Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 12:05:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. Will Need to Create 'Unprecedented' 35 Million New Jobs if Immigration Bill  (Read 4367 times)
strunberg (OP)

Activity: 1302
Merit: 324

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:13:49 PM

Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama), a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, held a conference call today on the immigration bill proposed by the "Gang of 8" and said it will bring 30 million immigrants to the United States over the course of 10 years and would devastate the American workforce.

An immigration analyst on the call added that the U.S. will need "The greatest jobs bonanza in American history" to accommodate new job seekers.

"We are looking at a plan that will admit or provide legal status to 30 million immigrants in the next 10 years. This is a number that exceeds the population of the state of California--our largest state-- and it's a very, very significant impact on our economy and the American people. So we'll have to be looking out how this can work, the kind of economic impact it will have, and particularly, what kind of impact it will have on jobs and salaries," Sessions stated.

If you include the various categories of nonimmigrant work visas, the number climbs to more than 57 million, says a statement from Sessions' office released after the event:

"In sum, over the first decade, the total number granted will be well over 32 million (not taking into account chain migration from increased legal flow). Adding in all the various categories of nonimmigrant work visas, and the number climbs to more than 57 million. Further, because approximately 7 million illegal immigrants are on a 13-year track to citizenship, there will be a second wave of chain migration initiated just outside the 10-year window (substantially increasing the net low-skill immigration)," states the release.

During the conference call, Sen. Sessions said the future flow of immigration could go up as much as 50 percent:

http://cnsnews.com/blog/joe-schoffstall/us-will-need-create-unprecedented-35-million-new-jobs-if-immigration-bill

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
CONFIRMED

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
drhobomanxxiii

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:28:24 PM

That's pretty much all politics and no economics.

The division of labor, coupled with the massive increase in productivity (both demanded and supplied) will create all the jobs needed.

If you want to see the fallacy a little more clearly, replace "immigrants" with "babies born" and take a look at history to see how economies always adapt to changes in population. On top of that, take a look at where the jobs are needed and how it actually helps to free up workers to be put into more productive, more specialized fields.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 02:48:42 AM

That's pretty much all politics and no economics.

The division of labor, coupled with the massive increase in productivity (both demanded and supplied) will create all the jobs needed....
Sure, just like it has in Mexico...
drhobomanxxiii

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 09:21:10 AM

Mexico, the place with drug violence gone rampant and a state that doesn't allow proper economic action to take place?

You have to look at many factors that are involved in the issue before making a straight comparison.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 10:57:21 AM

Granted, in a steady state of technology and a well populated territory, LOW SKILL population leads to lower standards of living and depleted resources.

This is why sensible countries have an education requirement for immigration, i.e. post secondary and with focus on understaffed sectors.

We do not want to be another England.  

The 'babies born' argument neglects to take in to account the spectrum of socio-economic backgrounds of the parents.  Which does play a part in the economics.  

30 million LOW SKILLED immigrants is a very small economic impact.  Don't believe me?  Visit an immigrant ghetto.  Liquor stores, pawn shops, off-brand grocery stores, and ethnic food markets.  No Best Buy, Starbucks, etc.

While we are at it - why don't we raise the cost of education and lower the wages.  Makes total sense.  

A slew of poor parents and their poor children really doesn't promise progress.  Just a problem transferred between countries.

And, while I'm at it, I do believe in population control.  More people does not always a better society make.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 12:59:32 PM

Mexico, the place with drug violence gone rampant and a state that doesn't allow proper economic action to take place?

You have to look at many factors that are involved in the issue before making a straight comparison.
Yes, we can simple add drug violence gone rampant and no proper economic action to the US!

Fixed!!!!

Grin
drhobomanxxiii

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:00:08 AM

Granted, in a steady state of technology and a well populated territory, LOW SKILL population leads to lower standards of living and depleted resources.

If you look at the aggregates, sure... But that's also ignoring the fact that the addition of the low skill population makes both the high skill workers better off, but the low skill workers will be better off than they were from where they came from (if it's truly because of economic opportunity, which it is in this case.)

Your entire post was predicated on the premise that aggregate measures of a single country accurately reflect the real income mobility of the members of the population, so it's not just the quote that I took from you here. The premise is faulty, and your argument just doesn't stand.
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 03:59:37 AM

A slew of poor parents and their poor children really doesn't promise progress.  Just a problem transferred between countries.

It's actually a problem that's multiplied between countries, because low-skilled immigrants have more children in their new countries than they would otherwise, and those in their home countries have more children to replace them.

addition of the low skill population makes... high skill workers better off

Only in the short term.  And it makes indigenous low skill workers worse off.

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
Impaler

Activity: 826

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 04:09:12 AM

Mexican birthrates have largely dropped to replacement levels, and new American immigrants adjust to American birthrates in 1 generation.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 06:09:24 AM

I have an unpleasant truth to tell you:

Those jobs? They already exist. And they're already filled. By Mexicans.

All this bill would do is make legal what is already happening.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 12:57:06 PM

Exactly!  And they are the jobs that arrogant Americans are "too good" to fill.  My suggestion OP, stop listening to Republicans about anything.  They are ALWAYS wrong.  Just more rhetoric to mask their obvious and continued bigotry.  Nothing to see here.

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 02:44:42 PM

Exactly!  And they are the jobs that arrogant Americans are "too good" to fill.  My suggestion OP, stop listening to Republicans about anything.  They are ALWAYS wrong.  Just more rhetoric to mask their obvious and continued bigotry.  Nothing to see here.
Probably wise to stop listening to Democrats, while you're at it. While neither is always wrong, they're both wrong about 1/2 the time.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:47:33 PM

Or we could just let them continue doing the jobs they already do?

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
joulesbeef

Activity: 476

moOo

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 02:50:52 PM

and those people with jobs will need somewhere to eat.

republicans have become such a fucking shit party.

and the libertarians cant win an election.

wtf is a guy to do.

mooo for rent
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 06, 2013, 03:16:01 PM

and those people with jobs will need somewhere to eat.

republicans have become such a fucking shit party.

and the libertarians cant win an election.

wtf is a guy to do.

http://agorism.info/

Just sayin' Wink

Coinseeker

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 06, 2013, 11:35:21 PM

Exactly!  And they are the jobs that arrogant Americans are "too good" to fill.  My suggestion OP, stop listening to Republicans about anything.  They are ALWAYS wrong.  Just more rhetoric to mask their obvious and continued bigotry.  Nothing to see here.
Probably wise to stop listening to Democrats, while you're at it. While neither is always wrong, they're both wrong about 1/2 the time.

No, the split is not even close to 50/50.  Anyone paying attention to the first 4 years of the Obama admin can clearly see the debates on austerity vs investment.  Repubs were wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME.  If we had listened to them, we'd be double or triple dip recession by now. Hmm...how's Greece doing?  Shocked Instead, we have growth plus a record breaking stock market.  Wall Street should be throwing rose peddles at Obama's feet because they are booming.  

Anyway, I don't want to get anymore political than we already have but I obviously agree to disagree with you.   Wink 

If your ignore button isn't glowing, you're doing it wrong.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 01:22:21 AM

Exactly!  And they are the jobs that arrogant Americans are "too good" to fill.  My suggestion OP, stop listening to Republicans about anything.  They are ALWAYS wrong.  Just more rhetoric to mask their obvious and continued bigotry.  Nothing to see here.

No, the split is not even close to 50/50.  Anyone paying attention to the first 4 years of the Obama admin can clearly see the debates on austerity vs investment.  Repubs were wrong EVERY SINGLE TIME.  If we had listened to them, we'd be double or triple dip recession by now. Hmm...how's Greece doing?  Shocked Instead, we have growth plus a record breaking stock market.  Wall Street should be throwing rose peddles at Obama's feet because they are booming.  

Anyway, I don't want to get anymore political than we already have but I obviously agree to disagree with you.   Wink 
Good, you've picked an issue which the democrats got right. Would you like me to list the ones they get wrong? Smiley

Picking a "party line," and sticking to it, is probably the worst thing you can possibly do, intellectually. It's shutting off your brain and letting someone else do your thinking for you.

Nobody is going to make your decisions better than you. Listen to you, not the guy in the red tie, nor the guy in the blue tie. Neither one has your best interests at heart.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:23:20 AM

Good, you've picked an issue which the democrats got right. Would you like me to list the ones they get wrong? Smiley

Picking a "party line," and sticking to it, is probably the worst thing you can possibly do, intellectually. It's shutting off your brain and letting someone else do your thinking for you.

Nobody is going to make your decisions better than you. Listen to you, not the guy in the red tie, nor the guy in the blue tie. Neither one has your best interests at heart.
Fascinating!  Yes, printing the money will keep the booze flowing and the band playing for a bit longer!  Print!  Print!  Print, I say!  And stick with the party line!  A bit of a chore, yes, but by ignoring problems, it can be done!  And then back to the party!  Print!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
May 07, 2013, 02:36:17 AM

Fascinating!  Yes, printing the money will keep the booze flowing and the band playing for a bit longer!  Print!  Print!  Print, I say!  And stick with the party line!  A bit of a chore, yes, but by ignoring problems, it can be done!  And then back to the party!  Print!
Well, given the choice of kicking the can down the road again or strangling the economy... I'll take kicking the can down the road. Neither plan was good, but I think it's pretty clear that austerity would have been "less good."

There's no easy way out of this hole that the two sides, working together, have dug us into. The only thing we can really hope to achieve is lessening the impact by creating a new economy within the shell of the old... and the longer they kick the can, the longer we have to get that done.

Spendulus
Legendary

View Profile
May 07, 2013, 02:45:14 AM

Well, given the choice of kicking the can down the road again or strangling the economy... I'll take kicking the can down the road. Neither plan was good, but I think it's pretty clear that austerity would have been "less good."

There's no easy way out of this hole that the two sides, working together, have dug us into. The only thing we can really hope to achieve is lessening the impact by creating a new economy within the shell of the old... and the longer they kick the can, the longer we have to get that done.

Ha, yes I do understand the spin made to rationalize the printing.  And since austerity would mean the party stopped, CLEARLY IT "LESS GOOD".

Because, hey...

You know that partying, that's good.

Lots of countries, my friend, have gone down this path, and the results of their decisions are out in the open to study.  The general theme is the "hollowing out of the middle class", which may be roughly understood is they steal everything you got, then toss you out on the road.

But hey.

For now, how about those drinks?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: