Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:14:57 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: blockchain.info lost address cached  (Read 721 times)
Torrockz12 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:11:37 PM
Last edit: May 08, 2013, 02:47:47 AM by Torrockz12

Hey all, I'm a newbie here so this is the only section I'm allowed to post in but I would greatly appreciate if some forwarded this to Piuk. I made a bitinstant transaction to a blockchain wallet yesterday. I needed to make 2 different transactions so I added another receiving address. There seemed to be no problems at all, no warning not synced or anything. I proceed to my local cvs to pay for my coins that we're to be sent to my wallet (main address and the extra one). Get home bitinstant says everything went perfect check my wallet, only the funds I sent to my main account made it and when I check my receive funds area the second address I made disappeared! I retrieve the address from bitinstant email and it's watch only. I can't access my funds at all support tells me I'm screwed it was a 450$ transaction. I did NOTHING wrong and there was NO warning. As a broke student working a deadend job I cannot afford to just lose this type of money due to some glitch in there system. Piuk, anyone please. Help. Sad

Edit: All good found a cached wallet from around the time I made the transaction. It had the same password as the other account i sent it too. Weird, didn't think that was possible. All is well.  Grin

I downloaded Chrome Cache Viewer, went to edit and used "find" to search for block. Scrolled thru all the findings in search of the one created exact time when I got my payslip from bitinstant. Found an unfamiliar identifier, copied it and tried to login using my normal password, and bam my coins were there.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
chaoticmark5266

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:14:51 PM

ouch, that sucks. Hope this gets resolved and you get your money back.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4623

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:21:35 PM

- snip -
I retrieve the address from bitinstant email and it's watch only.
- snip -

So you're saying the second receiving address still shows up in your blockchain.info wallet, but that it is now listed as a "watch only" address?

- snip -
I added another receiving address. There seemed to be no problems at all, no warning not synced or anything.
- snip -

You added this additional receiving address with the "New Address" button in the "Receive Money" section?

I hope Piuk can help you (have you sent him a PM yet?), but since blockchain.info doesn't ever have access to the unencrypted private keys, I fear there won't be much he can do.  Perhaps the private key is still cached in your browser.  That might be your best chance to recover it.
Torrockz12 (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:29:04 PM
Last edit: May 07, 2013, 11:39:59 PM by Torrockz12

- snip -
I retrieve the address from bitinstant email and it's watch only.
- snip -

So you're saying the second receiving address still shows up in your blockchain.info wallet, but that it is now listed as a "watch only" address?

- snip -
I added another receiving address. There seemed to be no problems at all, no warning not synced or anything.
- snip -

You added this additional receiving address with the "New Address" button in the "Receive Money" section?

I hope Piuk can help you (have you sent him a PM yet?), but since blockchain.info doesn't ever have access to the unencrypted private keys, I fear there won't be much he can do.  Perhaps the private key is still cached in your browser.  That might be your best chance to recover it.

You are correct, but there's no key located in any cache of mine. I don't understand how this happened but there has to be something he can do. Things happen and I understand that but this wasn't my fault. It was on there side if I'm not mistaken. If I can't receive all my funds back, maybe at the least they can alleviate it somehow. I can't imagine that much money vanishing into thin air. I tried pm first but me being new I couldn't.

Edit: Sent PM to Piuk
piuk

Activity: 910
Merit: 1005

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 11:39:48 PM

MAy be you have got wallet identifier mixed up? Did you create more than one account?

anyroll

Activity: 14

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:39:58 PM

Do you really think Blockchain took your money? Odds are it was human error.
Torrockz12 (OP)

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 11:42:40 PM

MAy be you have got wallet identifier mixed up? Did you create more than one account?

I have more than on account but one is on my iPad on is on my laptop. I don't think I got them mixed up. Your support staff said that the address wasnt tied to any wallets. I went to receive funds and asked for a new one. That is what they gave me. No errors. No nothing. And I don't think you guys are like bandits or anything I'm sure there was error just not in my end. Couldn't have been.

Edit : The main address tied to my wallet I sent funds there at same time. I received those funds just the ones to secondary address missing
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:14:44 AM

That is what they gave me. No errors. No nothing.

They don't give you an address, you give them one.  When you generate a new address, your browser creates it and then encrypts the private key and sends the address and encrypted private key to them.  If for some reason your browser failed to supply them with the private key and/or address, then it doesn't exist and there's nothing they can do to help you.  They don't have it, they don't have your access to your bitcoins, and they don't have access to your cash.

It seems this is going to be a very expensive lesson in the importance of making sure that you have control over the private keys associated with an address before you try to receive bitcoins at that address. I'm not sure what went wrong for you, but unless your browser cached the private key somewhere on your hard drive, it appears that those bitcoins will remain inaccessible forever.  I'm not sure where blockchain.info caches the private keys, how are you so sure that your browser doesn't have it cached?
Torrockz12 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:22:39 AM

They don't give you an address, you give them one.  When you generate a new address, your browser creates it and then encrypts the private key and sends the address and encrypted private key to them.  If for some reason your browser failed to supply them with the private key and/or address, then it doesn't exist and there's nothing they can do to help you.  They don't have it, they don't have your access to your bitcoins, and they don't have access to your cash.

It seems this is going to be a very expensive lesson in the importance of making sure that you have control over the private keys associated with an address before you try to receive bitcoins at that address. I'm not sure what went wrong for you, but unless your browser cached the private key somewhere on your hard drive, it appears that those bitcoins will remain inaccessible forever.  I'm not sure where blockchain.info caches the private keys, how are you so sure that your browser doesn't have it cached?

I'm actually skimming thru my cache as we speak. I'm not sure what I'm looking for?
Torrockz12 (OP)

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:40:22 AM

BOWWWW!!!! I LOVE YOU MAN!!! IM IN THERE!!! I COULD KISS YOU!!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:41:44 AM

Sounds like maybe you found what you were looking for? If you found the private key, be very, very carfeful not to lose it now.  Wink
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 01:47:00 AM

Sounds like maybe you found what you were looking for? If you found the private key, be very, very carfeful not to lose it now.  Wink

You should also change the title of this thread.

Still around.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 02:00:24 AM

Congrats, you should also post here that how did you got your problem solved.
Just for future purpose, in case someone else gets same problem, so he can fix it.
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
May 08, 2013, 02:37:56 AM

Congrats, you should also post here that how did you got your problem solved.
Just for future purpose, in case someone else gets same problem, so he can fix it.

Yes please.  None of this thread has made much sense to me, but maybe if you wrote how you fixed this it could be useful to everyone.  Also I agree about changing the title.  It was pretty rude to accuse blockchain.info to begin with, at least amend it to say the issue is resolved.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: