Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 05:09:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S7 miner one board hotter than the others, why?  (Read 768 times)
bronder (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 09:37:25 PM

about a month ago I got a used S7 that has run ok for now. However i've had to reboot a couple of times and I suspect it's because it went over 80C and stopped.

I check the board temperatures and one is running at 70-71C while the other two boards are running at 62-63C. Could this be an indication the miner needs a dustoff ? I'm running it next to an S5 (about 4 inches apart) so my other thought is that maybe the S5 is generating heat that is conducting to the S7 board closest to it. The S5 boards are running at 56-65C.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MyRig
Donator

Activity: 792
Merit: 510

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 24, 2017, 09:54:53 PM

possibility that S5 is influencing the higher temperature but to rule that out, you can move S7 into another air conditioned room and power it up and check the temperature. 

If in colder air conditioned room and 1 pcb is showing still hotter temperature, then, time to open the unit and see if cleaning be needed.  We have seen many units with temperature problem had everything you can think of collected and saved on the hash PCB and inside the S7 case.

dust, human hair, animal hair, hairball, candy wrappers, parts of vermine, insects.  So dust off may help if that is the case.

If dust off and in the cold room and the temperature will not be resolved, then please check the intake fan, if it is spinning at at least 3600 RPM. 

if none of those solves the problem... then you probably have some chips or components that are degraded but still function.  At this stage, not sure if its cheap enough to repair or seek used S7 and replace the parts or let it go

Repair on S7 pcb can cost from $35-$85 range some are less and some are more. 

about a month ago I got a used S7 that has run ok for now. However i've had to reboot a couple of times and I suspect it's because it went over 80C and stopped.

I check the board temperatures and one is running at 70-71C while the other two boards are running at 62-63C. Could this be an indication the miner needs a dustoff ? I'm running it next to an S5 (about 4 inches apart) so my other thought is that maybe the S5 is generating heat that is conducting to the S7 board closest to it. The S5 boards are running at 56-65C.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Antminer & DragonMint Repair  E-mail: support@myrig.com   T: @MyRig_com
Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
bronder (OP)

View Profile
May 24, 2017, 10:46:15 PM

I can't move the S7 to another room but I can power down the S5 for a trial period. So I will do that first. As for the fans I just checked and they are running at 4500 rpm or so.

I have seen a lot of dust on the fans so I imagine there's dust on the inside. I saw a few videos on how to clean the S7 so I will take that up once the S5 power down test is complete.

As for repairs it's too costly for me to send it for repairs. Are all boards on an s7 the same? this way I could just get a new-er board and keep as spare.
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2017, 12:38:36 AM

if you see heavy dust, probably that be the cause.

replacement wise, depends on where you are located,may be cheaper to just buy a replacement PCB.  or other units.  PCB version or model needs to match as there are several versions of S7 exist

I can't move the S7 to another room but I can power down the S5 for a trial period. So I will do that first. As for the fans I just checked and they are running at 4500 rpm or so.

I have seen a lot of dust on the fans so I imagine there's dust on the inside. I saw a few videos on how to clean the S7 so I will take that up once the S5 power down test is complete.

As for repairs it's too costly for me to send it for repairs. Are all boards on an s7 the same? this way I could just get a new-er board and keep as spare.

Return Address: MyRig 3700 Quebec Street, Unit 100-239, Denver, Colorado 80207, USA
bronder (OP)

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 01:22:59 AM

How do I know which PCB to get?
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 02:29:58 AM

The thermal paste can go bad too,check that last by removing heatsink & cleaning & reapplying with the correct paste,ask around about what paste is recommended  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
MyRig
Donator

support@myrig.com

View Profile WWW
May 25, 2017, 03:32:24 AM

There is no thermal paste in S7....

The thermal paste can go bad too,check that last by removing heatsink & cleaning & reapplying with the correct paste,ask around about what paste is recommended  Wink

fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
May 25, 2017, 03:22:10 PM

If you clean it and it still runs a little hot thats not really a big deal. Unless it is throwing a ton of hardware errors or crashing all the time just let it run a little hotter.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2494

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
May 26, 2017, 04:03:05 AM

Looking at the exhaust end the board on the left will almost always be a fair bit hotter than the other 2. Reason is the air flow in that location. Same applies to the s9 and t9. Just the nature of the design. The only reason for the *almost* is because s9/t9 miners with auto-tune can change it if Vcore is higher/lower per-board.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
Unacceptable
Legendary

Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2017, 07:44:45 AM

There is no thermal paste in S7....

Coulda sworn I saw folks cleanin & reapplying paste on S7 awhile back....my bad  Wink

"If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day long, you are the asshole."  -Raylan Givens
Got GOXXED ?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiqRpPiJAU&feature=youtu.be
"An ASIC being late is perfectly normal, predictable, and legal..."Hashfast & BFL slogan Smiley
HagssFIN
Legendary

Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706

Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2017, 07:58:17 AM

There is thermal adhesive in S5+, S7, S7-LN, S9, R4, T9, L3 and L3+ heatsinks.

bronder (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 04:11:56 AM

So today I got an alert that my S7 was offline, again! I couldn't go to turn it back on for almost 8 hours. Thanks to you and some you tube videos I had a pretty good idea that I had to clean it and how.

I finally went to my S7 and took it apart. There was caked dust along with some real life bugs that caused obstruction on the front end of the boards. One more than the others. I spent a whole bottle of compressed air cleaning it up inside out and took out each board and blew all the dust out.

Eventually I figured I got all the dust out that I could. I put it back together and turned it on. It wouldn't turn on at first but I figured out I hadn't plugged in the front fan first. Plugged it in and got it working fine.

Temps are now in the 50-60 range versus the 60-75 range that was before. I hope it can now work for months without stopping.

Thank you all for your help.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: