Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:11:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (HELP) Risers to GPU Ethereum RIG  (Read 693 times)
ddgarcia (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 01:58:59 AM

Hello !   Tongue

I decided to just create a thread because I can't figure it out and I don't have anybody to aid me with this!
After weeks, even months, deciding either to invest or not on a GPU minning rig, finally decided to go for it!
I know that is always a risk and im sure of my decision!

I made a note with the equipments i'm planning to use however i'm afraid to fail on the connections parts, I don't really understand how the risers work and what sort of connection it needs to be ( maybe there are different types of risers?)
Anyway, I decided to post here the equipments with the respective connections and hopefully you can help me! even with the powersupply , for what should i point?

My issue is really if I'm missing something, what to be in mind on buying the powersupply and the risers Part....

Since most parts I saw where out of stock I went for this ( Opinions are always appreciated!  Grin)
I will start with 3 GPU's and later on maybe more 3 ( max is 6)

Motherboard
GIGABYTE F2A88X-D3H
Slots: ( for the risers?)
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.
(The PCIEX16 slot conforms to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
* To support PCI Express 3.0, you must install an FM2+ APU.
1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
3 x PCI Express x1 slots
(The PCIEX4 and PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2 x PCI slots

GPU
3x Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GB GDDR5 (PCI-E) 11260-02-20G
Stock Speed: 22mhz  Modded Speed: 29mhz

CPU
AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7Ghz

RAM
4GB DDR3 ( some generic ram with 4gb)

HDD
Just an old drive I have sitting here at home, about 500GB ( I think it's even more than enough)

FANS
I'm deciding yet if I will use a closed case or not ( for decorations purposes lol  Grin Grin) if so, i will buy about 4-6 fans just for cooling , i think it's alright for a closed case)
almost 99 percent sure it will be open air case but it's not important right now i think

A thermal paste(??)

I'm not worried too much about the power consumption...
I think it's only missing the risers and the power supply, can you help me on that?  Cheesy

Thank you!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
eodgooch

Activity: 2

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:48:02 AM

Get pci 1 to 16 risers. Something like this should suffice. https://www.amazon.com/6-Pack-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B01N3UVJHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496116105&sr=8-1&keywords=pci+risers You plug the 1x board into your pci slots and the riser to the graphics card. Lots of GPU mining rig blog posts to reference as well.

Good luck
ddgarcia (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 02:48:28 PM

Get pci 1 to 16 risers. Something like this should suffice. https://www.amazon.com/6-Pack-PCI-E-Powered-Adapter-Extension/dp/B01N3UVJHM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496116105&sr=8-1&keywords=pci+risers You plug the 1x board into your pci slots and the riser to the graphics card. Lots of GPU mining rig blog posts to reference as well.

Good luck

Thank you so much!!
I am only missing a power supply now, do you have any suggestion, that risers you suggest, the power connector fits into any supply? My problem in reallity is with connector, if they fit or not into different pieces...
nicky1088

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:00:46 PM

I would get a 1200 watt EVGA powersupply (1200 watts for expandability, also DO NOT EVER BUY A CHEAP POWER SUPPLY! ITS LIKE USING COOKING OIL IN YOUR CAR ENGINE BECAUSE YOU ARE OUT OF GAS! IT WILL DESTROY ALL OF YOUR EQUIPTMENT) Always go EVGA or Corsair.
ddgarcia (OP)

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 03:24:55 PM

Good luck

Thank you so much!!
I am only missing a power supply now, do you have any suggestion, that risers you suggest, the power connector fits into any supply? My problem in reallity is with connector, if they fit or not into different pieces...

and also, this motherboard has only 3x pci x1 slots, i saw that a x1 plug fit's onto x4 x8 x16, can you confirm me this?
I'm afraid of buying 6 of 16x to x1 and the motherboard only supports three...
TimeTeller

Activity: 2702
Merit: 588

View Profile
May 30, 2017, 04:18:37 PM
Last edit: May 30, 2017, 11:15:41 PM by TimeTeller

Good luck

Thank you so much!!

and also, this motherboard has only 3x pci x1 slots, i saw that a x1 plug fit's onto x4 x8 x16, can you confirm me this?

To answer a previous question - the pci risers that he gave the address for are one of the best on the market and they are self powered.
They have sata extension cables that allow you to use extra sata outlets from your psu, now if you have for some reason not enough sata connectors coming out of the power supply no fret...
They are extensions and on the x16 board that goes under the GPU  you can remove the extension and you will find a normal molex.
And yes the x1 fits into all pcie slots indifferently if x1 x4 x8 x16 simply plug it in normally.
ddgarcia (OP)

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 03:05:21 AM

Good luck

Thank you so much!!

To answer a previous question - the pci risers that he gave the address for are one of the best on the market and they are self powered.
They have sata extension cables that allow you to use extra sata outlets from your psu, now if you have for some reason not enough sata connectors coming out of the power supply no fret...
They are extensions and on the x16 board that goes under the GPU  you can remove the extension and you will find a normal molex.
And yes the x1 fits into all pcie slots indifferently if x1 x4 x8 x16 simply plug it in normally.

Thank you for answering man!
Just a quick question, for PSU what should i look for, i researched and the rig i'm planning each GPU (with overclocked settings etc) ends up with consumption of ~130w for each GPU
For the 6 GPUS I got about 780w, how much should i sum to this value for the CPU and the other components, I'm trying to just choose a PSU for the system, however there must be power standards on PSU currently on the market right?
Could you point me for what should i aim for?

Thanks again man
gwestcot

Activity: 794
Merit: 272

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 03:25:05 AM

Good luck

Thank you so much!!

Thank you for answering man!
Just a quick question, for PSU what should i look for, i researched and the rig i'm planning each GPU (with overclocked settings etc) ends up with consumption of ~130w for each GPU
For the 6 GPUS I got about 780w, how much should i sum to this value for the CPU and the other components, I'm trying to just choose a PSU for the system, however there must be power standards on PSU currently on the market right?
Could you point me for what should i aim for?

Thanks again man

The EVGA G2 1300W would work perfectly but if flash the bios and undervolt then you should be able to get a little lower power consumption per GPU. I would go with the 1300W variety since it gives you play room to dual mine but you could maybe get away with a 1000W variety if you just stick to mining ETH.
chohav

Activity: 251
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 31, 2017, 06:50:35 AM

As far as I see this motherboard can't support 6 gpus. You have slots only for 5 cards.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: