Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:07:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can I mix different GPUs on the same rig?  (Read 5768 times)
couture (OP)

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 08:23:36 AM

Almost collected the parts for new GPU rig, but due to the shortage of GPUs right now im unable to live the dream and have a row of 6 glowing nitro+...

I have two sapphire nitro+ rx570 4GB on preorder (apparently due for restock in about 10 days time)
But i have also found a few other cards for sale: MSI RX470 4GB and Sapphire RX480 8GB

If I were to acquire all of these cards, is it okay to run them all on the same rig even though they are slightly different?

Rest of rig set up is:
Asrock H81 Pro BTC
EVGA GS 650W (will get a second PSU as more cards are delivered)
Hyper Fury 4GB RAM
ethOS on 32GB thumdrive
Usual Intel CPU
Usual PCIe risers

Thanks  Grin
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 08:32:16 AM

Yes, you can mix cards without a problem as long as the cards are all supported by the drivers you install e.g. on Windows the current Crimson ReLive drivers support all GCN and up cards, so you can mix any of those together on the same rig. On Linux (ethOS and smOS), the current AMDGPU PRO drivers only support GCN 3 and up cards. You will obviously need to set diffrent configurations for the diffrrent cards, so it's simpler to use the same type of cards in a single rig. You can also run AMD and Nvidia cards on the same rig. I currently have RX 480's, HD 7850 and a GTX 1080 on the same rig without a problem.
couture (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 08:38:05 AM

Yes, you can mix cards without a problem as long as the cards are all supported by the drivers you install e.g. on Windows the current Crimson ReLive drivers support all GCN and up cards, so you can mix any of those together on the same rig. On Linux (ethOS and smOS), the current AMDGPU PRO drivers only support GCN 3 and up cards. You will obviously need to set diffrent configurations for the diffrrent cards, so it's simpler to use the same type of cards in a single rig. You can also run AMD and Nvidia cards on the same rig. I currently have RX 480's, HD 7850 and a GTX 1080 on the same rig without a problem.

Thanks Vann, good to hear. So the 'GCN 3 and up' part... are the cards I mentioned above suitable for use on ethOS? GCN 3 isnt something I have read about before..

I was planning on, during initial set up, plugging each GPU into the rig individually to set up with ethOS, then swap out for the next card and so on until all cards have individually been configured, then once they are all done id then plug them all into the rig together?

Thanks
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 08:47:09 AM
Last edit: June 04, 2017, 09:01:10 AM by Vann

Yes, those cards are all supported by ethOS. GCN is the architecture name of the current series of AMD GPU's. GCN 3 referes to generation 3 series cards. The current series are Polaris GCN 4 and Vega will be GCN 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next

If you are going to Bios mod the cards it's a good idea to plug them in indvidually so there is less chance you make a mistake. I find it easier to Bios mod cards in Windows as there are more tools available. There is no need to install the cards individually to install ethOS. All the individual card mining configuration is done in ethOS and the miner configuration.
couture (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 09:12:28 AM

Yes, those cards are all supported by ethOS. GCN is the architecture name of the current series of AMD GPU's. GCN 3 referes to generation 3 series cards. The current series are Polaris GCN 4 and Vega will be GCN 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_Core_Next

If you are going to Bios mod the cards it's a good idea to plug them in indvidually so there is less chance you make a mistake. I find it easier to Bios mod cards in Windows as there are more tools available. There is no need to install the cards individually to install ethOS. All the individual card mining configuration is done in ethOS and the miner configuration.

Thanks Vann, perfect Smiley
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
June 04, 2017, 12:16:28 PM

All of the RX cards to date should coexist quite peacefully together, as they're the same generation of the same basic architecture.

470/480 and 570/580 in particular are the SAME CHIP (minor process change from the 4xx to the 5xx but at the software interface level no real change), except the x70 models has one CU disabled (probably due to a flaw on the die in most cases).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Itsjo

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 25, 2018, 09:24:29 AM

Hi I have an issue with adding an MSI 570 with a few sapphire 580's. I had the sapphires running at 31 mhs each but when I added the MSI they all dropped towards 20. I updated the bios one by one with only one plugged in at a time and got them to 30+ each. When I plugged all 5 in, only the brand the HDMI plugged into would mine. E.g. if I plugged my HDMI into the MSI, only the MSI would mine. But if I plugged the HDMI into one of the sapphires, only the 4 sapphires would mine..
nikmutley

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:54:55 PM

Hi I have an issue with adding an MSI 570 with a few sapphire 580's. I had the sapphires running at 31 mhs each but when I added the MSI they all dropped towards 20. I updated the bios one by one with only one plugged in at a time and got them to 30+ each. When I plugged all 5 in, only the brand the HDMI plugged into would mine. E.g. if I plugged my HDMI into the MSI, only the MSI would mine. But if I plugged the HDMI into one of the sapphires, only the 4 sapphires would mine..

i hope someone can answer your and my question? i myself had a 4 580 nitro+ rig and the same happened, i sold the msi at a slight profit then went and bought an overpriced 580 nitro+.
Tristan1337

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 27, 2018, 08:57:56 PM

i hope someone can answer your and my question? i myself had a 4 580 nitro+ rig and the same happened, i sold the msi at a slight profit then went and bought an overpriced 580 nitro+.

You guys should try running the monitor on the integrated graphics built into the CPU.  Wink
jang430

Activity: 32

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 01:12:56 AM

Hi, I hope someone is still watching this thread.  I've individually modded my cards Sapphire Nitro+, Sapphire Pulse, Gigabyte Gaming, all RX580 8 GB.  Each can achieve at least 30 mhs.  I'm using Asrock H110 BTC Pro+.  My Nitro+ and Pulse can be detected.  When I plug in Gigabyte Gaming, it doesn't get recognized.  It did once, but when I reboot, no matter what slot I connect it to, it no longer gets detected.  I added another Nitro+ and still gets detected.  I also changed the newly added Nitro+ card's slot, just to make sure, it still gets detected as the 3rd.  But no matter what slot I put in Gigabyte Gaming, not detected.  I have isolated the card on it's own, and risers.  It's working independently.
Dominor

Activity: 77

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 01:44:21 AM

Yes, you can as long as your hardware support those cards. I do use different cards on my 8 GPU, and 7 GPU rigs
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 06:54:29 PM

You guys should try running the monitor on the integrated graphics built into the CPU.  Wink

Not supported under LINUX any more unless it's an AMD iGPU and AMD cards.
Nvidia disabled the "no-openGL-files" installation option some time back, so their drivers WON'T coexist with AMD drivers or Intel drivers under Linux any more.

Even using AMD iGPU with AMD cards can be an issue, as it sometimes will interfere with clock speed and fan speed control for the discrete cards.

Under Windows, it's trivial - mixing GPUs is one of the very few things Windows handles BETTER than LINUX, and possibly the ONLY thing it handles a LOT better.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
dmitriy vakulenko

Activity: 12

View Profile
February 25, 2018, 07:00:59 PM

Almost collected the parts for new GPU rig, but due to the shortage of GPUs right now im unable to live the dream and have a row of 6 glowing nitro+...

I have two sapphire nitro+ rx570 4GB on preorder (apparently due for restock in about 10 days time)
But i have also found a few other cards for sale: MSI RX470 4GB and Sapphire RX480 8GB

If I were to acquire all of these cards, is it okay to run them all on the same rig even though they are slightly different?

Rest of rig set up is:
Asrock H81 Pro BTC
EVGA GS 650W (will get a second PSU as more cards are delivered)
Hyper Fury 4GB RAM
ethOS on 32GB thumdrive
Usual Intel CPU
Usual PCIe risers

Thanks  Grin
Of course, you can even use cards from different manufacturers, but you need to use Linux.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: