Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:04:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SOLVED: GPU fan stop (and don't start) once I start Claymore! Help!  (Read 892 times)
ben8jam (OP)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:06:02 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 07:10:15 AM by ben8jam

I had this working but had to reinstall Xubuntu and noticed that once I started Claymore the fan on my GPU comes to a dead stop. Luckily I saw it! So I reinstalled Xubuntu from scratch again, installed the AMD pro drivers, then claymore and everything seems okay. Until i started Claymore for the first time and again, the fan just comes to a stop.

XFX RX 570 plugged directly into the mobo. Yes, power cord is connected to GPU too. I have tried with one or two cards and they both stop once claymore starts.

It mines fine and even finds shares. Stats show the increasing temp (don't worry I kill it quickly) BUT fan speed is always at 22% (even though the fans aren't running).

Fans run just fine when I reboot.

How can I troubleshoot this? The first time I installed Xubunut and claymore everything ran fine. Could it be something in BIOS??
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:12:35 PM

You need a monitor or a dummy plug in the card plugged in the primary PCI-E x16 slot for the drivers to be able to read and set the fan and temperature settings. You also need to change the primary video to the PCI-E slot and not the on board video in the motherboard Bios.
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2017, 01:53:16 PM

You need a monitor or a dummy plug in the card plugged in the primary PCI-E x16 slot for the drivers to be able to read and set the fan and temperature settings. You also need to change the primary video to the PCI-E slot and not the on board video in the motherboard Bios.

Note: this all worked the very first time I set it up. Not both a Xubuntu with AMDPRO and a clean Ubuntu with stock drivers cause the same issue, both on same mobo.

Now I remember why I was using IGD. Booting to PEG with the monitor plugged into the GPU causes the system to never fully boot (wifi dongle never lights up, wired ethernet never connects) and lands on a totally distorted half black screen.

ALSO the fans on the GPU in the primary slot come to a stop.

This is what caused me to reinstall the OS, but it's never fixed it. Man alive.

AND I just tried on a clean Ubuntu install and the same thing happens. What the heck??
lentyna

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:06:56 AM

I have the same issue with RX580, running Xubintu. Claymore stops my GPU fans too. Temp quickly increases to 70C so I have to kill Claymore. Fans start running after rebooting the system. Still can not figure out the problem.
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:09:13 AM

I have the same issue with RX580, running Xubintu. Claymore stops my GPU fans too. Temp quickly increases to 70C so I have to kill Claymore. Fans start running after rebooting the system. Still can not figure out the problem.

Just let it keep going. The fans do kick on. It's a 5xx thing. Freaked me out too, but let it run. They are safe till about 90C, and they have a fail safe built in regardless. But monitor and quit if it does go above 80C.

I felt like such an idiot that I just wasn't waiting for the temp control to kick in and turn the fans on.
lentyna

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 07:57:19 AM

Wow, you are completely right. I tried what you said and it worked. As soon as it reached 75C fans started to spin and stopped again when temperature dropped to around 60C. Thanks a lot for letting me know.
akinava

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2017, 10:29:45 PM

I have exactly the same issue. But my claymore hangs with

GPU1 0.000 Mh/s
GPU0 t=69C fan=40%, GPU1 t=62C fan=22%
WATCHDOG: GPU 1 hangs in OpenCL call, exit
ben8jam (OP)

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 09:47:38 PM

I have exactly the same issue. But my claymore hangs with

GPU1 0.000 Mh/s
GPU0 t=69C fan=40%, GPU1 t=62C fan=22%
WATCHDOG: GPU 1 hangs in OpenCL call, exit

Try a new riser, or a new USB cable (if you are using risers). If not. Drivers?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: