Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:57:43 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Use Bitcoin to reward Bittorrent and TOR nodes  (Read 3192 times)
fimp (OP)

Activity: 304
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 10:44:00 AM

Bittorrent and TOR is often unstable and slow to use. But what if you as a user could specify in your Bittorrent/TOR client the amount of Bitcoins you are willing to pay per megabyte of received data? Your client would then send Bitcoins to nodes serving you content.

Nodes could claim different prices for serving different data. If an authority is looking extra hard to jail sharers of a certain movie or website, a node could specify a higher price for uploading this exact content.

Imagine Bittorrent being stable enough to stream movies and music directly. Imagine TOR being fast enough to use for all your browsing.

Is anyone working on this?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Scompee

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:22:10 AM

Probably not. The whole point of pirating is not paying for something.
DannyM

Activity: 275

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 03:36:50 AM

https://github.com/FellowTraveler/Open-Transactions/wiki/Business-Cases

• Operate a transaction server (running Open Transactions) in return for transaction fees. These can be earned anonymously, and thus the server has the option to run anonymously (on Tor or I2P, etc.)

• Operate a Tor outproxy, services paid for in digital cash. Finally these sorts of services can be offered for profit, instead of relying on hobbyists and enthusiasts!

• Integrated with an anonymous network, Open Transactions solves problems of resource allocation. College kids will leave their computers running all day while they're in class, so that anonymous file-sharing can occur through their computer while they're away (collecting digital cash postage in return.) When they get home, the postage is theirs to keep -- or they can use it to pay for their own downloads. Voila! Anonymous networks can now be drastically sped-up through the anonymous contribution of resources. If you don't want to contribute computing resources, that's fine: just pay for those resources with anonymous digital cash instead, and the network will provide you those resources from someone else.

• Write a Wallet software that is also a file-sharing client, that allows users to pay for faster anonymous resources using digital postage. The wallet also contains an anonymous network node internally, so it has the capability to collect postage as well. If the Wallet software is unregistered, then the postage is sent home to the software company. Also, expired cash reverts to the software company. But once the wallet is registered (with a payment to the software company) then postage is retained by the user and expiring cash is exchanged for the user. The wallet software itself can be distributed for free. This constitutes a great example for the next generation of file-sharing integrated with digital cash.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 10:36:12 AM

The point of this should be to pay for bandwidth, no content.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
ArXiS

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 11:20:15 AM

I disagree,
The amount of money that goes into Datacenters pockets for the warez scene is unfathomable,
The amount of hardware purchased to run on private lines is equally unfathomable,
Just because the end user (P2P) doesn't pay for content, it doesn't mean that its the whole point of pirating.

In reference to torrenting securely it would make more sense to sell seedboxes for BTC then to create a system of automated BTC exchange via x amount of secured Bandwidth.
VPN services for BTC would also play a better role then the suggested alternative.

This something currently being worked on by a few people I know @ more competitive prices then anywhere seen before Smiley

A quick sneak peek @ the introductory plan special

Diskspace: 100GB
Speed: 1Gbit Unmetered
Shared: 5-6 others
Available Clients:-
Rtorrent Rutorrent Deluge
FTP Access + Dedicated IP
1.0 BTC

If anyone wants to know more, feel free to PM me
martin

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 04:08:33 PM

It's also a good way to distribute free content, or large content, or to get a copy of paid content which isn't crippled by DRM.

This system could be made to work, but you need a significant number of bittorrent peers/tor nodes accepting payments before it would make any noticeable difference. As with bitcoin itself, adoption is probably the main hurdle.

Also, paying peers (in bittorrent) to preferentially send you content wouldn't actually speed up the network, it would slow it down overall. For one, you often only receive a block of content when you've uploaded some yourself, so this ensures that most peers at least upload something if you circumvent that some peers will spend their bitcoins to leech off the network. Secondly, and more spychologically instead of technologically, if people are paying for their bittorrent downloads they're probably going to leech; "I've paid for this", they think, "So I don't need to donate bandwidth and get a good seeding ration too".
wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 04:11:44 PM

Interesting idea. Paying for bandwidth (even a little) would give people incentive to run Tor nodes.

For bittorrent I'm not so sure.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
wolverine.ks

Activity: 375

View Profile
September 28, 2013, 10:23:44 PM

also consider YaCy, the distributed search engine.

bitcoin might be a good fit for that as well
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 05:37:24 AM

Bittorrent is used for legal filesharing too, you know
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
September 29, 2013, 01:25:13 PM

id do it hell i already run a hand full of tor nodes in the UK and id be happier to bring a few more online if i could cover the electric costs ir even a % of it
(TOR is to risky for me to run completely free)

super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:02:11 PM

As far as torrents I think https://bitfetch.com/ has already covered that market gap.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
fimp (OP)

Activity: 304

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2013, 04:04:16 PM

As far as torrents I think https://bitfetch.com/ has already covered that market gap.
How does that give incentive to seed?

super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 01:33:28 PM

How does that give incentive to seed?
Just covers the market gap, don't fully support the network. However if the service keeps a good seed ratio then it should be very helpful to the network.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 01:49:46 PM

I doubt people using Tor and bittorrent will be willing to pay anything to use those services.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
super3
Legendary

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 02:20:26 PM

I doubt people using Tor and bittorrent will be willing to pay anything to use those services.
Unsupported conclusion. Research shows that Torrenters actually spend more.
http://torrentfreak.com/file-sharers-buy-30-more-music-than-non-p2p-peers-121015/

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: