Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:48:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best OS to run an 8-GPU NVIDIA GTX 1070 rig?  (Read 3700 times)
natminer (OP)

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:11:04 PM

I currently have a couple of AMD rigs running on ethOS. I really like ethOS has a dashboard URL and I can peek in from my phone and see my rigs status (temp, hashrate, etc), especially the JSON URL (I wrote a python script to monitor things automatically and email me if a GPU fails)

I guess I'm saying I hope the answer to my question isn't Windows, cause then I guess Teamviewer is my only option  Smiley

I'm building an NVIDIA rig now and not sure what direction to go for the OS.

I did see another post here on the forums about "nvOC" (custom Ubuntu 16.04 build) and that actually looks perfect, but wondering if there are some other options I should also consider or if that is a slam-dunk?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
engineerking

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 12:21:37 AM

Bump. Looking for an EthOS but for nvidia.

Sounds like even ubuntu isn't that flexible for overclocking nvidia cards, so its almost only windows.. Which sucks...
Nalut

Activity: 96
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 12:59:32 AM

Why would't you just go for windows 10?
engineerking

Activity: 19

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:05:52 AM

instability, driver issues, less scripting friendly, not unix based ultimately... Large scale development would be more difficult to manage 10 windows boxes than linux. Also, the worst is having windows randomly restart for updates... If I want an update, ill do it myself...
xleejohnx

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:43:34 AM

I currently have a couple of AMD rigs running on ethOS. I really like ethOS has a dashboard URL and I can peek in from my phone and see my rigs status (temp, hashrate, etc), especially the JSON URL (I wrote a python script to monitor things automatically and email me if a GPU fails)

I guess I'm saying I hope the answer to my question isn't Windows, cause then I guess Teamviewer is my only option  Smiley

I'm building an NVIDIA rig now and not sure what direction to go for the OS.

I did see another post here on the forums about "nvOC" (custom Ubuntu 16.04 build) and that actually looks perfect, but wondering if there are some other options I should also consider or if that is a slam-dunk?

Thanks!

NvOS is your best bet right now for a all one os for mining with nvidia
Honestly I love it. It's stable and the creator is keeping things up to date

As I see a super coin as the super highway and alt coins as taxis and trucks needed to move transactions. ~philipma1957
kopija

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:42:20 AM

Windows 10 is just fine, if one learns its quirks.
I am using Windos 10 LTSB, Winaero Tweaker to simply disable automatic install of drivers and updates/restarts.
Linux is better choice but lack a tool like afterburner, so much CLI-ing and scripting is necessary.
Also no multipool switching program for Linux Smiley

we are nothing but a smart contracts on a cosmic blockchain
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:57:54 AM

Well I thought Linux was needed, but so far I'm up to almost 30 windows 10 machines and none of them have gone down for updates or anything yet. It's not a HUGE pita, it's tolerable for now. Maybe if I expand more it will be an issue, but for now I'll just keep adding risers to each machine since all of them are riserless for now.

Teamviewer fucked me though and now I can only log into any computer for 5 minutes before it cuts me off- which is fine because I'm only logged in for a few seconds but it's still fucked up they hit me with commercial usage suspected. What... a person can't own 30 computers for non commercial reasons? WTF is the world coming to Smiley
TwistyMcFister

Activity: 1

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:58:06 AM

I am using Windos 10 LTSB, Winaero Tweaker to simply disable automatic install of drivers and updates/restarts.
Linux is better choice but lack a tool like afterburner, so much CLI-ing and scripting is necessary.

Which mining program are you using on Win10 with multipool switching?
RomeoXak

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:43:30 AM

Definitely not windows 10.
I am having trouble since yesterday's update and my rig is now not functioning for a day. I have GTX 1070 Palit Super JetStream
After the update it seems the risers prefer using the Driver from Windows 10 (362.xx) instead of what I installed  before (382.xx).
Now I have been reinstalling drivers for more than five time. I used the last lates versions (388.33 and 388.05) but it still not work Riser still shows an "!" in Device Manager and when I tried to mine its barely 10% of hashrate. My last resort would be to freshly format Win10 again and install driver with just one card. before assembling the whole system.

Can you help me please? Windows update is messing me up. Any links for guides or something that can help?
VyprBTC

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 05:45:45 AM

Win+R
services.msc

Scroll down to windows update and disable it.
RomeoXak

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 06:03:07 AM

Win+R
services.msc

That was quick. Done and Disabled. Any other Windows 10 quircks I need to know?
Now I just have to make the Riser use the latest installed NVIDIA driver instead of using the wrong one.
VyprBTC

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 06:42:44 AM

Win+R
services.msc

That was quick. Done and Disabled. Any other Windows 10 quircks I need to know?
Now I just have to make the Riser use the latest installed NVIDIA driver instead of using the wrong one.

I am super noob and super brand new - this isn't my wheelhouse but glad i could help.

i am not using risers yet - but will be -- i read something about using "DDU" to uninstall and reinstall correct drivers? Someone with actual knowledge will have to guide you if you can't find the info yourself - hope that helps somewhat to get you on the right searching path.
opmac

Activity: 588

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:48:54 PM

Hey all

I am currently running 6 1070 gpus on z270a mobo
1200 watt psu
Win10
8gb ram
i3

Now the issue I am having is when mining eth with dual claymore miner it is freezing at random points. It sometimes runs for 10 hrs sometimes 1 hr
Screen locks and need to restart the pc

Nothing is overclocked all stock settings.

Anyone else have similar issues? What are people currently using for drivers? Any other tips or suggestions.  Thanks in advance

ltcsprite

Activity: 269
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:52:44 PM

Hey all

1200 watt psu
Win10
8gb ram
i3

Now the issue I am having is when mining eth with dual claymore miner it is freezing at random points. It sometimes runs for 10 hrs sometimes 1 hr

Anyone else have similar issues? What are people currently using for drivers? Any other tips or suggestions.  Thanks in advance

What's your total wattage draw at the wall?
opmac

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 10:55:37 PM

Hey all

1200 watt psu
Win10
8gb ram
i3

Anyone else have similar issues? What are people currently using for drivers? Any other tips or suggestions.  Thanks in advance

What's your total wattage draw at the wall?

Was also doing the same with only 4 cards. Drawing around 600

minerx117

Activity: 728
Merit: 256

NemosMiner-v3.8.1.3

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 11:39:46 PM

Windows 10 Enterprise N 64bit

NemosMiner-v3.8.1.3
opmac