Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:21:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Long time reader, first time poster  (Read 549 times)
Wethenorth (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:14:37 PM

Hi,
I got interested in cryptocurrencies and block chain about a year ago and my excitement has increased with the increasing uses and general adoption. I decided a month ago to attempt some mining as a test and have just received my first Antminer and an Ethereum rig (6 gpu unit). I also have a Litecoin miner on order and am hoping to see what it can do.

Its a lot to take in, what with deciding on hardware, what to mine, which trading sites, what wallet, which exchange, whose mining pool, etc. I am taking things slow, testing the waters and attempting to understand such a large and exciting world.

Im sure everyone has their opinion and I enjoy seeing the diversity of opinion. I think blockchain tech has implications for a lot of what is centralized in the world today. Looking forward to plugging in and observing what happens.

I'd like to scale if things work out. Being a part of making decentralization more mainstream would be great (you can likely sense my libertarian leanings). I'm also from an area that benefits from a positive delta between US and our local currency. And cheap hydroelectric power rates...

Any helpful pointers are appreciated. I'm no ones fool but differing perspectives are good to help guide the way forward.

Glad to be a part of things and looking forward to being part of the conversation.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:42:55 PM

Sounds like quite a step into the cryptocurrencies arena.

Since you have some miners on hand, head on over to the mining section
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=14.0
And start interacting with the pool owners and community.

Keep in mind it's a bitcoin section, take extra time making decisions, and be mindful of scammers.   

Wethenorth (OP)

Activity: 2

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 10:48:08 PM

Thanks VH. I will check out that thread and see if I can find a way forward. What are the best discussions about how to identify and avoid scams?
vh

Activity: 699
Merit: 666

View Profile
June 07, 2017, 11:02:16 PM

For that, head over to the Marketplace (read-only) / Trading Discussion section.   There are posts pin at the top of those sections/sub-sections with good informations and tips regarding scams and scammers.    As well as documented scam activity and interaction logs of how it played out.

victory1

Activity: 253
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 08:45:17 AM

Mining is not advisable, even with cheap power sources.
China miners have access to cheap mining hardware's (volume) and cheap manpower.
aeternus

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 03:34:52 AM

Mining is not advisable, even with cheap power sources.
China miners have access to cheap mining hardware's (volume) and cheap manpower.
Mining is not very profitable in bitcoin, but if you mine other crypto currencies you can find that the difficulty is not as high and there is still the chance of making some money there.
YassinBTC

Activity: 13

View Profile
June 10, 2017, 04:12:05 AM

Just Joined the forum Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: