Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:59:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Updating Air Gapped Electrum Cold Storage (updating to 2.8 question)  (Read 397 times)
dmcdad (OP)

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 12:39:50 AM
Last edit: June 16, 2017, 03:48:25 PM by dmcdad

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
HI-TEC99
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 2846

View Profile
June 13, 2017, 02:23:01 PM
Last edit: April 27, 2018, 11:19:33 PM by HI-TEC99

You don't need scripts to sign transactions using the latest version of electrum, it does it for you.

Use the latest version of electrum on your offline cold storage computer, and choose its option to restore a wallet from your seed wallet words, and leave the password field blank. If you open the wallet file it creates you should be able to find the wallet's master public key

Use the latest version of electrum on your online computer, and choose its option to create/restore a new wallet. Select "standard wallet", then select "use public or private keys". You should see this window where you can input your master public key (xpub).

After your watching only wallet's created when you want to spend coins do it as normal, but click the preview button, then either click the save button to save the unsigned transaction as a file, or click the button with the QR code icon to get the unsigned transaction as a QR code.

Transfer the unsigned transaction to your offline ,machine, click tools, then load transaction and select the file or QR code.

Sign the transaction offline, then repeat the process to save the signed transaction as a file, or QR code. Transfer the signed transaction to your online machine, click tools, load transaction, then click the broadcast button.

I haven't yet tested these instructions. If they don't work try creating a new online wallet using the addresses from your cold wallet as in the screenshot.

Note: reading QR codes doesn't work in the latest windows version of electrum, but works in the linux version.

Fragbait

Activity: 205
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 01:51:42 PM

Note: reading QR codes doesn't work in the latest windows version of electrum, but works in the linux version.

On Linux (at least on my Mint KDE 18.1) I have to go to Tools-Preferences-Appearance and change the video device choice to default and then back to my actual webcam before I try to read any QR code, otherwise the Electrum wallet will crash. This back and forth switching has to be done before every QR read.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: