Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:20:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Operating system to mine with 1070 gtx ?  (Read 569 times)
a1b1C22 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:06:02 PM

Hi I heard a lot about the difference between linux and windows in term of hashrate. Is this correct?
Please share with me your hashrate for whatever you mine(ETH, ZEC,...) and advise me for what to install there as OS?

Thank u.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to get the maximum amount of activity points possible, you just need to post once per day on average. Skipping days is OK as long as you maintain the average.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
daemonfox

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 02:10:49 PM

EthOS - Decent, well built, once you learn its config, it is simple and convenient. Worth the $39 and comes on SSD, USB or download with them hosting a remote connect link for you to allows access your rig when it is online anywhere.

Win 10 - Pro obviously gives you more things in Windows... but for mining... Home works JUST FINE and I have yet to see a hash difference between Pro and Home and I run both.

Linux Distos - All the same except if you pull a prebuilt image with preloaded tools and drivers etc. That is what EthOS is. Any linux disto works but you will have to go through a lot of setup compared to the two above. If you know Linux, no issue, if not then you are in for a decent learning experience.

Win 7/8/8.1 - All fine, but i have MUCH BETTER stability on Win 10 then I ever had on 7/8. I no longer have any of these in my house, so I can no longer speak to present day hashrates on them.

Bottom line, you will definitely do better starting with an OS you know... do not dive into Linux, spend money on hardware and think you will have a miner up in a day, it won;t happen if you aren't already fluent. If that is the case, Win 10 is simple enough... install Win, update, install GPU driver, DL miner config and start... done. Tweak and set up remote control etc.

100% HONESTY - I like EthOS... but despite all my attempts to tune it, I get more hash from Windows every time. Not all AMD and Nvidia drivers are created equal and while EthOS is trying to use the best known version, I get better results using the Windows drivers.

Tips: I LOVE using Google's Chrome Remote Desktop to maintain my remote miners... easy simple and FREE! Email monitoring is a must so use it!

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:11:54 PM

EthOS - Decent, well built, once you learn its config, it is simple and convenient. Worth the $39 and comes on SSD, USB or download with them hosting a remote connect link for you to allows access your rig when it is online anywhere.

Win 10 - Pro obviously gives you more things in Windows... but for mining... Home works JUST FINE and I have yet to see a hash difference between Pro and Home and I run both.

Linux Distos - All the same except if you pull a prebuilt image with preloaded tools and drivers etc. That is what EthOS is. Any linux disto works but you will have to go through a lot of setup compared to the two above. If you know Linux, no issue, if not then you are in for a decent learning experience.

Win 7/8/8.1 - All fine, but i have MUCH BETTER stability on Win 10 then I ever had on 7/8. I no longer have any of these in my house, so I can no longer speak to present day hashrates on them.

Bottom line, you will definitely do better starting with an OS you know... do not dive into Linux, spend money on hardware and think you will have a miner up in a day, it won;t happen if you aren't already fluent. If that is the case, Win 10 is simple enough... install Win, update, install GPU driver, DL miner config and start... done. Tweak and set up remote control etc.

100% HONESTY - I like EthOS... but despite all my attempts to tune it, I get more hash from Windows every time. Not all AMD and Nvidia drivers are created equal and while EthOS is trying to use the best known version, I get better results using the Windows drivers.

Tips: I LOVE using Google's Chrome Remote Desktop to maintain my remote miners... easy simple and FREE! Email monitoring is a must so use it!

All good info - i was wondering if you could explain what you do with email monitoring? thanks!
daemonfox

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:16:20 PM

All good info - i was wondering if you could explain what you do with email monitoring? thanks!

Depending on pool... its either an additional flag you set on your worker at the pool and it will send email if the workers DCs, or pools that mine straight to an address usually have the pass used as your email address, or an extension of the workername where your address goes. Look at Dwarfpool they use this method.

It is for your own piece of mind because you cant be at your miner 24/7.

H

¦¦¦                 
            ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
        ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦         
      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦           ¦           
     ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦                     ¦¦   
    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦        ¦¦¦¦ 
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦  
   ¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
  ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦              ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦ ¦¦¦¦¦¦   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦¦
   ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦  ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦    ¦¦¦¦¦ 
    ¦¦¦¦¦       ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     ¦¦¦¦¦¦ 
     ¦¦                      ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
              ¦           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦   
           ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦     
          ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦       
             ¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦¦          

R I Z E N
....ZEN Nodes.... ....Horizen Academy.... ....Help Desk    ....Faucet   
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
a1b1C22 (OP)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:19:09 PM

👍 Thank u very much for your explanation, its very helpful.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 04:26:22 PM

Depending on pool... its either an additional flag you set on your worker at the pool and it will send email if the workers DCs, or pools that mine straight to an address usually have the pass used as your email address, or an extension of the workername where your address goes. Look at Dwarfpool they use this method.

It is for your own piece of mind because you cant be at your miner 24/7.

Ah nice, thanks for explaining - have so far only used NiceHash and Zpool - I don't think either have those options I will look into other pools because you are right, that IS a nice feature for sure!

Thanks again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: