Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:16:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I lose Bitcoins in a Watching Only Wallet? I thought it was impossible!  (Read 426 times)
Frightened (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 01:17:12 PM

Well I was running some armory watching only wallets last year.  Due to having a shit pc, small hard drive and running it on my C drive it stopped syncing with the network.  This was about August time.  Tbh I did not worry about it I assumed my coins were in cold storage.  I could see all purchases so I thought it was OK.

I have bought a new PC.

Its windows 10 with the new armory just installed.

However one of my watching only wallets is not showing the correct balance.  Typically its the one with the majority of my bitcoins in.  In fact 2 transactions are missing (purchases from bitstamp last year).  I have not shown my private keys to anyone and still have them.  

How can I get the wallet to show all the transactions?  It doesn't have the address.

According to Armory it has verified 404977 blocks.  Is this right?

I'm getting a little nervous.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 4918

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 01:35:17 PM

Well I was running some armory watching only wallets last year.  Due to having a shit pc, small hard drive and running it on my C drive it stopped syncing with the network.  This was about August time.  Tbh I did not worry about it I assumed my coins were in cold storage.  I could see all purchases so I thought it was OK.

I have bought a new PC.

Its windows 10 with the new armory just installed.

However one of my watching only wallets is not showing the correct balance.  Typically its the one with the majority of my bitcoins in.  In fact 2 transactions are missing (purchases from bitstamp last year).  I have not shown my private keys to anyone and still have them.  

How can I get the wallet to show all the transactions?  It doesn't have the address.

According to Armory it has verified 404977 blocks.  Is this right?

I'm getting a little nervous.

If it has sync'ed and verified 404977 blocks, it's not completely sync'ed yet... At the time of writing the height is 468699.
Before panicking or searching any further, i'd try to make sure your wallet was completely sync'ed

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 01:35:22 PM

Just check your addresses in a block explorer and you can see if your coins are still there:

https://blockchain.info/

Frightened (OP)

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 01:42:18 PM

As an edit I have found the two transactions on blockchain.info.

I can see the right amount of BTC and the same public key address on blockchain.info as is in our armory wallet.  However, on Amroray is says 0BTC as balance I cannot see any transaction.

Chilling out a bit after finding the transactions

Thanks for the help so far!
Holliday
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1009

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:40:01 AM

However, on Amroray is says 0BTC as balance I cannot see any transaction.

The answer was already provided.

In order for Armory to "know" about your transactions, it needs to have the data from the block in which those transactions occurred. In other words, Bitcoin Core needs to be synced for Armory to work properly.

Bitcoin Core is synced when there is a check mark in the bottom right corner. It will say "Up to date" when you mouse over it.

If you aren't the sole controller of your private keys, you don't have any bitcoins.
Frightened (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 05:58:08 AM

Bitcoin core is still downloading.  I think this is the problem though.  Guess I'll find out later today
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: