Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:12:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Internet connection cutting during mining. - ETH mining.  (Read 1152 times)
zzert1234 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:50:05 PM

Hi Guys,

About Ether mining, I never ever mined before .. but looking to set-up some mining rig at home.

I am not sure yet which mining client I want to use.

The issue is my Internet Connection goes dead maybe 2 times a day for about 3 to 15 minutes. Sometimes the outage could be longer.

How much of a problem is this going to be for the mining process ? I.e is it pretty much the simple case that the mining process will resume from where it was when the connection went dead, or is it the case that mining process will be interrupted in such way causing it to lose cumulative progress it made before the connection went dead and in effect losing more than 3-15 minutes of work each time the connection dies ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 09:55:39 PM

The internet connection dropping isn't much of an issue, miners will reconnect to the pool right after the internet is back up.
flix
Legendary

Activity: 1227
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:21:51 PM

The internet connection dropping isn't much of an issue, miners will reconnect to the pool right after the internet is back up.
I can confirm this. Miners will keep trying to reach the pool as long as the mining software is still open. My internet cuts out occasionally, but the miner will keep trying to reconnect until the internet comes back.
zzert1234 (OP)

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:44:40 PM

I can confirm this. Miners will keep trying to reach the pool as long as the mining software is still open. My internet cuts out occasionally, but the miner will keep trying to reconnect until the internet comes back.

This is obvious.

My question is if the Internet connection drops for 3 minutes, would this be causing only 3 minutes of lost mining time, or could it be potentially causing say 20 - 30 minutes of lost mining time, due to the miner requiring being connected for the full duration of  its "session" which say takes 20 - 30 mins per sesion.

Let me put it this way. If you need to carry a large bowl of water from point A to point B, and then somewhere in the middle on the road you accidentally drop  the bowl , it breaks down and spills the water, you can't just continue on your way. You need to get back to point A get another bowl of water and mange to carry it intact ( i.e without the Internet connection dropping ) for the full duration of the course.  

So the Internet Connection may drop/cut for only 1-2 mins at a time... but if the miner has  to restart from the beginning of the job, you are actually losing much more in mining-time, each time your connection drops.
olaf_d

Activity: 76
Merit: 11

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:02:46 PM

This is obvious.

My question is if the Internet connection drops for 3 minutes, would this be causing only 3 minutes of lost mining time, or could it be potentially causing say 20 - 30 minutes of lost mining time, due to the miner requiring being connected for the full duration of  its "session" which say takes 20 - 30 mins per sesion.

Let me put it this way. If you need to carry a large bowl of water from point A to point B, and then somewhere in the middle on the road you accidentally drop  the bowl , it breaks down and spills the water, you can't just continue on your way. You need to get back to point A get another bowl of water and mange to carry it intact ( i.e without the Internet connection dropping ) for the full duration of the course.  

So the Internet Connection may drop/cut for only 1-2 mins at a time... but if the miner has  to restart from the beginning of the job, you are actually losing much more in mining-time, each time your connection drops.

You aren't given a bowl, only a drink of water. If you drop your drink, no big deal. You just get a new one when you reconnect.
YIz

Activity: 686
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:04:54 PM

This is obvious.

I used to have internet issues but I've never lost much hashrate because of them, you will lose hashrate only for the time the miner was offline, use a pool with low value shares to make it even lower.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: