Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:27:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with Armory initial setup and online mode  (Read 989 times)
horns273 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 22, 2017, 03:44:16 PM

I'm new to using bitcoin and am trying to learn as best as I can by myself. But, I've come across the following problem for getting Armory to online mode. And I made the mistake of sending funds to an Armory wallet before getting it online.

I downloaded Armory and Bitcoin Core. Armory said that it could not find the bitcoin installation. So I thought I needed to sync Bitcoin Core with the node. I went ahead and synced the nodes with Bitcoin Core to an external hard drive (which I'm now thinking might have been unnecessary). And Armory is still giving me the message that it can not find the bitcoin installation, but maybe I am pointing it to the wrong folder in Linux? It's hard for me to tell.

Any advice for getting Armory online? Thanks in advance

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 22, 2017, 09:10:22 PM

0.95.1 has issues with starting it's own bitcoind (Bitcoin Core). You will need to start Bitcoin Core manually.

In Armory, go to File > Settings and uncheck "Let Armory run Bitcoin Core in the background for me". Then stop Armory, start Bitcoin Core, let Core sync, and then start Armory.

horns273 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 02:25:27 PM

Thank you for the reply. I get the following Database error when I open Armory.

Armory failed to spawn the DB!
Continuing operations in offline mode instead.
Refer to the dbLog.txt for more information.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2017, 03:37:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. I get the following Database error when I open Armory.

Armory failed to spawn the DB!
Continuing operations in offline mode instead.
Refer to the dbLog.txt for more information.
Please post the dbLog.txt file which can be found in the Armory data folder.

horns273 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 04:44:52 PM
Last edit: April 23, 2017, 05:28:16 PM by horns273

removed text file for ease
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2017, 04:57:10 PM

You are using testnet. Are you trying to do that or are you trying to use the main Bitcoin network?

horns273 (OP)

View Profile
April 23, 2017, 05:27:23 PM

I think I need to use the main Bitcoin network. Not really sure, whatever's easiest. I'm trying to get an Armory wallet online to receive funds.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
April 23, 2017, 05:42:57 PM

I think I need to use the main Bitcoin network. Not really sure, whatever's easiest. I'm trying to get an Armory wallet online to receive funds.
The testnet is for development and testing only and coins there have absolutely no value whatsoever.

You want to use the mainnet. Make sure that when you run Bitcoin Core and Armory that you do not have the -testnet option set anywhere in their startup commands. Make sure that you are using the normal Bitcoin Core shortcut, not the testnet shortcut. The normal shortcut has an orange icon, the testnet one is green.

hybridathletics

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 10:13:20 PM

I've had essentially the exact same problem, including that I installed Armory and bitcoin core on an external hard drive. It sounds like you all figured it out, and I was hoping for a little help. I installed Bitcoin Core, let it download all the blockchain data, etc. Armory still runs in offline mode though. Any ideas? I'm checking to make sure it's not using the testnet now though.

Thank you!
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 01:53:07 AM

I've had essentially the exact same problem, including that I installed Armory and bitcoin core on an external hard drive. It sounds like you all figured it out, and I was hoping for a little help. I installed Bitcoin Core, let it download all the blockchain data, etc. Armory still runs in offline mode though. Any ideas? I'm checking to make sure it's not using the testnet now though.

Thank you!
You should make a new thread instead of hijacking this one. In that new thread, you should also post the armory log files, armorylog.txt and dbLog.txt. Lastly you need to make sure that Armory is looking for the blockchain in the right folder.

horns273 (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 10:48:30 PM

The testnet is for development and testing only and coins there have absolutely no value whatsoever.

You want to use the mainnet. Make sure that when you run Bitcoin Core and Armory that you do not have the -testnet option set anywhere in their startup commands. Make sure that you are using the normal Bitcoin Core shortcut, not the testnet shortcut. The normal shortcut has an orange icon, the testnet one is green.

Sorry to go on radio silence but I'm trying to readdress this problem now.

I found the transacation on Bitcoin Block Explorer so the amount should be in my Armory wallet. But I just haven't been able to connect Armory. I deleted Bitcoin Core previously and I am running the full node now.

Is it worthwhile to uninstall Armory and then reinstall? As long as I record my wallet address, ID, and passphrase from the current Armory wallet, can I upload that wallet again to Armory? 

Is there an easier way to recover the amount? Maybe login to another program? Can I screen share with you? I'm not sure how I got caught up with the testnet details, but this is going over my head technically. Thanks in advance
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: