Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:47:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A blind eye to scams on the forum? Moderators?  (Read 3761 times)
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 06:00:58 PM

I have repeatedly been reporting scammers on the forum... seems nothing happens about them.

For example, user Haydenwaves has over 60 posts, a large percentage of them advertising the scam site Bitprotection.info, and right now, all of them are advertising it because he has an ad in his signature.

But when I click "report to moderator"... seems I'm wasting my time.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitprotection

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:15:21 PM

I have repeatedly been reporting scammers on the forum... seems nothing happens about them.

For example, user Haydenwaves has over 60 posts, a large percentage of them advertising the scam site Bitprotection.info, and right now, all of them are advertising it because he has an ad in his signature.

Please do not make claims for which you have no clue about thank you!

Working on protecting the community!
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:18:45 PM

+1

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Zem

Activity: 70

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:24:15 PM

Regardless if bitprotection is legit or not. There's still plenty of other bull**** that happens on these forums that moderators do absolutely nothing about.
bitprotection

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:26:21 PM

Regardless if bitprotection is legit or not. There's still plenty of other bull**** that happens on these forums that moderators do absolutely nothing about.

Kokjo - I do agree there is a bit of nonsense that does happen on this forum. I try to contribute as much as I can without coming across as spammy! Smiley

hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:37:46 PM

We are open to suggestion. Like what?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
Tasty Champa

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 09:39:57 PM

spam and scam is 2 different words. Cheesy

speaking of which I need to change my sig, I think somebody killed it. LOL xD
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 10:11:36 PM

Go to your profile and disable the display of forum signatures. Only way to keep sane, unless you like adblocking every grotesque banner.

It saddens me, as most of the banners look like early 90's spamvertising. Doesn't really help us at all.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 11:11:44 PM

A wallet backup service claiming to offer "insurance" offered by an anonymous person who can be contacted only by a webmail address is a prima facie scam.  Prior versions of this website, such as the one present when I made the original post in June, claimed that sending him your wallet file actually protects you from theft, and offered to insure the wallet against any kind of theft.  Such a claim is ridiculous and should be an obvious red flag.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 30, 2011, 11:25:31 PM

Careful. If you complain too much, you might become a mod.

Smalleyster

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 11:26:35 PM

A wallet backup service claiming to offer "insurance" offered by an anonymous person who can be contacted only by a webmail address is a prima facie scam.  Prior versions of this website, such as the one present when I made the original post in June, claimed that sending him your wallet file actually protects you from theft, and offered to insure the wallet against any kind of theft.  Such a claim is ridiculous and should be an obvious red flag.

I can't argue with that!

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
NF6X

Activity: 98

View Profile WWW
July 30, 2011, 11:59:18 PM

What is the difference between:

• A service provided by a stranger on the Internet which holds on to my wallet.dat and promises not to do anything naughty with it.
  • A service provided by a stranger on the Internet which sends me a new printed wallet.dat and promises to delete any temporary copies they might have of it.
  • My bank, which asks me to hand them all my money and assures me that it'll always be there when I want it back.

Ok, my bank at least has a local brick and mortar branch for me to burn down if they steal my money, but otherwise I don't see how any one of those items screams "SCAM!" any more than the others. They all rely on trusting strangers with my money.

Personally, I do not presently have any reason to want to hand somebody else my wallet.dat for safekeeping, because I think I can can protect it well enough myself. Still, it seems interesting to me to see a claim that a hold-on-to-your-wallet service must be a scam, coming from somebody who asks me to give them money in order to obtain a wallet.dat that they had access to. I think I'll pass on both services.
Smalleyster

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 12:37:25 AM

• A service provided by a stranger on the Internet which holds on to my wallet.dat and promises not to do anything naughty with it.
  • A service provided by a stranger on the Internet which sends me a new printed wallet.dat and promises to delete any temporary copies they might have of it.
  • My bank, which asks me to hand them all my money and assures me that it'll always be there when I want it back.

Ok, my bank at least has a local brick and mortar branch for me to burn down if they steal my money, but otherwise I don't see how any one of those items screams "SCAM!" any more than the others. They all rely on trusting strangers with my money.

Look up FDIC.

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
NF6X

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 01:03:45 AM

Look up FDIC.

Good point. So, I'll revise my question: How is "I'll hold your wallet.dat for security, and I promise not to spend your money" any more obviously a scam than "I'll give you a new wallet.dat for security, and I promise not to keep a copy"?

P.S.: Speaking of moderation, shouldn't this thread be in Meta?  Wink
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:42:33 AM

Look up FDIC.

Good point. So, I'll revise my question: How is "I'll hold your wallet.dat for security, and I promise not to spend your money" any more obviously a scam than "I'll give you a new wallet.dat for security, and I promise not to keep a copy"?

P.S.: Speaking of moderation, shouldn't this thread be in Meta?  Wink

There's not a huge difference.  I could theoretically scam my customers.  But in my case, I have identified myself IRL, and people buy paper wallets to meet a real need, and I can get my ass kicked if I scam. Sending your wallet to anonymous doesn't serve any useful purpose, you may as well stick it in a drawer, and his claim that sending him your wallet protects you from theft (which has since vanished from his site) ought to raise a brow. If he steals your coin, no ass to kick, your maximum recourse is to send him angry email.

NF6X

View Profile WWW
July 31, 2011, 02:56:48 AM

There's not a huge difference.  I could theoretically scam my customers.  But in my case, I have identified myself IRL, and people buy paper wallets to meet a real need, and I can get my ass kicked if I scam. Sending your wallet to anonymous doesn't serve any useful purpose, you may as well stick it in a drawer, and his claim that sending him your wallet protects you from theft (which has since vanished from his site) ought to raise a brow. If he steals your coin, no ass to kick, your maximum recourse is to send him angry email.

Good point. Handing control of your money to somebody else requires trust, and trust is fundamentally given with the understanding that an ass-kicking (whether literal or figurative) may result if it's violated.

bitprotection

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:24:23 AM

You can contact me anyway you want what are you talking about ? How can you claim something is a scam with no evidence?   Where does it say it prevents theft ?  Never claimed it so don't claim something that isn't true ...I'll be waiting for you produce evidence this is a scam otherwise your creditably is 0 on this matter ...

bitprotection

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:27:31 AM

Good point. Handing control of your money to somebody else requires trust, and trust is fundamentally given with the understanding that an ass-kicking (whether literal or figurative) may result if it's violated.

Agreed. There is no doubt there will have to be trust at some point. Figured the best way was to say if anything happens we can back it up or as you say an ass-kicking!

bitprotection

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:28:44 AM
Last edit: July 31, 2011, 04:50:20 AM by bitprotection

Btw: your service is a scam also ..going to let people know its a scam ... how can you trust postal mail  and how do we know its going to you?  

This is factually untrue "100% immune to hackers, trojans, computer crashing,"    such claims are ridiculous and should be obvious red flags for  anyone thinks about a service like this.

bitprotection

View Profile
July 31, 2011, 03:35:24 AM

Personally, I do not presently have any reason to want to hand somebody else my wallet.dat for safekeeping, because I think I can can protect it well enough myself. Still, it seems interesting to me to see a claim that a hold-on-to-your-wallet service must be a scam, coming from somebody who asks me to give them money in order to obtain a wallet.dat that they had access to. I think I'll pass on both services.

Thanks for being fair-minded and this service isn't for everyone but could be beneficial to people who are just starting out in bitcoins and don't know how to do all the necessary steps to protect their wallets. Obviously, if we are a "scam" then there should be plenty of people who can come forward to say we are - do you see any ?   People are to trigger happy to start calling people a scam!  Embarrassed

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: