Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:35:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What type of a miner are you: BIG balls or BIG plans?  (Read 1294 times)
BTConomist (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
May 02, 2013, 11:29:50 PM
Last edit: May 04, 2013, 01:32:37 AM by BTConomist

There seems to be only two types of bitcoin miners: those with BIG PLANS (a.k.a. Investors) and those with BIG BALLS (a.k.a. Speculators). As can be expected, the ones with BIG BALLS are usually the loudest of the bunch, always chanting GOLD 2.0, GOLD 2.0, GOLD 2.0!!! But let’s face it, if it wasn't for these highly specialized gold diggers, bitcoin would have not become anything more than an intricate web of programming code.

Unfortunately, these same BIG BALLS miners can just as easily become the downfall of bitcoin, especially as we get closer to reaching the "21 million bitcoins" landmark. Perhaps as early as 2016 we can expect an exodus of BIG BALLS miners as there won’t be anything worthwhile left for them to mine (other than the alternative crypto-currencies, of course).

Fortunately, there’s still hope, and it involves building a BTC-based economy from the ground up. That’s where the BIG PLANS miners come in. They are the ones who want to see bitcoins used primarily as a currency rather than a speculative commodity/asset. However, for that to become a reality, miners must begin to actively commission projects/startups that transact solely in BTC (without converting BTC back to USD, etc). It is the only way to increase BTC money supply beyond the initial monetary base of 21 million bitcoins.

If you are a BIG PLANS miner who wants to save the BIG BALLS miners from extinction, feel free to suggest a project/startup that’s worth commissioning... Viva la BTC!!!

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 10:52:46 PM

Apparently, there aren't any BIG PLANS miners in this sub-forum... Oh well, looks like the recent bitcoin hype did not spark BTC germination either. Or is this too soon to call?

Bitcoins are earned, not traded! If you plan on hoarding BTC, you're on my target list. (And yes, it is possible to swim in BTC.)

Don't give me that Bull... I'm one of those honey eating Bears that the bees hope to never meet again... Viva la BTC!!!
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:00:02 PM

Apparently, there aren't any BIG PLANS miners in this sub-forum... Oh well, looks like the recent bitcoin hype did not spark BTC germination either. Or is this too soon to call?

Dunno more news related when it comes to developments its germinating but takes some time to pollen Mpex registration to trade is costly
And both lol
Havelock and Cavirtex holder (Investor in others investments) and speculator
Also Hybrid Currency 1.0 The Original Currency/Commodity XD
As for ideas
Any idea on the internet that's popular uses money and instead convert that cost to bitcoin Smiley
Shopping Site
Bandwidth
Etc
Or B. Merchants just accept bit as well certain roads

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=175270.0;topicseen
Business threads are all over the place

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 11:12:39 PM

Any idea on the internet that's popular uses money and instead convert that cost to bitcoin Smiley

It would be interesting to know which of those ideas would actually tickle a bitcoin miner's fancy.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:34:45 PM

It would be interesting to know which of those ideas would actually tickle a bitcoin miner's fancy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2013/05/03/living-on-bitcoin-for-a-week-the-bitcoin-diet/
Dunno something that's missing from the average joes diet Smiley

drhobomanxxiii

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:06:54 AM

I'm in it for the long haul; that being said, I do not have enough resources or skill in this field to be an innovator or invest in an innovator beyond just a small amount.

I have a feeling this is where most people who aren't doing day trading with BTC lie, then there's the last few who actually have the available capital to make it all happen.

One small point beyond this though...
However, for that to become a reality, miners must begin to actively commission projects/startups that transact solely in BTC (without converting BTC back to USD, etc). It is the only way to increase BTC money supply beyond the initial monetary base of 21 million bitcoins.

This isn't at all accurate... There's no way to increase the supply of BTC (though you can surely increase the effective circulation of it through fractional reserve banking.)

Call me picky, but I am interested in more people actually understanding how the economics of Bitcoin (and even economics in general) work.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 02:43:50 AM

However, for that to become a reality, miners must begin to actively commission projects/startups that transact solely in BTC (without converting BTC back to USD, etc). It is the only way to increase BTC money supply beyond the initial monetary base of 21 million bitcoins.

This isn't at all accurate... There's no way to increase the supply of BTC (though you can surely increase the effective circulation of it through fractional reserve banking.)

You don't have to take my word for it... Here's an explanation from the man himself.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 07:12:56 AM

Call me picky, but I am interested in more people actually understanding how the economics of Bitcoin (and even economics in general) work.

True that beats automated algorithms deciding how the market acts Smiley

drhobomanxxiii

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:19:57 AM

He's talking about units of the currency, not total supply. What he is really saying here is that there's 2.1 quadrillion Satoshis... Since a Satoshi is 100 millionth of a bitcoin, each bitcoin (21 million) has 100 million sub units to it. There's no increase in supply, only a change in the decimal place.
BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 02:41:01 PM

He's talking about units of the currency, not total supply. What he is really saying here is that there's 2.1 quadrillion Satoshis... Since a Satoshi is 100 millionth of a bitcoin, each bitcoin (21 million) has 100 million sub units to it. There's no increase in supply, only a change in the decimal place.

Note the question to which he had provided the answer.

His answer relates to economic expansion first and foremost,
not just to bitcoin's divisibility (currently set to 8 decimal places).

BTConomist (OP)

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 03:23:46 PM
Last edit: May 05, 2013, 04:46:57 PM by BTConomist

Are there any bitcoin miners who would consider commissioning the following project: Bringing a bunch of mainstream artists together for a cause, by hosting a concert where Bitcoin miners community is the main sponsor? Just think about how many types of people would get paid in BTC and then spend those BTCs right there by buying posters, drinks, food, etc.

The best part about this is that all prices will be quoted solely in BTC... We're talking about thousands of transactions without any dependence on currency exchange markets -- a true indication/representation of a viable currency and a growing BTC-based economy... And that's just one example of how to create a widespread deflation in a bitcoin economy.

What other projects are you willing to commission to create deflation for your less than $3 bitcoins?

drhobomanxxiii

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 01:43:27 AM

Note the question to which he had provided the answer.

His answer relates to economic expansion first and foremost,
not just to bitcoin's divisibility (currently set to 8 decimal places).

Don't worry, I read the whole thing.

The fact of the matter is that this wasn't an answer that could satisfy the question of "economic expansion" aside from saying that it BTC is divisible enough to be used even if its USD price goes up to $1bn. This has absolutely no relation to an increased supply of BTC, rather, it responds to an idea that Gavin inferred from the "economic expansion" statement that the price of BTC would necessarily rise.

Can you honestly expect to see a more thorough answer made within 140 characters?
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 06:35:03 AM

I've planned to have big balls. PROBLEM?

Schrankwand

Activity: 224

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 09:49:14 AM

I am both.

I have invested in everything you can buy to mine. Literally everything.

At the same time, I feel a rush daytrading funny sounding idiotic coins and taking part in pumps and pump on altcoins.

Big plans does not mean you don't sometimes love to lay the balls on the table.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: