Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What is Bitcoin?
A currency
A commodity
None of the above

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin a Currency or Commodity?  (Read 2681 times)
gollum

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

In Hashrate We Trust!

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 05:25:37 PM

Bitcoin is a fiat currency. In Hashrate We Trust.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EndTheFed321

Activity: 577
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 05:28:29 PM

A currency

Earn Free BTC by using your browser check it  out
https://get.cryptobrowser.site/11117080
tjb0607

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
May 04, 2013, 09:39:28 PM

Bitcoin is Bitcoin. It has properties of a commodity, currency and a payment processor.

+1. It's often compared to gold, fiat currencies like the USD, and PayPal. Classifying it as only one of those is improper.
matt608

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 09:43:47 PM

It cold be both or it could be neither.
BitcoinUK

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:07:22 PM

I think many people want it to be a commodity purely because commodities can offer cheaper tax in some countries so they want everyone to agree that it is a commodity. but there is no physical or realistic reason why it is anything like a commodity. Its qualities are that of an asset (store of value owned in whole by the holder), its uses are that of a currency (anything used as a means of exchange).

It is not a share(% of a business), it is not money(Fiat), it is not a commodity(raw material). I see some have understood what a commodity is aldur1, franky1, EndtheFed, BTCLuke. But there is still a few people that for unknown reasons refuse to believe that bitcoin is not a commodity.

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:26:54 PM

In economics, a commodity is a marketable item produced to satisfy wants or needs. Economic commodities comprise goods and services.

A currency (from Middle English curraunt, meaning in circulation) in the most specific use of the word refers to money in any form when in actual use or circulation, as a medium of exchange, especially circulating paper money.

Unless Bitcoin's service of "being a currency" counts toward being a commodity, I think it's safe to say that it is, indeed, a currency.  I don't think "wearing out computers" counts as a service people want.

Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:29:15 PM

I lol'd.

Bitcoin doesn't give a flying monkey's shyte what you (or me, or anyone) define it as. It will still BE (operating as it does, and will) regardless of what we define it as.

Perhaps people should stop trying to stick a label/definition on it? And maybe let it label itself as it defines itself, and then people will understand what it IS.

If what I say is a bit.. meh.. then run this experiment.

For yourself:

Define money. Define commodity.
Now try your hardest to use bitcoin (or imaginary bitcoin) in both definitions.

And I bet that others would easily add more definitions. Perhaps to some its considered primarily a mathmatical delight and not seen as either, or from a programmer a new source code to build and extrapolate from.

Though saying all this, my own personal opinion is both and more.

And I re-iterate, rather than trying to stick a label on it, let it define its own label.
yogi
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1042

Hamster ate my bitcoin

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 10:37:51 PM

It's either a Commency or a Currodity, take your pick.

BitcoinUK

Activity: 58

View Profile
May 04, 2013, 11:00:50 PM

And I re-iterate, rather than trying to stick a label on it, let it define its own label.

and i lol too

Bitcoin is not a sentient being with its own decision powers to name itself. Bitcoin is a tool used by people, so its the people using bitcoin that get to define it, I think that is what this thread is doing. So us, the community of bitcoin are defining it and by so many people making at least 6 threads on the same topic of defining it, then I think us, the bitcoin community do give a flying monkey's shyte. But at least a few smart people truly understand the difference of a commodity, money, currency, asset to distinguish what bitcoin is. both in form and function.

form = asset
function = currency
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
May 05, 2013, 03:33:47 AM

I try to avoid quoting myself but

I've been sitting on this for a while because I haven't wanted to get caught up in any of the currency versus commodity debates going on but I can hold my metaphorical tongue no longer.

Bitcoin shares many of the traits displayed by money, currencies, commodities, stock, credits, and other exchangeable items that economic infrastructures are built around, however, it transcends them.

The synergy Satoshi created by utilizing a hash based proof-of-work system verified by a peer-to-peer network is not adequately described by any of the previous terms in their current incarnations. Consequently, new rules, laws, business etiquette, security measures, etc. will all have to be built from the ground up, free from the old, cumbersome restrictions and antiquated mentalities lingering in this brave, new world.

This manifestation of an intangible, archtypal ideal is giving us glimpses through doors that even the least cynical of us have always believed to be locked. Even if Bitcoin does die, it has opened my eyes to wondrous possibilities that will live at least as long as I do.

And that, my friends, is how Bitcoin won my admiration and continues to enthrall me to this day.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=49460

Still around.
BTC Books

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 03:39:49 AM

To everyone who understands the historical basis for my question:  it is also the answer, as you know.

Is light a particle or a wave?

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
lixiaolai
a friend of time
VIP

Activity: 169
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 05, 2013, 04:27:53 AM

I'm always amazed by people who cannot accept the fact that all currencies are commodities, while people are buying and selling currencies all the time.

inblockchain.com
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: