Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:50:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What is occurring when someone sells 1 BTC at a price lower than he/she bought?  (Read 1855 times)
Vishnu.Reang

Activity: 1974
Merit: 453

View Profile WWW
September 03, 2017, 03:42:07 PM

There is nothing special in it. I have myself incurred quite heavy losses while trading in altcoins. A few months back, I purchased Litecoin for BTC0.0092 and sold them for BTC0.0078. Lost BTC worth around $900 during this process.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ss890

Activity: 644
Merit: 263

View Profile WWW
September 04, 2017, 05:46:08 AM

There is no chemistry in the trading and investment world mate! You just lost ~$103 USD that is what it means. It was not used by anyone it just went to bitcoin market capitalism from where it was coming as people are investing continuously on the blockchain. The enthalpy remains constant if you know it very well. You neither helped anyone as you bought at higher price but someone might have bought it at even more higher rates and list their money into circulation. So you are not sure how much you contributed back, you may or may not. But in simple words you lost your money.

darkangel

Activity: 714
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 08:45:36 AM

Let's say I buy 1 Bitcoin for $2296.25 USD. I notice that the USD price value of the Bitcoin drops to $2093 USD, and let's say I want the US dollar amount, so I sell the Bitcoin at $2093 USD, whereby 1 BTC is selling for $2093 on the market.

Is that to say that the US dollar supply has deflated and that I am still, nonetheless, close to breaking even (assuming resistance along a network)?

That's the correct interpretation, right?

Because if Bitcoin works to significantly reduce the double-spending problem, then the (2296.25-2093=$103.25) $103.25 USD I "lost" was actually reallocated into society (1st law of thermodynamics). Thus, the ~$103.25 USD was used to benefit society (all of the Universe, socially) as a whole?

Or is that an incorrect interpretation because the "lost" money is allocated into society rather than my profits?

Or is it better to consider the drop in Bitcoin price was actually a reallocation of Bitcoin market cap. profits to society?
--> I guess that's like saying if the Bitcoin price drops, the market cap. was re-allocated into society, correlated with (if but causing) deflation of USD (if but all money), thus giving my $2093 the same (except a little resistance) buying power as the $2296.25 (used to buy the 1 Bitcoin) due to how Bitcoin reduces the double-spending problem: So, it's like I broke even because the amount of USD I obtained from selling the 1 Bitcoin is similar to the buying power of the amount of USD used to buy the 1 Bitcoin in the first place, right?

*sorry for edits
Of course no one wants it, when they have to sell it for a lower price than they bought it. And that would mean that the bitcoin would have gone down seriously if we had not sold it. Or maybe they need some money for something important. Or they feel unstable bitcoin want to give up. Right!
Sled

Activity: 1680
Merit: 535

Bitcoin- in bullish time

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:12:23 AM

Let's say I buy 1 Bitcoin for $2296.25 USD. I notice that the USD price value of the Bitcoin drops to $2093 USD, and let's say I want the US dollar amount, so I sell the Bitcoin at $2093 USD, whereby 1 BTC is selling for $2093 on the market.

Is that to say that the US dollar supply has deflated and that I am still, nonetheless, close to breaking even (assuming resistance along a network)?

Because if Bitcoin works to significantly reduce the double-spending problem, then the (2296.25-2093=$103.25) $103.25 USD I "lost" was actually reallocated into society (1st law of thermodynamics). Thus, the ~$103.25 USD was used to benefit society (all of the Universe, socially) as a whole?

Or is that an incorrect interpretation because the "lost" money is allocated into society rather than my profits?

Or is it better to consider the drop in Bitcoin price was actually a reallocation of Bitcoin market cap. profits to society?
--> I guess that's like saying if the Bitcoin price drops, the market cap. was re-allocated into society, correlated with (if but causing) deflation of USD (if but all money), thus giving my $2093 the same (except a little resistance) buying power as the $2296.25 (used to buy the 1 Bitcoin) due to how Bitcoin reduces the double-spending problem: So, it's like I broke even because the amount of USD I obtained from selling the 1 Bitcoin is similar to the buying power of the amount of USD used to buy the 1 Bitcoin in the first place, right?

*sorry for edits
Of course no one wants it, when they have to sell it for a lower price than they bought it. And that would mean that the bitcoin would have gone down seriously if we had not sold it. Or maybe they need some money for something important. Or they feel unstable bitcoin want to give up. Right!
If the price of bitcoin goes down then don't feel anything, don't panic, don't feel sad because everything is fine and it is a part of the game of bitcoin and if we are going to be positive minded person about bitcoin then we will just buy more bitcoin to get some cheaper bitcoin and add it to our current holdings to lower the average that we bought it and if the price spikes up again then it is completely a profit.
finzyoj

Activity: 644
Merit: 255

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 09:34:39 AM

In this industry, it is a different thing in thermodynamics, because the 1st law of thermodnynamics occurs in a natural phenomenon while when buying and selling bitcoin in a lower price is not, because the decision of selling it in a lower price is in yours. Thats why your loss is not going to the society to benifit them it might be goes to the people who also bought btc and sell in a higher price.
So if you are going to buy you should wait the right time and you should control your emotions to avoid panicking.

BIG WINNER!
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░
▀██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
▄████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄
▀██░████████░███████░█▀
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████
▀████████████████████▀

Rainbot
Daily Quests
Faucet
SirLancelot

Activity: 2478
Merit: 582

View Profile
September 04, 2017, 12:03:41 PM

There is nothing special in it. I have myself incurred quite heavy losses while trading in altcoins. A few months back, I purchased Litecoin for BTC0.0092 and sold them for BTC0.0078. Lost BTC worth around $900 during this process.
Why you sold your litecoins? We all know that prices are unstable and they do rise after dumps. It is really stupidity to sell off bitcoins or any other coin when the price is less than the one you bought them. We just need to stay calm with these coins in order to rule the crypto world.
Ararbermas

Activity: 1988
Merit: 283

View Profile
September 05, 2017, 06:00:08 AM

i think selling your bitcoin with a low prise than you have bought is not a good idea . Even you want to exchange bitcoin into a USD .cause we all knows that bitcoin has a chance to rise even its crashing sometimes.  . If i was you i didn't waste my money for nothing and wait for the time to sell.  So not repent after that.  Who knows? What if after you sell your BTC to USD and you didn't notice that bitcoin suddenly rise in higher value.? Haha so wait for the right time to sell . Best Regards
Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 06:32:23 AM

i think selling your bitcoin with a low prise than you have bought is not a good idea . Even you want to exchange bitcoin into a USD .cause we all knows that bitcoin has a chance to rise even its crashing sometimes.  . If i was you i didn't waste my money for nothing and wait for the time to sell.  So not repent after that.  Who knows? What if after you sell your BTC to USD and you didn't notice that bitcoin suddenly rise in higher value.? Haha so wait for the right time to sell . Best Regards
You are right. No one will ever want to have a loss by selling his Bitcoin at a low price that he had bought. I think there are very much less chances of this thing to happen. You can expect it to happen in a case when someone is really in a need of money and he has no other option than to sell them.
jekjekman

Activity: 378

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 07:41:43 AM

Then there is a loss that will occur of course, it is just simply a trading exchange that if you buy a certain price of bitcoin then it suddenly goes down the price then you decide to sell then it is obviously that you will loss the percentage of that down in price.

In trading currencies even in the real world and in virtual there are losers and winners it is just a matter who really understand the volatility and uses it to their advantage, there is no sure thing though.
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 08, 2017, 08:10:25 AM

I don't know what really happened to you at that day,, maybe on a hurry or just assumed that the deal is break you even.. But the case is you loss $100 and that is not a small amount to begin with.. Maybe your out of cash and needed for more promising opportunity at that moment.. A loss is a loss and so it might be a good experience as an advantage..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
gabmen

Activity: 1246
Merit: 529

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 02:47:10 PM

I don't know what really happened to you at that day,, maybe on a hurry or just assumed that the deal is break you even.. But the case is you loss $100 and that is not a small amount to begin with.. Maybe your out of cash and needed for more promising opportunity at that moment.. A loss is a loss and so it might be a good experience as an advantage..

What will occur immediately after that kind of loss is normally regret and frustration. If you're dealing with bitcoin, it seldom happens that you'll end up with loss of capital because btc price isn't as unpredictable as other altcoins. When you see the price go down, just wait and eventually it will bounce back

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
Report to moderator 

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..███████████████████████████████
Samueltalk

Activity: 308

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:04:09 PM

*sorry for edits
Ever thought that bitcoin gives good results, keep the spirit because it has become the consequence ....
joseafonso123az

Activity: 476

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 03:33:10 PM

I would call this as  a loss from your side that might have given a long time benefit to the buyer.  But this kind of things happen quite a lot in this market, because there are those who panics when they see BTC decrease, there are those who hold and just hold, and those who trade. All of these incur some loss in the long run. The 1st one because they might have bargained because of the panic. The holder, because he might have lost a opportunity  of investment. And the trader, because he might just have a bad day in trading an incur loss.
micromoney

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:46:24 PM

It's just simply unprofitable because in the long run you lose bitcoin which grows in price and lose that difference between buying and selling
yoseph

Activity: 868
Merit: 266

View Profile
September 09, 2017, 04:57:10 PM

*sorry for edits
You have made a loss whether you see it or not, the reason why bitcoins is also show in the US$ value is so that people will know exactly the value when they are buying or selling otherwise we wouldn't even know if we are making profits of losses when we are trading the currency.
Kiweikoo

Activity: 1036
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 15, 2017, 08:08:05 AM

There is no chemistry in the trading and investment world mate! You just lost ~$103 USD that is what it means. It was not used by anyone it just went to bitcoin market capitalism from where it was coming as people are investing continuously on the blockchain. The enthalpy remains constant if you know it very well. You neither helped anyone as you bought at higher price but someone might have bought it at even more higher rates and list their money into circulation. So you are not sure how much you contributed back, you may or may not. But in simple words you lost your money.

Definitely. I think there will hardly be anyone who will wish to lose his very own money which he invested to earn a good profit. But there can be certain reasons due to which one can sell his BTC in a less rate. Similarly there are chances of occurrence of such scenario but of course the chances are that much.
BlueStackz
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 11:58:15 AM

Definitely. I think there will hardly be anyone who will wish to lose his very own money which he invested to earn a good profit. But there can be certain reasons due to which one can sell his BTC in a less rate. Similarly there are chances of occurrence of such scenario but of course the chances are that much.
Indeed! We all are making investments into bitcoins and other currencies to make profits; no one ever wants to go for loss happily or deliberately. Whoever is selling bitcoins at low prices, he or she is doing because they are need of money on urgent basis. There could be many other situations in which this thing can happen.
Palmerson

Activity: 434
Merit: 255

Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 12:05:36 PM

Now all cryptocurrencies are food for speculators. The money from one pocket to another move. Everyone who earns money should know that the money someone lost. This is the main danger to cryptocurrencies. They don't work on production and therefore does not create surplus value. This is a typical the signs of a pyramid.

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀

♡   Live cams shows pimped with cryptocurrency   ♡
██Discord  |  Twitter  |  Medium  |  Youtube  |  Bitcointalk  |  Github██

▄▄██▄▄
       ▄▄███▀  ▀███▄▄
   ▄▄███▀▀  ▄▄▄▄  ▀▀███▄▄
▄██▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀██▄
██▀  ▄▄██▀▀      ▀▀██▄▄  ▀██
██▄ ██▀              ▀██  ██
▀▀████▄▄▄             ██  ██
▄   ██▀▀▀████▄▄▄      ▀▀████
██  ██       ▀▀▀███▄▄▄     ▀
██  ██             ▀▀▀███▄▄▄
██  ██▄▄            ▄▄██ ▀██
██▄   ▀▀██▄      ▄██▀▀   ▄██
▀███▄    ▀██▄▄██▀    ▄███▀
    ▀▀██▄▄   ▀▀   ▄▄██▀▀
        ▀██▄▄  ▄▄██▀
           ▀▀██▀▀
DrGuns4Hands

Activity: 910
Merit: 550

View Profile
September 20, 2017, 12:09:08 PM

I consider that as a loss. because if you're doing trading in bitcoins you must kept your bitcoin and wait till the bubble. we're like buying at low price and selling at high price that's the right doing in that case. I never sell my BTC at a low price because I'm thinking about the loss. I like the thing that I can double up the amount of my bitcoin which i invested than see it losing.
Anies_Sandi

Activity: 700
Merit: 252

View Profile
November 02, 2017, 01:17:44 PM

What will occur immediately after that kind of loss is normally regret and frustration. If you're dealing with bitcoin, it seldom happens that you'll end up with loss of capital because btc price isn't as unpredictable as other altcoins. When you see the price go down, just wait and eventually it will bounce back

if we sell bitcoin at a low price it certainly feels lost and disappointed. because we do not sell bitcoin when the bitcoin price is going up, and we can make a profit from that result. but if we sell bitcoin when pressed it is different.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: