Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:18:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there a way to view replies and quotes to your posts?  (Read 1045 times)
TheAwkwardBrit (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 11:53:34 AM

Is there a way to view replies and quotes to/off your posts without having to go through an entire thread to find them?

Something similar to the inbox notification when someone replies to your comment on Reddit for example.
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 01:48:07 PM

Currently? no, there is no way to do that. Epochtalk (the new forum software) should have the alerts/notification system though, when you tag/mention someone or get quoted etc.
MMysterious

Activity: 972
Merit: 255

Bear season or just the beginning

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 02:34:10 PM

None that I know of, everyone goes through whatever you are going through when reading your post or if someone replies to your comments.
TheAwkwardBrit (OP)

Activity: 106
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 29, 2017, 10:35:35 PM

None that I know of, everyone goes through whatever you are going through when reading your post or if someone replies to your comments.

Darn, it's hard to readjust to using forums again after being spoiled by the convenience of modern social media sites.

Currently? no, there is no way to do that. Epochtalk (the new forum software) should have the alerts/notification system though, when you tag/mention someone or get quoted etc.

Do you know if there are any plans for Bitcointalk to be upgraded to this new software in the near future? 
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 12:17:17 AM

Do you know if there are any plans for Bitcointalk to be upgraded to this new software in the near future? 
I heard its developed since years and it should already be here years ago. So noone knows i think, if new version will appear in the end.
Maybe there are other plans now, you can try to ask in section to ask forum staff.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 4505

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 01:20:28 AM

Is there a way to view replies and quotes to/off your posts without having to go through an entire thread to find them?

If you are participating in a thread, it would be a good idea to be aware of the entire discussion.  If you just skip to the one response quoting a post of your own, then you'll likely miss out on other useful information, important questions, or people who reply to someone else's post but include your interest in their post.
MadGamer
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 02:14:10 PM

Darn, it's hard to readjust to using forums again after being spoiled by the convenience of modern social media sites.

Well, the Beta.bitcointalk.org is currently functional for sometime now, If I had to guess, I will say It should be released before the end of the year, we didn't see any official announcements from the staff though.
BlockEye
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1097

Bounty Mngr & Article Writer https://goo.gl/p4Agsh

View Profile
June 01, 2017, 02:23:02 PM

If you are participating in a thread, it would be a good idea to be aware of the entire discussion.  If you just skip to the one response quoting a post of your own, then you'll likely miss out on other useful information, important questions, or people who reply to someone else's post but include your interest in their post.

IMHO, he is just pertaining on replies on his post maybe his post is just a question which is not necessary to read others post. But honestly speaking. I still didn't see any forum that had this kind of feature. I believe that forum is created to interact to each other that's why no one had that kind of feature.
apoorvlathey

Activity: 1162
Merit: 547

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 03:47:10 PM

Something similar to the inbox notification when someone replies to your comment on Reddit for example.
There is no way to get notifications only about quoted posts, although you can click the "Notify" button on top right corner of threads to get whenever any new reply has been posted, via email.
If the thread is less than 20 pages, then you can use "All" option to see all replies and then search for your username using "Ctrl+F", that would return the required posts. But would not work for longer threads  Sad.

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
June 01, 2017, 08:01:35 PM

Oh boy... this is probably the third thread I've seen now with this same question.

I made one too ! https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1663951.msg16704318#msg16704318

There's no way to get a notification when your posts are quoted but I do have a method for seeking out any mention of names:

If you go into the search section of the forum and put down your name as the keyword, order it by most recent topics, then you'll be able to essentially get a notification list.

However, there is an interesting thing that happens with quote pyramids [and I think multiple quotes on the same topic] (when people continually quote one another to reply). You will receive the most recent quote.

For example:

Depth 0: You post a reply
Depth 1: User A quotes you
Depth 2: User B quotes you.

You'll only receive User B's message if you search, meaning that you'll have to go backward.

See, if you don't use search in the first place to look for these threads, then you would have never figured out on your own to search for your own name.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1829923.msg18227663#msg18227663

Thanks for the replies. I will use the search function for quotes.

EDIT:
I tried it but it shows the quotes sorted descending by relevance which means I can see for example posts from 2015 on the first page. Sad

Sort by most recent, and it'll give you the most recent quotes that are at the top of a quote stack, or any mention of your name. Simple enough.

A quote stack would be an inverse-pyramidal chain of quotes, where people refuse to chop off earlier quotes
ex.

reply #1
reply to #1
reply to #2

and it will show you the post from the deepest quote.

Please, people. All this information freely accessible at our fingertips and you squander it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: