Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 12:46:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin going to be between $50-$75 US tomorrow. :(  (Read 5264 times)
UltimateReaper

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 05:31:54 AM

i'll be waiting with my fiat just like last time it crashed to ~$50

You.

I like you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
johnblaze

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:11:49 AM

I run a market maker bot.  I haven't run it in a while, so my trade fees are still pretty high.  1.3% covers the fees and gives me a small profit on each trade pair.  The exchange makes quite a bit more than me off my trading at this point, but I'd rather trade more often to get my fees down for the longer term.  I'm really just playing around with it at this point, but when the semester is over I'll have time to clean it up and add some features.  I'll also have more time to watch it for a while, so at that point I'll start ramping up my trade volume.  There's still a lot of volatility this market has to work out.

what does the bot do specifically? i'm curious how market making works...

you place orders on both sides of the market and hope to capture the spread? what if the market moves against you? how do you close bad positions?
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 06:20:34 AM

I run a market maker bot.  I haven't run it in a while, so my trade fees are still pretty high.  1.3% covers the fees and gives me a small profit on each trade pair.  The exchange makes quite a bit more than me off my trading at this point, but I'd rather trade more often to get my fees down for the longer term.  I'm really just playing around with it at this point, but when the semester is over I'll have time to clean it up and add some features.  I'll also have more time to watch it for a while, so at that point I'll start ramping up my trade volume.  There's still a lot of volatility this market has to work out.

what does the bot do specifically? i'm curious how market making works...

you place orders on both sides of the market and hope to capture the spread? what if the market moves against you? how do you close bad positions?

More or less.  I have some bitcoins that I don't mind selling at current prices.  I prefer to get more bitcoins, but if price rises too quickly and doesn't retrace, I'm left with dollars.  I then use those dollars to pay down student loans.  I just try to keep the order size small enough that I don't get completely washed out of one currency.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
giarc

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:11:52 AM

the market is always right.

lol

If anything I've said is vaguely useful feel free to show your appreciation
btc: 1MfMjYXnHkGyRSE9f14XJsmxruuiVreEDh
bte: 8dH3WNre8DPyuj3oCFFNetTtVMXygs59t8
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:14:48 AM

the market is always right, eventually

FTFY

Crypt_Current

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:32:05 PM

i'll be waiting with my fiat just like last time it crashed to ~$50

You.

I like you.

+1 you both seem alright.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:34:07 PM

FTFY

The market is the aggregate of everyone's individual versions of "right" at a point in time; the "freer" the market, the more outlandish ideas of "right" are included in the aggregate.  Is this an approximation of some objective reality?

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
notme
Legendary

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:41:12 PM

FTFY

The market is the aggregate of everyone's individual versions of "right" at a point in time; the "freer" the market, the more outlandish ideas of "right" are included in the aggregate.  Is this an approximation of some objective reality?

Sure, but only sometimes is it an accurate approximation.

Birdy

Activity: 364

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 11:57:26 PM

the market is always right.

lol, yes, because there is no limit to how often it is allowed to change its opinion.
WikileaksDude

Activity: 490

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:14:04 AM

Guys,

Get ready to see a massive sell off tomorrow, Too many people bought too many coins at $150+ once the news started to bring bitcoin to the attention of everyone.

They got in for the QUICK FLIP and are now shaking in their boots, either they put money in that they could not afford to live without, or they risked money that they can not afford to lose. For the last 7 days bitcoin has been trying to stay afloat, sadly though the time has come and we'll be seeing a sub $75 bitcoin by tomorrow at this time, this boat has to many leaks, its going to need to be toed back to shore for repairs prior to sailing again.

I have sold all my coins between $200-$99 and I plan on buying back in the $75 or so range maybe even cheaper depending on how tomorrow goes.

Just thought I'd share my view and see what others had to think.

Surp

Good luck with all of this.
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:22:29 AM

It seems to be going up in price! What the heck do I pay you people for?!?
bitleif

Activity: 351

I'm always grumpy in the morning.

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 12:57:31 AM

there is no right

FTFY
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:26:29 AM
Last edit: May 04, 2013, 02:40:06 AM by BitcoinAshley

I don't understand what would be the point of testing 50 again, and I think traders realize that. That being said, I wouldn't mind a retest of 50  Grin

Bad news and infrastructure failures = bear market but how bad was the news really (a big shitty company sued another big shitty company, some guy quit his job at an ATMcorp that's doomed to failure b/c regulation, big drug site down causing dumps of coins, etc) that's not enough to justify the doomsday collapse prediction that some are making. None of that is a crippling blow to the protocol.

These are all war wounds. People will realize that governments are NOT going to make it easy to own and trade bitcoins. They will realize that relying on "big evil companies" to operate exchanges honestly - NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Buy BTC from your friend Joe. At some point in the future, OTC will be the easiest way to get them, and in some areas, this is already the case. Governments/corporations are NOT going to meet Bitcoin on its own terms, but Bitcoin meeting TPTB on *their* own terms would require Bitcoin to be completely stripped of everything that makes it what it is.
There is a "third way" and it involves consumers making smart decisions and realizing that governments and big companies are NOT going to be there for them to make their decision to use Bitcoin an easy one. This isn't like iPods and iPads and cell phones and SUVs this is revolutionary shit. Bitcoin threatens the status quo in an insanely dangerous way, and the decision to use it is one that will meet increasing resistance to individual and businesses. Yet, people are "sick and tired of being sick and tired" and will not bow down to Fiat, this is why stupid shit like BoA neutering Bitfloor, corp1 suing corp2, polish + canadian banks closing exchange accounts, etc - will make people panic sell at first but once they realize this is the norm, the way things are going to be for years, they will gladly accept these concessions in convenience and "government + corporation support" in return for (a) decentralized currency protocol, power to transmit value globally without a central authority (b) deflationary store of value (c) way to overthrow the central banksters and help put an end to power derived from manipulation of fiat, a.k.a. financial tyranny.
If you are of the opinion that Bitcoin will not succeed unless it is regulated, accepted by large corporations and governments, and ingrained into every facet of modern culture like cell phones and color TVs - sell all your coins now and get out, because let's get real here, that's NEVER going to happen. In the same way that we saw traders become much less likely to panic sell @ market price during the first hint of GoxLag (you know, fool me twice, etc?) we will see traders become desensitized to news like "X Bank shuts down Y Exchange's account in Z country." "X Deal fails due to regulatory requirements." Panic selling on news like that is letting the [financial] terrorists win Grin Grin Grin

The "protocol"/reference implementation is revolutionary and people trading on bad news or panic selling because of some interference that's only going to increase with time - isn't going to change that. The argument "Bitcoin has to be completely ingrained into every service, every government has to approve of it, regulation has to be introduced, the gas station down the street has to accept it, before it will become feasible and stable" is bullshit because that will NEVER happen, not in our wildest dreams, at least not before some massive upheaval involving the corrupt financial rulers, the bankster cartels. Bitcoin has to succeed as is, and it will, EASILY, given the current financial/political climate and the fact that things are only getting worse.

There was, is, and will always be a demand for freedom.

gogxmagog
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1009

Ad maiora!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:03:08 AM

good. got my buy orders at 50, 60, and 75. will see how it pans out.
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 03:11:58 AM

good. got my buy orders at 50, 60, and 75. will see how it pans out.

Don't hold your breath. We won't see anything lower than 80.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 03:16:40 AM

Most of my buy orders are in the 80s, I think we'll bounce off 78-80 once or twice more. But I think we'll go lower.
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:25:20 AM

Just havin a pretty hard time feeling bullish here.
xorglub

Activity: 204
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 04:44:29 AM

Here's my stance :

Short term (few days) is mildly bullish, the market cannot stay oversold for too long.

Mid-term (weeks/months), no so sure where we are in the deflation phase of the 2013 bubble.
Either we are in a downwards channel that will last a few months (with inevitable rallies in between) like in 2011.
Or we are already past that and recovering in a chaotic fashion after capitulation at $50. Again, in 2011, after the capitulation at $2 in October/November the price went up to a plateau at $7 in Jan 2012 and crashed back down to $4 in Feb before hovering around $5 until June. Is it similar to what is happening now ? I don't know.

Long term (years) if we didn't believe in Bitcoin none of us would not be here on the forums. Bullish all the way !
randrace

Activity: 329

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:22:02 PM

naphto

Activity: 392

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 02:22:53 PM

Roll Eyes ... Let's wait and see