Bitcoin Forum
May 17, 2024, 12:39:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: CoinLab suing MtGox for $75 milliion?  (Read 19414 times)
Herodes

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:09:09 AM

What do you guys make of this ?

http://coinlab.com/status

Is it professional ?

Here's an excerpt:
Bitcoiners have, on average, lost more money due to technology difficulties, frozen / lost banking relationships and shady characters like pirateat40 than due to any part of Bitcoin's fundamental economics. I hate this fact, passionately. I have a vision in which high quality service and technology and ethics can be delivered to you, me, my kids, everyone who has a stake in Bitcoin.

It is my goal for CoinLab that we provide fundamental infrastructure to minimize these risks for everyone in our space, and I do mean everyone; from those on the Bitcoin Forums who dislike and distrust me personally, to the mom and pop cupcake makers in San Francisco, to my daughter who recently sold some knit products for .01BTC.

Roll Eyes
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:13:16 AM

Quote from: coinlab
Mt. Gox and CoinLab's shared trade execution system averages 80% of daily global Bitcoin liquidity.

I wonder what fraction of that percentage is CoinLab's?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
repentance (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:14:18 AM

Not to mention dropping this little bomb just before a long weekend in Japan.

Wankers... All of them.

What's the significance of the long weekend?

No MtGox support staff there to approve wire transfers or large withdrawals.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:14:39 AM

Is it professional ?

Here's an excerpt:
Bitcoiners have, on average, lost more money due to technology difficulties, frozen / lost banking relationships and shady characters like pirateat40 than due to any part of Bitcoin's fundamental economics. I hate this fact, passionately. I have a vision in which high quality service and technology and ethics can be delivered to you, me, my kids, everyone who has a stake in Bitcoin.

It is my goal for CoinLab that we provide fundamental infrastructure to minimize these risks for everyone in our space, and I do mean everyone; from those on the Bitcoin Forums who dislike and distrust me personally, to the mom and pop cupcake makers in San Francisco, to my daughter who recently sold some knit products for .01BTC.

Roll Eyes
Need to get rid of this calvin and hobbes type of backyard clubhouse behavior.   grow up.   deal with the real world.  this is not some video game world that you are playing in.   If coinlab is credible and wants to be seen as credible, go down to palo alto and get 20MM of funding and play like an adult.

jcpham

Activity: 165
Merit: 100

Your Argument is Irrelephant

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:15:15 AM

Is it professional ?

Here's an excerpt:

Roll Eyes

i spot the same personal cues you are hinting at. also the pirateat40 reference is a fracking internet handle, so i got real turned off at that point in terms of quality of release. i don't really care much for coinlab as a business entity.

edit: those are all non-professional opinions Smiley i'm new here.
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:16:39 AM

i spot the same personal cues you are hinting at. also the pirateat40 reference is a fracking internet handle, so i got real turned off at that point in terms of quality of release. i don't really care much for coinlab as a business entity.

Is this not appealing to our humanity? A little bit of humility doesn't hurt, does it?

Edit: Granted, it doesn't speak of high business.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:16:58 AM

Just make sure this is a true story before spreading it everywhere.

Yesterday we had false story of MtGox being raided by police. Today MtGox being sued for $75m.

It might well be true, but please someone contact CoinLab first to verify.

CoinLab have already said they haven't been served yet.

CoinLab are the people serving the writ. Its MtGox that said they haven't been served yet.

That's what I said  Grin

No you didn't. You said "CoinLab have already said they haven't been served yet". The people doing the suing don't get served anything.
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:18:15 AM

That's what I said  Grin

No you didn't. You said "CoinLab have already said they haven't been served yet". The people doing the suing don't get served anything.

Roll Eyes

Gosh, if only I'd removed the evidence to the contrary!  Undecided

empoweoqwj

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:19:52 AM

Just proves the bitcoin "business community" is still full of school children instead of business people. Take the bitcoinATM example yesterday.

Bring on the day when real business people start exchanges up. Then bitcoins will show their reveal value. Until then, expect squabbling kids to cause major crashes and pick up some cheap bitcoins.
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:20:17 AM

no i do not feel sorry for coinlab. i predict they fail and fail hard.

Some history there?

Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:21:23 AM

Forgive me if it's posted somewhere in this thread.  But has the complaint been posted online yet?  I'm anxious to read it.  

Just saw it.  Nevermind. 

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:25:12 AM

Forgive me if it's posted somewhere in this thread.  But has the complaint been posted online yet?  I'm anxious to read it.  

Yep.

If you can manage to make it all the way through the first post, it's on the page that the link goes to.

Edited: For clairty

repentance (OP)

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:26:41 AM

What is the worst case scenario for Bitcoin, Bitcoin users and MtGox clients?

When will the court proceeding realistaically take place? Will there be asset freeze? Etc?

Bitcoinica lawsuit still hasn't gone to trial so no time soon.

Nobody's lawyer is going to be advising them to actually take this to trial.  There'll be lots of negotiations back and forth in an attempt to reach a settlement.

This is sure going to make the Future of Payments conference interesting...

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:30:04 AM

Why would anyone trust Mt Gox in any business relationship after this?

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:31:47 AM

Why would anyone trust Mt Gox in any business relationship after this?

Because they control a very large, tasty pie and greed will convince them too.

Minor Miner
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1012

Be A Digital Miner

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:32:50 AM

What is the worst case scenario for Bitcoin, Bitcoin users and MtGox clients?
When will the court proceeding realistaically take place? Will there be asset freeze? Etc?
Bitcoinica lawsuit still hasn't gone to trial so no time soon.
Nobody's lawyer is going to be advising them to actually take this to trial.  There'll be lots of negotiations back and forth in an attempt to reach a settlement.
This is sure going to make the Future of Payments conference interesting...
Most lawyers suggest that you only spend as much on fees as you can credible get back from the party you are suing.  No pockets = little sense in suing.   On this issue, do you really think some federal judge will consider than anyone could lose $75MM on a $500k investment?

Nolo

Activity: 686

Whoa, there are a lot of cats in this wall.

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:32:57 AM

First thing I notice:  There's a big typo in this complaint.  

I guarantee the drafting attorney meant to write in Paragraph 3: "This is an action for damages in excess of $75,000.00 excluding interest, attorneys’ fees and costs."

Instead the complaint says "$75,000,000.00".

The federal diversity statute 28 U.S.C. § 1332 requires the complaint to be in excess of $75,000.  I have never seen any federal complaint when any number other than $75,000 is written in this paragraph.

So the $75 million number that is being thrown around is quite simply wrong.  

I'll continue reading the complaint now.  That's as far as I got before I noticed that.  

Edit:  In fact, there is a liquidated damages provision in this contract.  So the MOST under any circumstances they could get would be $50 million.  I'll have to lookup WA state common law on liquidated damages though to determine how the court will analyze this provision.

Charlie Kelly: I'm pleading the 5th.  The Attorney: I would advise you do that.  Charlie Kelly: I'll take that advice under cooperation, alright? Now, let's say you and I go toe-to-toe on bird law and see who comes out the victor?  The Attorney: You know, I don't think I'm going to do anything close to that and I can clearly see you know nothing about the law.
19GpqFsNGP8jS941YYZZjmCSrHwvX3QjiC
Herodes

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:33:18 AM

I'm tempted to say, I told you so, but at least it seems that my reservations (or rather questions) towards Vess were warranted.

Here's an old thread that could be relevant:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=148147.0;all

I don't know what Coinlab is trying to achive by suing MtGox like this. First off, if they intend to do business on the US/Canadian market, they need to have trust in their userbase. Knowing about all the scammy operations in Bitcoin-land, any new player must be super careful to build confidence in the community and with customers. You don't build confidence by suing the largest Bitcoin exchange for 75million dollars. I don't know how hard they've tried to get MtGox to cooperate, as we all know it can be slow getting MtGox do do anything, as they're swamped with requests. But I would think Coinlab has more effective channels of communication than the usual customer service channel.

Also - if Coinlab want MtGox to cooperate, then suing them won't make them much more cooperative I would think. So it seems to me that Coinlab is burning bridges and attempting a very opportunistic lawsuit. I also read in the lawsuit that Bitcoin is the most successfull kind of digital money. As Bitcoin has less market share than Paypal for instance, I don't think that's an accurate statement.

I'm looking forward to a statement from Mark Karpeles regarding all of this.

Edit: Someone else in this thread claims it must be an error in the court document, and that it's not 75 million dollars but 75 thousand dollars. That's quite a difference..
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:36:48 AM

Looks as if Peter has thought better of his press release and edited out the less professional elements.

Did anyone save a copy of the original?

Ooops! Looks like I was reading the wrong page.

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:38:39 AM

Business Plan

1. Receive 500k
2. Sue MtGox
3. Profit

American Dream...

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All