Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:31:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Hypothetically.....How many bitcoin do I need to have today?  (Read 993 times)
CryptosapienZA (OP)

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 07:47:53 PM

Lets assume I wanted to have $1.6million in bitcoin in 20years. If we ASSUME the growth in the price of bitcoin remains as is for the next 10 years, and not so much in the next(you can pick a %) Roll Eyes Huh. How many bitcoin would I need to have today?

What do you mean by:
...the growth in the price of bitcoin remains as is...

Bitcoin's price growth is currently unstable and there are many ups and downs on its price within hours only. So can you enlighten us and explain your statement I just quoted in mathematical way.

Obviously that you cannot have a perfect answer for this, you even told us to assume a percentage of bitcoin's price growth after 10 years.

Why do you have to stick to a target if you can continue earning and buying from this day forward. That way, you may surpass your target.

The question was not intended to have one answer. Its a hypothetical question, and one can present their assumptions and argument.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1345

Defend Bitcoin and its PoW: bitcoincleanup.com

View Profile
June 09, 2017, 08:20:13 PM

Lets assume I wanted to have $1.6million in bitcoin in 20years. If we ASSUME the growth in the price of bitcoin remains as is for the next 10 years, and not so much in the next(you can pick a %) Roll Eyes Huh. How many bitcoin would I need to have today?

It's impossible to predict how bitcoin will grow. I believe bitcoin will grow on bubble-burst cycles with huge pumps, dumps and new floors.

Most people believe in 21 BTC being a good goal. Think in terms of total supply. 21 puts you in a limited group of 1 million (less, considering current supply + lost BTCs)

This should put you in a wealthy situation sooner or later.  If you want $1.6mm.. then you'll need $71k per coin. It's probably realistic in 20 years.
That's too much by far. Bitcoin has only 2 ways. It will either keep growing and become accepted by most countries, possibly even as a secondary currency, an alternative in case the main financial system goes to hell, or die. If the former happens, even 1BTC will be worth a fortune!
Let's do some math. in 10 years almost all coins will be mined and at least 10% will be permanently lost or unusable (Satoshi's stash, lost keys and passwords) We'll be left with with maybe 18 something million in circulation. The population of Japan is 126 million, so there won't be enough coins to supply the Japanese, not to mention the rest of the world. When people realize that they'll buy out everything.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███