Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:05:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-05-02 - Gawker - MtGox/CoinLab Devolves Into $75 Million Lawsuit  (Read 3851 times)
TheRealSteve (OP)

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:48:32 AM

Quote from: Gawker.com
Bitcoin, the virtual currency libertarian geeks expect us all to use to pay for pizza in the future, has had a rough few weeks. A series of booms and busts have sent shivers down the spines of Bitcoin enthusiasts. Now, Gawker has learned that a much-hailed partnership between two of the most prominent players in Bitcoin, Mt. Gox and CoinLab, has devolved into a nasty $75 million lawsuit, which appears to be by far the biggest Bitcoin-related lawsuit ever.
http://gawker.com/massive-bitcoin-business-partnership-devolves-into-75-487857656

The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Inedible

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:49:06 AM

Wonder how many times this story is going to get posted?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
May 03, 2013, 12:52:55 AM

You can tell a stupid paid shill is the writer of this article.  He has no clue.  People were buying pizza with bitcoin years ago.  I would like to walk up behind these people and bitchslap them as they type.

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 12:58:55 AM

Jesus. More bitcoin drama.

Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 01:01:13 AM

You can tell a stupid paid shill is the writer of this article.  He has no clue.  People were buying pizza with bitcoin years ago.  I would like to walk up behind these people and bitchslap them as they type.

What are the tells of this paid shill?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood. 1N6rmaDiPf8ke3mx8217NykAMDZXkX713x
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 01:01:37 AM

Jesus. More bitcoin drama.

Isn't this part of the fun of Wild West Bitcoin - The Early Years?

kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:02:58 AM

Isn't this part of the fun of Wild West Bitcoin - The Early Years?

Bitcoin drama hurts our ability to grow, because energy is spent on lawsuits instead of growing bitcoin economy.

Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:05:23 AM

Bitcoin drama hurts our ability to grow, because energy is spent on lawsuits instead of growing bitcoin economy.

When the press gets onto this I'm sure there'll be plenty more damage to come.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

Activity: 588

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:09:00 AM

This is all true in the short term, but I think that in the long term this news might be quite good for the Bitcoin ecosystem.

If they both go their own way, instead of having one giant conglomerate, we could now end up getting two independent competing exchanges, one in Japan and the other in the USA.

And also this means we now have a nice increase in internal distrust in the ranks of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Which reduces the possibility of cartelization, corruption, and conspiracies within that organization.
kiba
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:13:28 AM

This is all true in the short term, but I think that in the long term this news might be quite good for the Bitcoin ecosystem.

If they both go their own way, instead of having one giant conglomerate, we could now end up getting two independent competing exchanges, one in Japan and the other in the USA.

If it plans out that way.

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:25:22 AM

If it plans out that way.

Well...we're certainly further along that road than 24hs ago.  And typically lawsuits are filed as a last resort, when dialogue is no longer possible.  So I'm optimistic that the whole deal will be scrapped and an unbridgeable chasm has now been created between Karpeles and Vessenes.

Reading the (granted, biased) lawsuit it seems like Gox basically just blew off the whole thing...it doesn't read like a minor misunderstanding or minor differences where the parties can meet in the middle.
Piper67
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:39:18 AM

And also this means we now have a nice increase in internal distrust in the ranks of the Bitcoin Foundation.  Which reduces the possibility of cartelization, corruption, and conspiracies within that organization.

This is all true, but tell me a small part of you isn't thinking "these wankers couldn't run a business selling water fountains in the Sahara"

Sometimes I think they're all plants for governments and big banks
Inedible

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:40:30 AM

Sometimes I think they're all plants for governments and big banks

Quite a convoluted way of destroying Bitcoin isn't it?

n8rwJeTt8TrrLKPa55eU

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:51:27 AM

This is all true, but tell me a small part of you isn't thinking "these wankers couldn't run a business selling water fountains in the Sahara"

Cheesy  Undoubtedly it would be nice if someday the majority of key Bitcoin businesses were actually run by competent & honest adults.  Alas, I can only fantasize about a wonderful parallel universe where D&T or Casascius have been running MtGox for the past couple years.  Or even Dread Pirate Roberts.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 03:35:46 AM

Interestingly this is almost exactly along the lines I predicted it would pan out ... although there is a small detail I predicted in the saga that hasn't yet come to fruition, a major hack of either Coinlab or Mt. Gox and in the ensuing melee a mysterious loss of customer's bitcoins ... mergers, lawyers and inexplicable thefts, the three-ring circus of 'business'.

mccorvic

Activity: 518

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:01:38 PM

You mean that Mt.Gox, once again, proves to be operated my incompetent children? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
StarfishPrime

Activity: 358
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 02:23:56 PM

This means nothing in the long term but is an excellent buying oportunity right now.

Quite honestly, it was unclear from the beginning why Coinlab even needed a deal with Mt. Gox when a huge portion of the Mt. Gox base would gladly jump ship to a venture-backed US-based exchange if the opportunity presented itself.

Hopefully Coinlab will spend their money on building what everyone wants instead of wasting it on a protracted legal battle with a foreign entity where the possibility of collecting damages is minimal at best.

Coinlab needs more coders, and fewer lawyers!

¦                     
  ¦    ¦¦¦               
¦¦  ¦¦¦¦                 
                             ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦
                          ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦                     
                         ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                  ¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦
                   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦

¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦    ¦¦¦¦
                    ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦
                   ¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦
                ¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦ ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
        ¦¦¦¦         ¦        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦¦          ¦      ¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦         ¦¦         ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦       ¦          ¦ ¦¦   ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦¦     ¦¦          ¦   ¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦     ¦          ¦      ¦   ¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦    ¦        ¦¦         ¦¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦¦     ¦¦         ¦   ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
¦¦¦   ¦     ¦¦         ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦   ¦¦    ¦        ¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
 ¦¦    ¦   ¦        ¦¦    ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
  ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦       ¦     ¦  ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦    ¦  ¦      ¦      ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
    ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦     ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
     ¦¦¦   ¦ ¦¦     ¦¦    ¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
       ¦¦¦¦  ¦ ¦¦    ¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦
                        ¦¦

TorCoin.....
¦
¦
¦
¦
  Fully Anonymous TOR-integrated Crypto
               ¦ Windows     ¦ Linux     ¦ GitHub     ¦ macOS
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
   ANN THREAD
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
     ¦
[/center]
noedaRDH

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Finding Satoshi

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 04:42:54 PM

This means nothing in the long term but is an excellent buying oportunity right now.

Quite honestly, it was unclear from the beginning why Coinlab even needed a deal with Mt. Gox when a huge portion of the Mt. Gox base would gladly jump ship to a venture-backed US-based exchange if the opportunity presented itself.

Hopefully Coinlab will spend their money on building what everyone wants instead of wasting it on a protracted legal battle with a foreign entity where the possibility of collecting damages is minimal at best.

Coinlab likely got Gox to sign a contract on purpose, one which Gox wasn't prepred for, so Coinlab could sue them in the end.

1NwGKiLcAngD1KiCCivxT6EDJmyXMGqM9q

Ask not what Bitcoin can do for you - ask what you can do for Bitcoin.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:29:30 PM

Coinlab likely got Gox to sign a contract on purpose, one which Gox wasn't prepred for, so Coinlab could sue them in the end.

This. It is starting to smell like a hostile bid trap has just been sprung. They are after Goxes monies and suing for damages is always a good easy way to start the negotiations ... just quietly I would not want to have any money tied up in either Coinlab or Mt. Gox right now in the event they "send in the clowns", all the money gets frozen and it is weeks, months or years until the what little is left is trickled back to the 'customers' ... that's how these things invariably pan out these days once lawyers get involved in money businesses, suddenly there is no money and no business.

bernard75
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:06:02 PM

What are the chances of the money and bitcoins being frozen until this is settled?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: