Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:34:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin’s a dollar bill, with a teleporter built in.  (Read 1205 times)
MonkeyBear68 (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:29:46 PM

I was reading an article on Wired and I especially liked the author's description of Bitcoin:

"Bitcoin’s a dollar bill, with a teleporter built in."

The quote above is from about 1/4 of the way into the article. The article is:

http://www.wired.com/opinion/2013/05/lets-cut-through-the-bitcoin-hype/

I wish I had thought of that quote as it seems like a perfect description of Bitcoin, and a neat way to summarize what it accomplishes in one sentence. The article was somewhat interesting too.  Smiley
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Tacticat

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 08:50:06 AM

Better yet, it's a piece of gold. As opposed to a dollar bill, Bitcoin cannot be arbitrarily created.

I always imagine some futuristic type of precious metal that can be teleported anywhere in the world.

Tips and donations:

15nqQGfkgoxrBnsshD6vCuMWuz71MK51Ug
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:39:47 AM

Better yet, it's a piece of gold. As opposed to a dollar bill, Bitcoin cannot be arbitrarily created.

I always imagine some futuristic type of precious metal that can be teleported anywhere in the world.
I think it like a Teleportable Beer.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:44:35 AM

It is called unobtanium.

I think it like a Teleportable Beer.

I think somebody made a custom currency in Ripple like that? The BER (beer), which is similar to the FAV (favor).

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 12:53:34 PM

I've been saying this for a while.

BTC = Beam up The Coin

Beamcoin?

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to put to the community for general discussion: One of the biggest hindrances to Bitcoin adoption is that it has so many amazing features that are so unbelievable that it is almost impossible for anyone to process and believe all of those features at once because it sets off their bullshit detectors. Or it just sails by them with a *whoosh* because it's so outside their everyday experience. The more succinctly you try to present Bitcoin's value proposition, the less it really registers with people.

This is even true to an extent among people who are already sold on Bitcoin, including many in this community.

We need to capture people's imaginations and engage their emotions in order for them to fully internalize what Bitcoin has to offer, and sci-fi references provide a powerful way to do that.

The proof is right there: the fact that bitcoins have all the essential characteristics of beamable gold coins is all by itself enough to propel Bitcoin into the mainstream, yet that is only one of its many amazing features. If it only had one killer feature it would be easier to sell, but it has many so it's actually too unbelievable for most people.

How about making sci-fi/fantasy explanations for all Bitcoin's great features?
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:00:46 PM

Bitcoin addresses are also like mokeskin pouches for gold coins: "A mokeskin pouch is a kind of small bag that is used for storing items, which no one but the owner can get out." (Harry Potter)

...except that these pouches can be stored in your brain!

And while a mokeskin pouch looks small and unassuming but may carry very large objects, a Bitcoin address can carry huge amounts of wealth and are not merely small and unassuming but completely invisible! (Yes, the fact that it's stored in your brain entails this already, but see the previous post. People need all the implications driven home for them, or else *whoosh*.)
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 08, 2013, 01:29:23 PM

This reminds me of something I've been meaning to put to the community for general discussion: One of the biggest hindrances to Bitcoin adoption is that it has so many amazing features that are so unbelievable that it is almost impossible for anyone to process and believe all of those features at once because it sets off their bullshit detectors. Or it just sails by them with a *whoosh* because it's so outside their everyday experience. The more succinctly you try to present Bitcoin's value proposition, the less it really registers with people.

We need to capture people's imaginations and engage their emotions in order for them to fully internalize what Bitcoin has to offer, and sci-fi references provide a powerful way to do that.

The proof is right there: the fact that bitcoins have all the essential characteristics of beamable gold coins is all by itself enough to propel Bitcoin into the mainstream, yet that is only one of its many amazing features. If it only had one killer feature it would be easier to sell, but it has many so it's actually too unbelievable for most people.

How about making sci-fi/fantasy explanations for all Bitcoin's great features?

There are so many features to bitcoins, as you so aptly point out, and so many reasons to use bitcoins, that there is no way that all these things will apply to everybody. So instead of pitching bitcoins on all the amazing features and the philosophical reasons you like it, you should cut down your explanation to just what is applicable to the person you are talking to.

For example, some people get excited about bitcoins because they want to get government out of the money printing business; other people really don't care if the government controls the money but they are interested in bitcoins because it allows them to send money to family on the other side of the world for very low fees. So to help people understand bitcoins, first you need to know what they want to do with money, and then you can show them how doing that is better with bitcoins.

Bitcoin addresses are also like mokeskin pouches for gold coins: "A mokeskin pouch is a kind of small bag that is used for storing items, which no one but the owner can get out." (Harry Potter)

...except that these pouches can be stored in your brain!

And while a mokeskin pouch looks small and unassuming but may carry very large objects, a Bitcoin address can carry huge amounts of wealth and are not merely small and unassuming but completely invisible! (Yes, the fact that it's stored in your brain entails this already, but see the previous post. People need all the implications driven home for them, or else *whoosh*.)

Nice analogy for the HP fans!

ihsotas

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 08:25:49 PM

+1. Most people don't think about the amazing new features they'll get when it comes to saving/storing/spending their money. They're trying to minimize the downside.
fisheater

Activity: 770
Merit: 605

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

I am not sure, if it affects seriously the ability of fed reserve, the US government may ban it
Peter Lambert

View Profile
May 09, 2013, 09:14:43 PM

I am not sure, if it affects seriously the ability of fed reserve, the US government may ban it

just like they ban all those drugs, except bitcoins have a built in teleporter so they are even harder to stop!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: