe errors). The logs shows PCIe error correction.

Couldnt pinpoint the riser that gave these problems.

Seems to be random. Some riser boards would be error-less, but some combination would register those errors.

So I gave up and disabled pcie advanced options which seems to include those error correction warning reports.

Would be happy if anyone has a better solution?

szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 28, 2018, 07:09:37 AM

What riser is best to buy?
cafox

Activity: 7

View Profile
February 15, 2018, 02:41:04 AM

I got the same issue that I couldnt seem to resolve, so I disabled PCIE advance options.

My mobo/PCIe was giving a lot of PCIe correction warnings (picked up by HWINFO64 as PCIe errors). The logs shows PCIe error correction.

Couldnt pinpoint the riser that gave these problems.

Seems to be random. Some riser boards would be error-less, but some combination would register those errors.

So I gave up and disabled pcie advanced options which seems to include those error correction warning reports.

Would be happy if anyone has a better solution?

How did you disable pcie advanced options?
stevej

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2018, 10:45:22 AM

I bought 6 VER009s risers.
I plugged everything in as normal, tested the board with the GPU in the socket for a startoff, was fine.
Hooked up the risers and GPU's and started computer. CPU fan gave one spin then nothing.
Thought I had a bad motherboard so took it back and got a replacement.
Installed it and hooked everything up and the same thing happened.
So took the whole rig into the computer shop so they could try it..
3 mining extra motherboards, brand new CPU, Brand new PSU later.
The risers were the last thing it could be.
Bought some VER 006c risers that I normally used from normal supplier.
Bought another motherboard as the other one was away for replacement taking 3 weeks to come back..
Very carefully followed normal process, booted up the first time with the GPU in the motherboard slot, checked bois, everything looked good.
Plugged one GPU into a riser and into the board. Started computer and it bloody worked !!
And its still mining now with 6 GPU in it without a problem.

It was the VER 009s riser all the time blowing Motherboards. I've never seen that before.
Learnt my lesson, I'll only buy VER 006c risers now which is what I normally use.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: