Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:51:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How does first wallet sync happen?  (Read 416 times)
|SharpShooter| (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 03:57:19 PM

Hey guys, pardon me for my dumb questions as i am in the process of learning few things. I understand that when someone installs a wallet it becomes a node (at least for the coins i have tested with) and other wallet/node can talk to that and sync. So for an existing coin, if i have a wallet running with updated version and if it is the only wallet with updated protocol versions, how does it generate new blocks. Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6587

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2017, 04:48:36 PM

if i have a wallet running with updated version and if it is the only wallet with updated protocol versions, how does it generate new blocks.
In whatever way the consensus rules specify that blocks should be generated.

Block generation has nothing to do with syncing.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4622

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 04:51:04 PM

Hey guys, pardon me for my dumb questions as i am in the process of learning few things. I understand that when someone installs a wallet it becomes a node (at least for the coins i have tested with) and other wallet/node can talk to that and sync. So for an existing coin, if i have a wallet running with updated version and if it is the only wallet with updated protocol versions, how does it generate new blocks. Thanks!

Since you posted this in the "Development & Discussion" sub-forum, I assume you are asking about Bitcoin?  If you are asking about some altcoins, you'll need to move this thread to the altcoin sub-forum.  You can use the "Move Topic" link at the bottom of the thread to move it if you are the creator of the thread.

That being said, Bitcoin wallets don't generate blocks.  Miners do.

If a Bitcoin wallet updates to a new version that is incompatible with the old version (a forking change), then the the wallet will refuse to accept any blocks created and relayed by any peers that are still running the old version. The wallet will have to wait until a miner updates to the same version and starts creating blocks with the new rules.

This is why forking changes typically include an "activation date", an "activation threshold", and an "activation signal".  The "activation signal" allows miners to announce in their old-version blocks that they are ready to start creating new blocks.  The "activation threshold" allows wallets and other miners to determine that there are enough miners that are ready to start creating new blocks. The "activation date" makes sure that everyone that is ready switches over to the rules of the new version at the same time so that nobody is left without any useful peers.
|SharpShooter| (OP)

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 05:15:56 PM

Since you posted this in the "Development & Discussion" sub-forum, I assume you are asking about Bitcoin?  If you are asking about some altcoins, you'll need to move this thread to the altcoin sub-forum.  You can use the "Move Topic" link at the bottom of the thread to move it if you are the creator of the thread.

That being said, Bitcoin wallets don't generate blocks.  Miners do.

If a Bitcoin wallet updates to a new version that is incompatible with the old version (a forking change), then the the wallet will refuse to accept any blocks created and relayed by any peers that are still running the old version. The wallet will have to wait until a miner updates to the same version and starts creating blocks with the new rules.

This is why forking changes typically include an "activation date", an "activation threshold", and an "activation signal".  The "activation signal" allows miners to announce in their old-version blocks that they are ready to start creating new blocks.  The "activation threshold" allows wallets and other miners to determine that there are enough miners that are ready to start creating new blocks. The "activation date" makes sure that everyone that is ready switches over to the rules of the new version at the same time so that nobody is left without any useful peers.

Apologies, also new to this forum and yes i am talking about an alt coin but your explanation completely makes sense. Until i try to find a way to move this topic to altcoin, hope you dont mind me asking another question. So for a POS altcoin, whoever has the new version pretty much has to stake for new blocks correct?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4622

View Profile
September 22, 2017, 06:38:45 PM

Apologies, also new to this forum and yes i am talking about an alt coin but your explanation completely makes sense. Until i try to find a way to move this topic to altcoin, hope you dont mind me asking another question. So for a POS altcoin, whoever has the new version pretty much has to stake for new blocks correct?

I see you have successfully moved the thread.

I have no expertise in altcoins.  I'll leave it for others to answer your questions.
salmanahmedone

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 03:43:39 AM

If there are no other nodes to get the blockchain from, the wallet would possibly create its own. This is not something that you really need to worry about. Most coins will just bog down if they can't get a connection and that means it is a pretty useless coin. Adding new nodes helps, but with your level of experience, maybe you should stick to the proven coins and not newer ones.
|SharpShooter| (OP)

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 04:17:29 PM

Thank you everyone!
Eric Cartman

Activity: 741
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
September 23, 2017, 04:21:53 PM

The same as all the others syncings if you ever close your wallet. Only difference is the process will start with the first block

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
Pages: [1]
  Print