Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 04:14:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I invest in GPU mining?  (Read 6577 times)
BeyondDeception

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:25:41 PM

I think the biggest thing is - only spend what you can afford to lose, because anything can happen. I would NOT put anything on credit cards. If you have the money to spend and you are NOT dependent on this money, then go for it. Whatever you spend, I would try to at least recoup your investment within a few months, but if you don't (which you should) then it doesn't matter. Then take any money you make after ROI and energy and put it towards more machines, because it is more money you can afford to lose. Don't depend on the money - make sure you can live without it. Then once you have a nice amount of money coming in - I would invest in anything you can invest in. Don't try to live off this money, meaning don't create a monthly budget that includes the money you are making off the machines. That way if it goes belly up, then you are good. If you are able to invest enough money - then maybe you set yourself up for the future. Think long term, not short term.

The reason I say all that is because you don't want to put a bunch money on credit cards or spend a bunch of money in savings and then have a catastrophic event either in the crypto-world or in your world.

There's a lot upside, but IMO it's on a knifes edge. Right now it is good, tomorrow it may not be. So every step you make, consider all the risks and ensure you minimize those risks. Hedge your bets.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
fistfullofbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 05:41:05 PM

sound advice, one thing as well don't feel guilty to cash profits out when needs be, yes in 10 years you might kick yourself, but we live day to day in the real world.
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 06:27:59 PM

1 gtx 1070 arrived
AsRock h81 pro btc
4 GB RAM

Is there a way I could somehow start mining with that gtx, since there's a long time till the hx1200i arrives

Looking for a signature campaign.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 06:31:26 PM

1 gtx 1070 arrived
AsRock h81 pro btc
4 GB RAM

Is there a way I could somehow start mining with that gtx, since there's a long time till the hx1200i arrives

if you have a cpu, mobo, power supply, keyboard, monitor, internet connection then yes you can mine with 1 gpu.
GabryRox

Activity: 600
Merit: 261

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 08:55:47 PM

man, double retail and beyond for all old 470/480s now... really wish I would have had the foresight to go clean out all my local stores a couple months ago and turn a nice little 100% profit will very little effort!
Raziel87

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 01:37:11 PM

If you start with the idea of mining now and pay high prices for "old" gpu's with high hashrates is a big risk.
When Ethereum grenades to POS and is less profitable. Guess where the ethereum gold diggers are going? to the other coins.
Diff will rise exponentially with less return. Good luck on selling your old gpu's with very little resale value.
be cautious  Wink
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 06:29:46 PM

If you start with the idea of mining now and pay high prices for "old" gpu's with high hashrates is a big risk.
When Ethereum grenades to POS and is less profitable. Guess where the ethereum gold diggers are going? to the other coins.
Diff will rise exponentially with less return. Good luck on selling your old gpu's with very little resale value.
be cautious  Wink

If you are looking to make money long term with a GPU, that means near constant research and coin switching.  You can use a profit switching pool, but make sure that the only pool fees are the normal fees and not higher to switch coins. 
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 15, 2017, 10:30:43 PM

be cautious  Wink

If you are looking to make money long term with a GPU, that means near constant research and coin switching.  You can use a profit switching pool, but make sure that the only pool fees are the normal fees and not higher to switch coins. 

i do this, but you will never make millions, it is steady stream of money, but miners go down etc. i think if i had the cash would buy strong coins.
posternat

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 02:49:37 PM

be cautious  Wink

i do this, but you will never make millions, it is steady stream of money, but miners go down etc. i think if i had the cash would buy strong coins.

Really, GPU mining is more of a hobby at this time and more and more so as time goes on.  Hobbies cost you money in the long run, maybe only a little, but they do not generate income.  If you have another use for the GPU, like just generally having a faster computer to play with and use, then the investment has two benefits.
iluvbitcoins (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150

Freedom&Honor

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 03:31:39 PM

I'm not going to need and extra cables for the setup?

I have ordered 9 risers and a sata 3.0 for the SSD

Also, so far I have received 2 rx470s and one gtx1070, intel celeron and asrock h81 probtc

The hx1200i from amazon.co.uk set the dispatch date at 28th June so it's going to take a while before I start mining..

The 2 rx470s I ordered from ebay have not yet been marked shipped and the arrival date was supposed to be yesterday
No response from the Italian seller at all!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to request a refund and find 2 GPUs somewhere else Sad

Looking for a signature campaign.
jennywhzz

Activity: 415
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 04:59:27 PM

be cautious  Wink

If you are talking about using a separate PC and the GPU card investment is just for mining, be prepared to make it a second job to really make anything at all.
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 23, 2017, 10:08:00 PM

ive mined/ing for 3 months with 4-6 gpus, i have changed the rig design 4 times, changed fans, stopped a potential fire when i overloaded the psu on 1 line. this is one rig, people think it is easy it isn't, because shit happens and you need to solve it quickly. i make a bit of money but nothing to even give a job up for and mine cost 3k usd. it is a lot of hassle foe not a lot returns.
kjs

Activity: 188
Merit: 105

View Profile
June 24, 2017, 06:46:53 AM

Not at this stage unless you have an advantage versus the competition.

Just buy your choice of coin(s) directly at this stage, lock them away securely, then check back in a years time Smiley
fistfullofbtc

View Profile
June 27, 2017, 05:42:37 PM

profitability has halved pretty much this week which is shit.
stefek99

Activity: 233
Merit: 102

https://genesis.re

View Profile WWW
July 26, 2017, 05:42:06 AM

I've invested £2k into a ready-build 6xGPU mining rig.

Hoping for the positive outcome.

I hope it will pay for itself in the 1 year or so...

(back in the day the calculators shown 2 months ROI)

dadesu

Activity: 378
Merit: 258

View Profile
July 26, 2017, 06:40:34 AM

If you are living in country with relatively cheap electricity there is no reason you will not invest in gpu mining.
Gpu mining have potential to last for very long time period. And if you dont have cheap electricity then
go to buy some coins with good potential, like ethereum, netko, ripple...

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███