Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:40:06 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BAN ALL SIG CAMPAIGNS  (Read 5567 times)
scox (OP)

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 10:36:01 PM

Days on end wasted scrolling through nonsensical, unoriginal and distasteful posts.

Members spamming the community with comments to advance their sig campaign earnings, prostituting themselves for pathetic amounts of Bitcoin.

It's a plague and it must end.

Discuss.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Sceptical Chymist
Legendary

Activity: 3290
Merit: 6764

Proudly Cycling Merits for Foxpup

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 10:40:54 PM

I'm a hypocrite but I agree with you.  My attitude at the end of 2015 was "If you can't beat em, join em".  But English is my only language and I don't plop nonsensical scuntposts every 20 seconds.   

If this forum did away with campaigns,  I'd still post here.   It's a good idea.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
frompublic

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 11:10:35 PM

ban all sig campaigns is not a good idea. ban spammer could be the best option.
BitHodler
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1179

View Profile
May 28, 2017, 11:26:36 PM

It has been discussed many times before already, and the result remains the same ~ signature campaigns will not be banned.

I can only agree with the high level of spam here. For a while it was reduced to a certain extent, but I must note that it has become worse in the last weeks.

It's likely a combination of sold accounts and newbies joining here due to the increased price. It's difficult to find a thread that is worth posting in, or a poster that is worth quoting.

BSV is not the real Bcash. Bcash is the real Bcash.
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2017, 11:44:57 PM

Well if you are so mad with sig campaigns then you can either report these people and them to your ignore list or do what DannyHamilton does.

He just chose to ignore every signature member lol.
Take a look:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=973843.0
minifrij
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267

In Memory of Zepher

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2017, 11:57:58 PM

Days on end wasted scrolling through nonsensical, unoriginal and distasteful posts.
Members spamming the community with comments to advance their sig campaign earnings, prostituting themselves for pathetic amounts of Bitcoin.
Discuss.
While it may be hypocritical of me to say so, I believe that the fault is left on the higher management of this forum rather than the signature campaign themselves. theymos doesn't care about signature spammers polluting the forum, which as a result has it so that every other staff member cannot do anything about it without going against his word. I already know of at least one staff member that has adopted the "if you can't beat them, join them" attitude, mostly due to theymos' distance from the actual problems that are arising on the forums that he manages.

However, the forum is getting consistent ad revenue, so there is obviously nothing going wrong.

As for how to actually fix the problem, there is little that you can do about the lack of higher management. I know that several staff members have attempted to reach out to theymos about the issue or even try to battle the issues themselves. Sadly, these fixes either garner controversy or simply have limited effects.
There are a few ways that you could go about changing things from a user's perspective. You could try to maintain an ignore list like DannyHamilton or gadman2. However these could have limited use and require a fairly high amount of maintenance with updating. Another way that you could go about tackling this is by modifying the Signature adblock script to hide all posts that meet the criteria set by the program. If you are unsure how to do this, I could try to throw together an edit for you.

One final word however, while signature spam is a problem not all users wearing a paid signature are spammers. Users such as shorena and achow101 have given/give valuable input to the forum whilst wearing a paid signature. Regardless of what method you go about using, it could be worthwhile white listing some members from it to retain as much value as you can on the forum.
Wendigo
Legendary

Activity: 2604
Merit: 1036

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 04:29:24 AM

Oh come on drop all pretense already. Everyone is posting on this forum for their financial interests only. Users, mods, admins, the whole package. It doesn't matter if you have more green than the Brazil national flag. This forum is one gigantic artificial advertisement and nothing more.
jmigdlc99

Activity: 784
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 07:27:08 AM

I feel this is too drastic. One compromise would be for sig campaign managers to implement stricter rules when it comes to posting. Only constructive and sensical posts should be considered eligible for payment.

But I do see the problem with the increase in non-sensical posts. Quite annoying actually.

0xacBBa937A57ecE1298B5d350f40C0Eb16eC5fA4B
Thekool1s
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1218

Change is in your hands

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 08:43:44 AM

I feel this is too drastic. One compromise would be for sig campaign managers to implement stricter rules when it comes to posting. Only constructive and sensical posts should be considered eligible for payment.

But I do see the problem with the increase in non-sensical posts. Quite annoying actually.

That will be Time Consuming and its not worth the effort to go through each and a single reply and try to make sense of the response. The current system is flawed. If there were only some kind of voting system for each reply just like reddit, Only replies with X amount of Upvotes will be considered to be eligible for the payment. Also instead of sorting the replies by "time", They should be sorted by their "upvotes". That's one way of only getting the job done.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 09:49:36 AM

That will be Time Consuming and its not worth the effort to go through each and a single reply and try to make sense of the response.
Not really, no. You shouldn't be a signature campaign manager in the first place if you're not competent enough to combat spam. A simple solution, to at least avoid a fair amount of users would be to adopt the SMAS list:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1545652.0

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Cøbra
Bitcoin.org domain administrator

Activity: 123
Merit: 469

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 11:00:34 AM

Agreed that they should be banned. They encourage too many low quality posts. It also undermines the forum's very own advertisements.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 12:54:58 PM

One compromise would be for sig campaign managers to implement stricter rules when it comes to posting.

Stricter rules aren't needed when the manager of a certain campaign just selects non spammers. Non spammers have a natural posting behavior, they don't show any signs of ignorance when it comes to the rules of this forum, they don't chain quote others, they don't post with half broken English, they are correcting others where needed, they write with decent sentence formatting, etc. Seriously, a quick look into someone's recent post history is enough to see what kind of poster it is. And mostly when spammers get banned/kicked from a campaign, they confirm that they only post to get paid by suddenly stopping with posting completely, or they stop posting as frequent as they used to do.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 04:02:53 PM

Agreed that they should be banned. They encourage too many low quality posts. It also undermines the forum's very own advertisements.

They don't undermine the forum's advertisements.
A lot of people come here for the signature campaigns. Traffic is what drives the forum's advertisements as well.
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 06:36:42 PM

That's pretty much sums up general internet in 2017. Smiley

I get 0.04 a week,if you call that a pathetic amount in bitcoins,you're too rich for this forum.
(Shouldn't your name be on the donator list already?)

You did your part,really that helped in the Fight Against The Spam Combat so much.
LTU_btc
Legendary

Activity: 3010
Merit: 1323

Slava Ukraini!

View Profile WWW
May 29, 2017, 10:27:05 PM

Well, if theymos don't see signature spam problem, why sig campaigns should be banned?
If bitcointalk would disable signature campaigns, I'm sure that forum would loose big part of traffic. It's obvious that theymos don't want it
If you don't want to see posts made by people who are wearing paid signatures, just use DannyHamilton ignore list.
Signature spam is serious problem and reading posts made by spammers is just waste of time. But still, there are many good guys with paid signatures, even some staff members wearing it.

digaran
Copper Member

Activity: 1330
Merit: 899

🖤😏

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 10:52:24 PM

SMAS.

🖤😏
goldenchip

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:04:43 PM

It's just another form of advertising. I think moderation is what needs to be improved.

⚪ Byteball     ❱❱❱     I T   J U S T   W O R K S .    ❱❱❱
Sending Crypto to Email  -  Risk-Free Conditional Smart Payments  -  ICO Platform with KYC
ANN THREAD          TELEGRAM          TWITTER          MEDIUM          SLACK          REDDIT
pecson134

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 09:57:40 AM

Avoid generalizing signature campaign members just because you hate them. A certain post can be judge subjectively depending on how a certain person sees it but still there were cases that a single post can be proven nonsensical at the first time you sees it. If you were going to blame someone, then blame those who unjustly and intentionally posting spammed comments or just trolling the community. I sometimes didn't reach my quota on posting and I am not paid sometimes but I don't mind it because I only post when I'm feel like to post but not I'm obligated to complete it.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
ktabb

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
May 30, 2017, 10:25:07 AM

Discuss.

From the perspective of the owners of this forum, they would likely lose a lot more members than they would gain by doing this, and thus they would lose money. Therefore, I doubt this will happen. But I agree that it would make for a higher quality forum.

shroomzcoin

Activity: 150
Merit: 11

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 10:51:05 AM

Oh come on drop all pretense already. Everyone is posting on this forum for their financial interests only. Users, mods, admins, the whole package. It doesn't matter if you have more green than the Brazil national flag. This forum is one gigantic artificial advertisement and nothing more.
of course they are, but a fair amount of users are just spamming the boards, posting rubbish, and just copying articles from other places as they get paid per post, and they are a large part of the everyday user base. They make it harder for the people offering good advice, and discussions on coins and hardware because its filled with paid spam.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: