Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:37:15 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost BTC in transaction using Jaxx  (Read 4107 times)
growHive (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 04:30:32 PM

Bitcoin Client Software and Version Number: Jaxx 1.2
Operating System: Windows 10 64

I was wondering if anyone could help me:

I sent a transaction from my Jaxx (1.2 chrome extension wallet) for a small amount (5 Millibit) to another wallet. In this transaction, all of my funds were wiped out with the remaining going to a new address I've never interacted with. This new, unknown address is not any of my private or public keys. I've contacted Jaxx, and it's been 5 business days and they have no solutions. They said at least the funds at the new address have not been spent. I'm a bit frustrated. Can anyone help?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You can see the statistics of your reports to moderators on the "Report to moderator" pages.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
March 24, 2017, 04:47:46 PM

There are 3 likely possibilities here.  In no particular order:

• The bitcoins were sent to a change address that you do have access to, but you just don't realize it due to unfamiliarity with how the Jaxx wallet works.
  • You have malware on your computer that stole the bitcoins when you created the transaction
  • Jaxx has a bug that failed to store the private key of the address that it used for the change from the transaction

If it's the first one, then perhaps another Jaxx user can help.

If it's either of the other two, then the bitcoins are probably lost permanently
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
March 25, 2017, 05:10:50 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2017, 08:18:50 PM by HI-TEC99

There are similar complaints in this thread. This one reply says jaxx switches address automatically at certain time intervals, and often has problems syncing, so balances don't get displayed correctly. If that's true there's a chance your coins might still be accessible.

https://forum.z.cash/t/restore-t-adress-jaxx-wallet-warning/8225/34

Don´t worry about the changed address. The address changes automatically at certain time intervals. Nevertheless, any previous address is still valid and can still be used.
I have just looked in my wallet: I am also missing some coins. But that´s not because the change of your adress. Jaxx currently must have a problem when retrieving the blockchain, so not all coins will be displayed. You can simply enter your t-address at Zchain11 and then you can see that all your coins are still there. Hopefully, Jaxx fixes the problem quickly!

Try importing your jaxx wallet's seed into mycelium's android wallet and see if your coins show up in it. According to this post the two wallets can use each others seed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinBeginners/comments/5xt8m6/my_12_word_seed_from_jaxx_isnt_showing_my_balance/

Jaxx follows BIP 32/39/44, so Copay (mobile and desktop) and Mycelium (Android, probably iOS) can restore the Bitcoin wallet from Jaxx.
growHive (OP)

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 07:53:01 PM

Try importing your jaxx wallet's seed into mycelium's android wallet and see if your coins show up in it. According to this post the two wallets can use each others seed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinBeginners/comments/5xt8m6/my_12_word_seed_from_jaxx_isnt_showing_my_balance/

Jaxx follows BIP 32/39/44, so Copay (mobile and desktop) and Mycelium (Android, probably iOS) can restore the Bitcoin wallet from Jaxx.

^^ This worked! Thank you so much!
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4613

View Profile
March 27, 2017, 08:07:09 PM

Try importing your jaxx wallet's seed into mycelium's android wallet and see if your coins show up in it.

If that worked, then Jaxx is poorly written and poorly supported. I would recommend that everyone stay away from Jaxx until they fix their problems.  If Mycelium can access the coins, then Jaxx should aso be able to if it was written properly or had better support.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 09, 2017, 07:53:00 PM

Try importing your jaxx wallet's seed into mycelium's android wallet and see if your coins show up in it.

If that worked, then Jaxx is poorly written and poorly supported. I would recommend that everyone stay away from Jaxx until they fix their problems.  If Mycelium can access the coins, then Jaxx should aso be able to if it was written properly or had better support.

Jaxx is a great idea, they support about 8 different coins in their wallet but still young.  They should focus on bug fixing.

Its always a good idea to know how the code works in an HD wallet so you can generate your own addresses if they stop supporting it. 

growHive (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:35:50 PM

I have since changed to coinbase and haven't had a problem since. In fact, it's cheaper and easier to load my wallet, I don't need to find a buyer or btm. And my transactions don't get lost...
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2017, 01:38:17 PM

I have since changed to coinbase and haven't had a problem since. In fact, it's cheaper and easier to load my wallet, I don't need to find a buyer or btm. And my transactions don't get lost...

if you dont control your private keys then you have no bitcoins.

ngin-x

Activity: 308
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 02, 2017, 04:24:55 AM

Guys, I want to confirm what OP has stated here. I was trying to send a small amount of bitcoin to another address today but Jaxx sent the full balance of the wallet to that address.

The same thing happened last week as well when my wallet balance was very small, so I ignored it. But this time, I would have lost a lot of money but was saved because the other wallet address also belongs to me.

I am using the latest v1.2 of the Jaxx wallet. This is a huge bug which has permanently shaken my confidence in Jaxx.

DO NOT USE JAXX WALLET going forward for storing bitcoins!!!

I am not sure if the bug is present for the ethereum wallet as well but until someone confirms, please do not take your chances in sending any amount to a third party address.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

View Profile
June 03, 2017, 02:14:28 PM

Guys, I want to confirm what OP has stated here. I was trying to send a small amount of bitcoin to another address today but Jaxx sent the full balance of the wallet to that address.

The same thing happened last week as well when my wallet balance was very small, so I ignored it. But this time, I would have lost a lot of money but was saved because the other wallet address also belongs to me.

I am using the latest v1.2 of the Jaxx wallet. This is a huge bug which has permanently shaken my confidence in Jaxx.

DO NOT USE JAXX WALLET going forward for storing bitcoins!!!

I am not sure if the bug is present for the ethereum wallet as well but until someone confirms, please do not take your chances in sending any amount to a third party address.

holy shit that sucks!

I guess it can still be used only if you use small amounts

forummes

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 03, 2017, 02:50:41 PM

Hmm... you should put higher fee, but sometime when it dissappear, it could be appear again, few month ago, i put a small fee,  and it dissappear, i think it was failed but few days after it, it show again and got confirmed as well. But what?? Since it's my member payments then i send it again when it dissappear, then that time my members was lucky cuz got their payment doubled  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: