Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:23:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Assuming bitcoin stabilized in value one day what would the annual rate be?  (Read 2002 times)
notig (OP)

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 02:53:34 AM

the annual rate of deflation?

I guess I should clarify: In relation to the dollar. Obviously the dollar inflates at least 3 % or something per year. So that means bitcoin would appear to at least deflate 3% per year (not including growth) right?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 08:57:16 AM

Bitcoin will not stabilize until it consumes the whole global economy. Dollar price will become irrelevant before that moment: people would dump dollars en masse when BTC is in hands of 1% of all people.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 12:07:25 PM

I guess I should clarify: In relation to the dollar. Obviously the dollar inflates at least 3 % or something per year. So that means bitcoin would appear to at least deflate 3% per year (not including growth) right?

Very simple: Assuming that bitcoin stabilized in value its deflation rate measured in dollar is dependent on the dollar printing activity of the FED minus the known annual bitcoin mining rate at that time.

The dollar printing activity of the FED is totally dependent on future monetary policy.

Imho it makes no sense to measure Bitcoin deflation/inflation in relation to USD or any other state-controlled currency. Better use wheat, sugar, milk, or precious metals.
notig (OP)

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:22:45 AM

would it also be + the GDP too?

(in this case I mean GDP as far as what's inside the bitcoin economy)

if the GDP increases by 3 % and dollars inflate by 3% then bitcoin would have to deflate by 6% right?
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:24:05 AM

Bitcoin is inflationary.  The Bitcoin money supply is growing at about 12% annually.  That will drop to ~5% by the next block halving and 2% by the following one and then <1% by 2024. 
alexeft
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:27:38 AM

would it also be + the GDP too?

(in this case I mean GDP as far as what's inside the bitcoin economy)

if the GDP increases by 3 % and dollars inflate by 3% then bitcoin would have to deflate by 6% right?

I agree.
pretendo

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 05:55:19 AM

The market's time value of money adjusted for the bitcoin creation rate.
TimJBenham

Activity: 280

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 06:14:58 AM

Price deflation and currency appreciation are not the same thing. According to standard academic reasoning in finance, the stronger currency (bitcoin) should appreciate at a rate centered on the difference of their inflation rates. The inflation rate in bitcoin, even when it has reached equilibrium, will usually be negative. So there isn't enough information in your post to answer, even theoretically.

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
theta

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 10:22:48 AM

Bitcoin will not stabilize until it consumes the whole global economy. Dollar price will become irrelevant before that moment: people would dump dollars en masse when BTC is in hands of 1% of all people.

Not quite. People on aggregate are short dollars (via dollar denominated debt, mostly mortgages, as well as consumer debt and margin debt). Total private debt dwarfs the money supply, and this debt is being slowly repaid (or defaulted). This need for repayment creates demand for US$, which means that people simply can't "dump dollars en masse", they don't even have the option.
TimJBenham

View Profile
April 12, 2013, 04:04:15 PM

Not quite. People on aggregate are short dollars (via dollar denominated debt, mostly mortgages, as well as consumer debt and margin debt). Total private debt dwarfs the money supply, and this debt is being slowly repaid (or defaulted). This need for repayment creates demand for US$, which means that people simply can't "dump dollars en masse", they don't even have the option.

True but maybe the BTC/USD will be so high by then I will be able to payoff my mortgage with one of my minimum wage BTC pay checks!

You are a warlord in the outskirts of the known world struggling to establish a kingdom in the wild lands.
theta

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 08:50:42 PM

True but maybe the BTC/USD will be so high by then I will be able to payoff my mortgage with one of my minimum wage BTC pay checks!
So you are confirming what I said. You (like millions others) are short $, and you are looking for an opportunity to pay back your $ debt. You hope that the assets you bought with your borrowed $ (including your house and bitcoins) will appreciate in value (measured in $) so that you will pay back your debt. You won't "dump dollars" as you've already done it (you are short), if anything you are a future source of DEMAND for dollars.
TimJBenham

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:39:56 PM

So you are confirming what I said. You (like millions others) are short $, and you are looking for an opportunity to pay back your $ debt. You hope that the assets you bought with your borrowed $ (including your house and bitcoins) will appreciate in value (measured in $) so that you will pay back your debt. You won't "dump dollars" as you've already done it (you are short), if anything you are a future source of DEMAND for dollars.

It was a joke, theta. Lighten up.

I don't see how the "people" can be short dollars. Dollars are implicit claims on the sovereign, so the sovereign is short dollars and everyone else therefore has to be net long.

Evo

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:13:59 AM

I don't think it'll ever stabilize. But, when all the coins are mined and it's well-known, it should stop fluctuating so intensely and rapidly.
theta

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:03:02 AM

It was a joke, theta. Lighten up.

I don't see how the "people" can be short dollars. Dollars are implicit claims on the sovereign, so the sovereign is short dollars and everyone else therefore has to be net long.

hmm,  sorry,  I do need to lighten up I guess Smiley

true,  everyone else is net long dollars.  Everyone else is broken down to the private sector (households and businesses) and the forum sector (private individuals but also sovereigns). In the US'  case,  as the persistent  trade deficit suggests, it's the foreign sector that is very long dollars.  Mainly Asian countries (net exporters to the US).  The domestic private sector is net short  dollars.
Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 08:19:23 PM

Inflation is at least ~4.5-6%, the CPI is highly inaccurate: It's excludes food and energy and uses other such dishonest tactics.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: