Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 10:54:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Redeeming casascius coin  (Read 595 times)
LocalBusinessman (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 12:12:46 PM

Hello!

Can someone tell me exactly how to redeem a casascius coin step-by-step in blockchain.info wallet? I would be really greatful Smiley

PS: I dont want comments like "dont redeem it it is very valueable etc."

Kind regards,
-LocalBusinessman
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 12:51:28 PM

First - DO NOT USE  blockchain.info, they are untrustworthy and can steal your coins.
Webwallets are incredibly insecure. I recommend using Bitcoin Core or Electrum. Don't forget to encrypt your wallet with a strong password and to make backups!

Also, never, and I mean it - NEVER copy-paste your private keys! Write them down on a piece on paper instead.
You should also make a Linux (such as Ubuntu or Debian) live USB (even if you already have an installation - it may be infected!) and boot from it to do the following.

Your casascius coin should contain a so-called mini private key under the shiny holographic label, it's going to look like S6c56bnXQiBjk9mqSYE7ykVQ7NzrRy.
This is a mini private key, which can be converted to a normal WIF one in multiple ways.

One simple way is to use bitaddress.org (Wallet Details tab) and entering your mini private key there.
WARNING: Do not use it online. I recommend downloading the repo offline (https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/v3.3.0.zip) (download link for the zip linked at the bottom of bitaddress.org).

After downloading the zip, unplug your Ethernet cable, and/or disconnect from the WiFi (make sure to disable it!).
Now, extract it in your home directory (you should be using Linux to follow the tutorial, didn't I tell you?), open it in a file explorer and double-click on the file named index.html)

Congratulations - you're running bitaddress.org offline.

Now open the Wallet Details tab and enter your mini private key there. Your address along with the WIF private key will be displayed, carefully write it down and double check.
You can then sweep this private key in your wallet of choice.

Tip: you don't need to do that if you are using Electrum, as it already supports mini private keys.

LocalBusinessman (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 01:21:32 PM

First - DO NOT USE  blockchain.info, they are untrustworthy and can steal your coins.
Webwallets are incredibly insecure. I recommend using Bitcoin Core or Electrum. Don't forget to encrypt your wallet with a strong password and to make backups!

Also, never, and I mean it - NEVER copy-paste your private keys! Write them down on a piece on paper instead.
You should also make a Linux (such as Ubuntu or Debian) live USB (even if you already have an installation - it may be infected!) and boot from it to do the following.

Your casascius coin should contain a so-called mini private key under the shiny holographic label, it's going to look like S6c56bnXQiBjk9mqSYE7ykVQ7NzrRy.
This is a mini private key, which can be converted to a normal WIF one in multiple ways.

One simple way is to use bitaddress.org (Wallet Details tab) and entering your mini private key there.
WARNING: Do not use it online. I recommend downloading the repo offline (https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org/archive/v3.3.0.zip) (download link for the zip linked at the bottom of bitaddress.org).

After downloading the zip, unplug your Ethernet cable, and/or disconnect from the WiFi (make sure to disable it!).
Now, extract it in your home directory (you should be using Linux to follow the tutorial, didn't I tell you?), open it in a file explorer and double-click on the file named index.html)

Congratulations - you're running bitaddress.org offline.

Now open the Wallet Details tab and enter your mini private key there. Your address along with the WIF private key will be displayed, carefully write it down and double check.
You can then sweep this private key in your wallet of choice.

Tip: you don't need to do that if you are using Electrum, as it already supports mini private keys.

Thank you for your long and specific reply, i really appriciate you for taking your time to help me.  Smiley

Wait, so if i use electrum wallet, i can redeem these coins instantly and make transactions/payments?

Kind regards,
-LocalBusinessman
SopaXT

Activity: 158
Merit: 113

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 03:29:10 PM

Yes. For this, you'll need to sweep the private key into your wallet (note: you'll have to pay the TX fee if you want to do this, you can optionally just import it if you don't want to pay the fee, but that's not recommended).
Open Electrum, and if you are going to create a new wallet, make sure to remember the seed!
Then sweep the private key: Wallet -> Private keys -> Sweep...
REMEMBER TO ENCRYPT THE WALLET WITH A SECURE PASSWORD AND DO NOT COPY THE SEED TO YOUR CLIPBOARD. DO NOT STORE THE SEED ON ELECTRONIC DEVICES.
DO NOT LOSE YOUR SEED. WRITE IT ON TWO PIECES OF PAPER AND MAKE SURE THAT NOBODY ELSE CAN READ THEM - IT'S RECOMMENDED TO STORE THEM IN A SAFE

Again, remember to make a backup of your (encrypted) wallet and the seed.
Treat the seed as your private key and never disclose it.

If my posts have helped you, please consider a small tip ↓

LocalBusinessman (OP)

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 05:59:33 PM

Yes. For this, you'll need to sweep the private key into your wallet (note: you'll have to pay the TX fee if you want to do this, you can optionally just import it if you don't want to pay the fee, but that's not recommended).
Open Electrum, and if you are going to create a new wallet, make sure to remember the seed!
Then sweep the private key: Wallet -> Private keys -> Sweep...
REMEMBER TO ENCRYPT THE WALLET WITH A SECURE PASSWORD AND DO NOT COPY THE SEED TO YOUR CLIPBOARD. DO NOT STORE THE SEED ON ELECTRONIC DEVICES.
DO NOT LOSE YOUR SEED. WRITE IT ON TWO PIECES OF PAPER AND MAKE SURE THAT NOBODY ELSE CAN READ THEM - IT'S RECOMMENDED TO STORE THEM IN A SAFE

Again, remember to make a backup of your (encrypted) wallet and the seed.
Treat the seed as your private key and never disclose it.

If my posts have helped you, please consider a small tip ↓

Hey!

If im getting done with redeeming my coin, i will defeneatly send you a tip Wink Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: