Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:55:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MtGox UPDATE  (Read 24151 times)
MeSarah

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:03:56 PM

All passwords will be disabled and you will have to reset your password with the email on file. If no email is on file then it will be handled manually.

I count almost 4,000 accounts with blank emails — and mine is one of them. How do you plan on handling them manually? How will you verify that whoever is claiming to be the owner really is the owner?

Thanks.

Associated bank accounts, that how. If you have a mind, use it!

I fear nothing. Say it! I fear nothing !!

60 GH/s BFL Single SC - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` Only $1299.99 - butterflylabs.com ``````

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DamienBlack

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:05:51 PM

All passwords will be disabled and you will have to reset your password with the email on file. If no email is on file then it will be handled manually.

I count almost 4,000 accounts with blank emails — and mine is one of them. How do you plan on handling them manually? How will you verify that whoever is claiming to be the owner really is the owner?

Thanks.

Associated bank accounts, that how. If you have a mind, use it!

I fear nothing. Say it! I fear nothing !!

You could also just call them and prove that you know roughly what the account history was like. About how much you own and for how long and whatnot. They'll get you figured out, no worries.
Gandlaf

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:06:04 PM

Everyone's bitcoins are safe on the site. We still are holding all the coins safely in reserve. The vast majority of the coins are stored offline so they are impossible to compromise.

If this was the first time difficulties of this kind had appeared with MtGox, I would be inclined to believe it, but arbitrarily freezing accounts or rolling back transactions seems to be the modus operandi for MtGox.

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=3712.680 (Essentially MtGox freezes 45000 USD over a dispute of the equivalent of USD 3000(at the time) in BTC. Reason: MtGox wants to investigate. Explanation is promised, but never given (the whole thing took place in Febuary))!

Interesting to note: As soon as the guy complaining threatens legal action, MtGox is sold to MagicTux(different person(?), different jurisdiction!), Complaint in the first days of march, MtGox signed over shortly after ( http://www.whois.net/whois/mtgox.com ).

The company named as running MtGox is Tibanne ( http://www.tibanne.com/contact.html ), their office location is in a very prime location in Tokyo, incidentally also provided as virtual offices ( http://www.abcn.com/offices-tokyo--f-cerulean-tower-26-1-2443 ).

MagicalTux(a.ka. Mark Karpeles)  himself seems to be working as a server admin for a fairly dodgy news-blog in Tokyo ( http://en.akihabaranews.com/?page=about )

The only explanation I ever heard from MtGox in reference to any indication has been either FUD or ´trust us´.

My question is, given all that has occured: Why should anyone be stupid enough to do that? Especially given the fact, that this is not the first case of less than transparent behaviour by MtGox.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:33:39 PM

And what about the users who had their accounts compromised in the past few weeks or so?

Many were trolls who lied, IMO.
A password hash does not allow you to login. The mysterious big account might have had a virus/key-logger on his PC.
I have had $200 vanish from my account. I have turned my PC upside down, including manual analysis and found no malware of any kind. I had a 20 character alphanumeric mixed case KeePass-generated random password. I was not a victim of the CSRF exploit as I could not reach the Mt. Gox site (thus wasn't logged in) at the moment the funds were stolen. Someone could easily break such a password by using a service like Amazon AWS - and it would actually pay off as you are trying to compromise accounts on a financial service that holds money. Not to mention that miners have hardware that is specifically suited for hashcracking.

Now tell me with a straight face that this was not related to the database leak.

Maybe I was mistaken, and sorry about your loss of money.
I wish I knew you in the real world, so then I'd know for certain your story is true.

cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:33:43 PM

Everyone's bitcoins are safe on the site. We still are holding all the coins safely in reserve. The vast majority of the coins are stored offline so they are impossible to compromise.

if this is what they say about whats happening, i guarantee its the truth.

i've dealt with these guys extensively in the past several months and they've delivered on everything they've promised.  be calm, everything's under control.

Synaptic

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:36:03 PM

...and they've delivered on everything they've promised.

Except y'know, providing a secure exchange for BTC while holding 90%+ of the entire BTC market...

...yeah. How cute.
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:38:20 PM

And what about the users who had their accounts compromised in the past few weeks or so?

A password hash does not allow you to login. The mysterious big account might have had a virus/key-logger on his PC.
I have had $200 vanish from my account. I have turned my PC upside down, including manual analysis and found no malware of any kind. I had a 20 character alphanumeric mixed case KeePass-generated random password. I was not a victim of the CSRF exploit as I could not reach the Mt. Gox site (thus wasn't logged in) at the moment the funds were stolen. Someone could easily break such a password by using a service like Amazon AWS - and it would actually pay off as you are trying to compromise accounts on a financial service that holds money. Not to mention that miners have hardware that is specifically suited for hashcracking.

Now tell me with a straight face that this was not related to the database leak.

Maybe I was mistaken, and sorry about your loss of money.
I wish I knew you in the real world, so then I'd know for certain your story is true.
I'm fairly easy to verify as being a real person. Google knows all etc.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
thefussydutchman

Activity: 142

BTC- Its not a bubble.

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:39:59 PM

they wont let me sign in. Ideas?
bittrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:42:03 PM

Their main site is down. The only thing up is the support site, where your main credentials don't work.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 10:45:09 PM

i would deffently think twice using mtgox for the service do the fact they have taken down access to our accounts and we have to take a 3rd parties advice to settle down and they they are safe btc or funds this is BULLSHIT with how much i have invested I DO NOT LIKE ANYONE keeping me from my investment. so for this day forward I look to start dealing with people direct and use like clearcoin for the transfer of coins that also cuts out the % mtgox takes. I am freaking pissed I cant trust they took enough security measures to protect us in the first freaking place then they should not have opened their online service.

I dont have to worry about banks not letting me have access to my accounts or funds do to a issue they could not have for-sen so for mtgox.com to pull that shit is a power play with OUR money. Im looking into attornys tomorrow to find out their responsibly
and loss of revenues.

this my opinion and the facts.
Tomorrow is a day of reckoning .

It sounds like you failed to perform due diligence as an investor before sending your money off to a hobbyist-run Japanese web site with no real customer support or institutional accountability.

And now that the counterparty risks that you so blithely ignored have raised their ugly heads, you're throwing a tantrum.

Please, tell us all on Monday how long your attorney laughs at you and your Herpy Derpy "day of reckoning."

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:52:36 PM

A password hash does not allow you to login.

60000 password hashes, where 26 of them used the password "password", 11 used the password "abc123", 7 used the password "bitcoin" 3 used the password "secret" and 1 used the password "fuck" - that lets you log in.

I don't have a GPU, and my CPU is slow, but it's still trivial to find (some) passwords given enough hashes.  With a little more effort it's possible to find the combination of weak password and high balance.

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
mizerydearia

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 10:56:57 PM

My question is, given all that has occured: Why should anyone be stupid enough to do that? Especially given the fact, that this is not the first case of less than transparent behaviour by MtGox.

This is simple!!

MagicalTux has a vested interest in more users using the site because of the 0.65% transaction fee for every trade.  TradeHill also I think with 0.6% transaction fee.  Thus, it is likely for them to preserve and maintain a reputable acceptance from community at any extent so as to preserve their profitability.

In my opinion, this seems the basis for a kind of corruption of openness and honesty that is paramount within open source mentality/community.  e.g. proprietary (* through obscurity) vs open source.

Also my opinion, I would be more comfortable with supporting (voting with my bitcoins and usage of) a more open exchange (openness in terms of quick and honest responses, to the point, blunt, etc), as opposed to one that delays and spends time on producing more nice sounding message and especially one that is not entirely accurate or believable especially with previous misleading, false, inaccurate or blatantly wrong/lying type of statements/claims.
klamathonsite

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:00:11 PM

any way you swing dipshit there is accountability and the fact they are the case to our emails and other financial institutions where compermised  do to their lack of security which leaves them open for liabilities weather they like it or not.
Someone has your email and login and now if its the same as what you used for Dwolla or paypal now your fucked buddy
you will learn troll.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:08:28 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2011, 11:53:46 PM by iCEBREAKER

Please post any questions you have here and I'll do my best to answer.

When is MtGox going to pay for, and publish results from, a professional security audit?

If you want to be a real online broker, you need to invest in Wells-Fargo levels of vulnerability analysis.

Start with NTOSpider On-Demand, http://www.ntobjectives.com/ntoondemand, to get an idea of where you stand.

Then you need to hire an experienced consultant to make sure everything is absolutely bulletproof.

I HIGHLY recommend Strategic Data Command of Oakland, CA.  Larry Suto is among the best at what he does.

It might cost you a small fortune, but if you want results you need to call in world-class experts.

I will repost this same bit of advice to our Tradehill rep. as well.

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
klamathonsite

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:24:35 PM

Emailed issued few minutes ago from the mt.gox

Dear Sir or Madam,

A few hours ago the Bitcoin trading website Mt Gox has been hacked. Malicious individuals have been able to obtain a database containing usernames, email address and encrypted passwords. This information has been posted publicly on the internet.

As a Bitcoin supporter I'm now sending a message to every email address contained in the hacked database. This is to warn you that your username, email address and password have been leaked. I therefore strongly advice you to change your passwords. If you have used the same password on different websites it's highly recommended to change your password on all of your accounts!

For a more secure alternative to Mt Gox, the community appears to be moving to TradeHill. So this is no reason to lose faith in Bitcoin itself. It must be seen as a warning that not every website can be trusted with your data however! Their link is http://www.tradehill.com/?r=TH-R15683 (Note: You can remove the Referral Code when registering if you want!) This is certainly not the only website where you can exchange Bitcoins, also check out http://www.thebitcoinlist.com/dp_bitcoin/bitcoin-exchange/

Sincerely,

A Bitcoin supporter
1CWSjov2N7ix41bZ8bJfHXkdLLbkUsG9Y7
FairUser

Activity: 1344
Merit: 264

bit.ly/3QXp3oh | Ultimate Launchpad on TON

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:24:58 PM

Read the news, the news that is everywhere right now.
Read their front page, which explains it.

TONUP██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▄▄███████▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████▄░▄▄▀█████▀▄████▄
▄███████▄▀█▄▀██▀▄███████▄
█████████▄▀█▄▀▄██████████
██████████▄▀█▄▀██████████
██████████▀▄▀█▄▀█████████
▀███████▀▄██▄▀█▄▀███████▀
▀████▀▄█████▄▀▀░▀█████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀███████▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████████▀▀█████▄
▄██████████▀▀█████▐████▄
██████▀▀████▄▄▀▀█████████
████▄▄███▄██▀█████▐██████
█████████▀██████████████
▀███████▌▐██████▐██████▀
▀███████▄▄███▄████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄███████████████▄▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████▀▀███▀▀███▀▀██▀███▄
████▀███████▀█▀███▀█████
██████████████████████
████▄███████▄█▄███▄█████
▀████▄▄███▄▄███▄▄██▄███▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀███████▀▀▀
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
JOIN NOW
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████████
CharlieContent

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:36:04 PM

Lol at a guy who is in LulzSec complaining on here about losing $200.

To be honest I think you have bigger things to worry about than losing $200 Sven. You losing your money has given me much Lulz! I suppose you must approve of that! There will also be much Lulz when you are arrested by your local police force. Smiley

http://lulzsecexposed.blogspot.com/2011/06/joepie-doxed.html
makomk

Activity: 686
Merit: 564

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:44:26 PM

if this is what they say about whats happening, i guarantee its the truth.

i've dealt with these guys extensively in the past several months and they've delivered on everything they've promised.  be calm, everything's under control.

A few days before their entire user database was publicly published, someone was trying to flog it for sale. MagicalTux insisted that it was a lie, that there was no way it could've been leaked. We know how well they delivered on that promise.

Quad XC6SLX150 Board: 860 MHash/s or so.
SIGS ABOUT BUTTERFLY LABS ARE PAID ADS
opticbit

Activity: 695
Merit: 502

PGP: 6EBEBCE1E0507C38

View Profile WWW
June 19, 2011, 11:56:46 PM

got an alert from google, someone's been trying to log into my gmail acct.  That is on the MT.Gox database.

My gmail pass was different, and I have changed it.

this is a reminder to me to go around to all the sites and change the pw.

Bitrated user: opticbit.
https://www.bitrated.com/opticbit
joepie91

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 19, 2011, 11:59:21 PM

Lol at a guy who is in LulzSec complaining on here about losing $200.

To be honest I think you have bigger things to worry about than losing $200 Sven. You losing your money has given me much Lulz! I suppose you must approve of that! There will also be much Lulz when you are arrested by your local police force. Smiley

http://lulzsecexposed.blogspot.com/2011/06/joepie-doxed.html
Yes, because everything you read on the internet is absolutely and completely true. Do some research before you claim things. I am not a part of Lulzsec, and I'm not involved in what they do. If you had actually read a bit *more* than just one single blog, you would have found that the supposed "Lulzsec channel" was not actually a Lulzsec channel, and that the dox and/or information on that site are grossly inaccurate (Barrett Brown a part of Lulzsec? REALLY?)

Get a clue before you shout.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: