Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:56:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Outdoor Mining Rig Project  (Read 402 times)
marcdemar (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 08:01:26 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning to build an outdoor mining rig. Basic idea is to use a waterproof garden storage box, equip it with fans for air in/out and perhaps include a dehumidifier. I live in a wet, maritime climate with generally cool summers and mild winters. The weather is fairly humid and there are considerable amounts of precipitation.

Any feedback on how to handle 1) fluctuating temperatures, 2) humidity and 3) dust? Well, I guess dust should not be a main concern if I use filters and a closed box.

I was thinking to just have the air inlets and outlets and some temperature and humidity sensors to get an idea of how 'box climate' evolves over time.

Any dos and don'ts?

I am a complete newbie, but plan to document the whole project step by step. See https://cryptocookbook.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/building-a-mining-rig/

Cheers,
Marc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rumpel_tusk

Activity: 171
Merit: 105

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 08:47:46 PM

I would advise against this. It will be more costly and more dangerous in the long run. You will have computer equipment that are not in an enclosure, and if your protections fail against the elements then your investment goes down the drain.
marcdemar (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2018, 09:25:01 PM

I would advise against this. It will be more costly and more dangerous in the long run. You will have computer equipment that are not in an enclosure, and if your protections fail against the elements then your investment goes down the drain.

You definitely have a point. However, the alternative is not building the rig (i live in an apartment with little space to spare). Not building is not an option.

I could find some alternative space somewhere in town perhaps, but it's an interesting challenge to build a rig that will run smoothly 24/7 and 365 days a year even though it runs outside. But sure... I may lose my investment if not done properly.
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:13:49 PM

You definitely have a point. However, the alternative is not building the rig (i live in an apartment with little space to spare). Not building is not an option.

I could find some alternative space somewhere in town perhaps, but it's an interesting challenge to build a rig that will run smoothly 24/7 and 365 days a year even though it runs outside. But sure... I may lose my investment if not done properly.

you do realize 24/7 and 365 days a year is impossible to achieve, there's always going to be some down time and I agree with other people I would advise against this kind of build simply because there's too many things that YOU have no control over and that could fail resulting in nothing less then the full loss of hardware, you have very little margin for error and if you think building a rig for outdoors is a feasible idea, I suggest you not get into mining until you have a better situation, not building the rig is a much better option than running the stupid risk of throwing hardware down the drain. its pretty much a no brainer on that one, btw unless you have lots of cash up front, good luck finding a location suitable for mining

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:20:31 PM

Hi all,

I'm planning to build an outdoor mining rig. Basic idea is to use a waterproof garden storage box, equip it with fans for air in/out and perhaps include a dehumidifier. I live in a wet, maritime climate with generally cool summers and mild winters. The weather is fairly humid and there are considerable amounts of precipitation.

Any feedback on how to handle 1) fluctuating temperatures, 2) humidity and 3) dust? Well, I guess dust should not be a main concern if I use filters and a closed box.

I was thinking to just have the air inlets and outlets and some temperature and humidity sensors to get an idea of how 'box climate' evolves over time.

Any dos and don'ts?

I am a complete newbie, but plan to document the whole project step by step. See https://cryptocookbook.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/building-a-mining-rig/

Cheers,
Marc

I would not go outside with gear even if protected from dust if that wet condensation can get in and destroy your mining equipment.  Salt or regular water maritime climate you will need to separate it from your gear completely as even just a little can kill machines.

I know this is old gear at this point but it show's corrosion and what it does to miners - Old SP20 thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=521520.msg11018389#msg11018389
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:37:02 PM

A single GPU rig doesnt take up much space, im sure you can find a quiet corner to tuck it in

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
January 02, 2018, 10:56:27 PM
Last edit: January 02, 2018, 11:33:37 PM by Shnikes101

This reminds me of the guy in Florida who has them on his back porch. Couldn't find the original thread but here's the youtube walk through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-_9F8R_PFU

marcdemar (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 06:50:03 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2018, 07:56:15 AM by marcdemar

Thanks for the feedback guys!
I realize this is not the easiest of setups. I did find this post here on the forum: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=76008.0

Maybe I will run some tests with a waterproof box without the rig (but with a heat source) and measure how temperature and humidity evolve over time.

Haven't given up on the idea. Anyway, if you want to follow the disaster unfolding, you can look here: https://cryptocookbook.wordpress.com/2017/12/25/building-a-mining-rig/  Wink
zukko

Activity: 257
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 07:34:56 AM

Just remember, if your farm turns off, condensation may fall on it. Do not turn it on immediately, put it into heat and dry it well.
ss10miner

Activity: 115
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 08:01:28 AM

the best is you can put your miners into a ventilated hole
marcdemar (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 10:06:41 AM

Just remember, if your farm turns off, condensation may fall on it. Do not turn it on immediately, put it into heat and dry it well.

Thx, that's a good piece of advice.

A single GPU rig doesnt take up much space, im sure you can find a quiet corner to tuck it in

I'm actually planning for 5 GPU's, with space for more. But yeah, my first step is to get the rig running...indoor that is.

This is a two-phased project:
1) Get a 5 GPU rig running efficiently (indoor)
2) Have the rig running reliably outside

Step 2 is the most tricky and really about thermal/humidity control. I don't want to spend too much on it and if it is not doable, I will find an indoor solution.
Gunny95

Activity: 252
Merit: 11

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 10:18:53 AM
Merited by Yasemin (4)

Perhaps you could add salt to your installation to counter te humidity, this is what I used to do to store oven-dried concrete specimens during my master's project.

There are frequent down-times, I have a mining rig consisting of 2x6 1070 GTX and I am lucky if I get 7 days in a row up-time.

Can't your work provide you a storage closet?

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing
marcdemar (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2018, 11:07:57 AM

Perhaps you could add salt to your installation to counter te humidity, this is what I used to do to store oven-dried concrete specimens during my master's project.

There are frequent down-times, I have a mining rig consisting of 2x6 1070 GTX and I am lucky if I get 7 days in a row up-time.

Can't your work provide you a storage closet?

Thx, I also thought of using salt to counter humidity. From what I have read, it should be quite effective. And yeah I know I won't be able to have a 100% up-time. Maybe 90%-95% if I'm lucky.

I'm sure I can find some space to run the rig indoor. Either at work, a friend's place or somewhere else. I'm not quite giving up the outdoor project just yet, as it has some interesting challenges.

Will keep you posted.
DiggyDiggy

Activity: 16

View Profile
February 19, 2018, 08:39:51 PM

First, you need to have it in some sort of a container - this will reducte dust and ensure protection from outdoor enviroment (water, bugs etc). Of course the level of protection depends on the material used. Second, you need good ventilation. This is a must for rigs in all enviroments, so a no brainer. Third, remember that condensations occurs on an object with lower temperature than the air. So as long as your rig is running it's ok because GPUs will probably be at least 50 degrees. Motherboard might be at risk here however. Having that in mind power outtages will be a problem, so prepare. So you must set the rig BIOS to power on when energy is restored (and have a miner open at startup). And if rig was off for a long time and some condesation occured you have to dry it out inside before running it (better safe than sorry). Of course the question is how safe you want to be? I'm running my rig in enviroment with around 60% humidity but I get anxious when it goes above 70%  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: