Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 02:45:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mtgox's official story could be wrong. The BTC of many accounts was sold.  (Read 11610 times)
jaybny

Activity: 410
Merit: 250

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 11:18:42 AM

so either hacker is pretty dumb or some info is missing here.

hacker was pretty dumb. he got blindsided by the $1000 limit, and panicked.

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:37:22 AM

so anyway, what was the point in this? I don't see why would anyone do that .. why not instead sell SOME BTC and when the price is sufficiently low, withdraw remaining BTC.

Would that have worked? How is the withdrawal limit calculated - spot price or some weighted average? It's also possible this was all done to stress the market, for what purposes I'd rather not guess at. Or maybe the perpetrator(s) really were pretty stupid. Not enough info at this point to conclude much.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
BCEmporium
Legendary

Activity: 1218

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:50:10 AM

I guess that 1000 USD equivalent limit is based in MtGox Last.
And that 100~200 btc isn't what the blockchain tells us. Could happen for some coincidence someone was moving all that amount of btc at the same time, but once the transactions are given order to enter the blockchain there's no roll back possible. My estimation, based on the blockchain, goes to 500k, a btc worth of nearly 7,5 million usd.

██████████████████            ██████████
████████████████              ██████████
██████████████          ▄█   ███████████
████████████         ▄████   ███████████
██████████        ▄███████  ████████████
████████        ▄█████████  ████████████
██████        ▄███████████  ████████████
████       ▄██████████████ █████████████
██      ▄███████████████████████████████
▀        ███████████████████████████████
▄          █████████████████████████████
██▄         ▀███████████████████████████
████▄        ▀██████████████████████████
██████▄        ▀████████████████████████
████████▄        ████████████████▀ █████
██████████▄       ▀█████████████  ██████
████████████▄       ██████████   ███████
██████████████▄      ▀██████    ████████
████████████████▄▄     ███     █████████
███████████████████▄    ▀     ██████████
█████████████████████▄       ███████████
███████████████████████▄   ▄████████████

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|
  TRUE BLOCKCHAIN GAMING PLATFORM 
DECENTRALISED AUTONOMOUS UNIVERSES

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
relative

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:53:40 AM

can anyone verify that?

that's kind of important to the story claimed by MtGox.
jaybny

Activity: 410

Proof-of-Skill - protoblock.com

View Profile WWW
June 20, 2011, 11:56:48 AM

the 500k transfer was Mtgox transferring to a backup as a security precaution.

Protoblock turns knowledge of American football into Fantasybit coin, a margin token used to monetize leveraged skill.

https://twitter.com/jaybny/status/1022596877332762624
relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 11:58:54 AM

says who? your guess?

if so, security at MtGox was even worse.
500k should not be online but deposited in an offline address from the beginning.

Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:02:13 PM

Mtgox keeps most of his users' BTC balance in an offline wallet.

There is only so much the attacker could have stolen from the wallets on the server.  Definitely less than 500K.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:16:12 PM

Not buying that one. Trade halted nearly 15 minutes after that transfer. He would halt trade as first measure.

▄█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███▄                ▄███            █████            ████████████████   ████████████████▄             █████
███▀                 ███             ███   ███   ████▄              ▄████           ███████           ███                ███           ▀███           ███████
███                  ███             ███   ███   █████▄            ▄█████          ███▀ ▀███          ███                ███            ███          ███▀ ▀███
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███ ███▄        ▄███ ███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄        ███                ███           ▄███        ▄███▀   ▀███▄
███                  ███████████████████   ███   ███  ▀██▄      ▄██▀  ███       ▄███▀     ▀███▄       ████████████████   ████████████████▀        ▄███▀     ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███   ▀███    ███▀   ███      ▄███▀       ▀███▄      ███                ███        ███          ▄███▀       ▀███▄
███                  ███             ███   ███   ███    ▀███  ███▀    ███     ▄███▀         ▀███▄     ███                ███         ███        ▄███▀         ▀███▄
███▄                 ███             ███   ███   ███      ██████      ███    ▄███             ███▄    ███                ███          ███      ▄███             ███▄
▀█████████████████   ███             ███   ███   ███       ████       ███   ▄███               ███▄   ████████████████   ███           ███    ▄███               ███▄

|

HOME PAGE                                                                  WHITE PAPER 
|
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:49:10 PM

can anyone verify that?

that's kind of important to the story claimed by MtGox.

No, on the interview, it was said to be 100 to 200 BTC.  Others have posted that the limit was based on a weighted average, probably for reasons just like this.  A weighted average seems to match up pretty well with the 100 to 200 claimed.

Not buying that one. Trade halted nearly 15 minutes after that transfer. He would halt trade as first measure.

I wish I could read minds too.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Epinnoia

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:52:45 PM

says who? your guess?

if so, security at MtGox was even worse.
500k should not be online but deposited in an offline address from the beginning.

The person interviewed from MtGox last night said so.   He said they were moving coins to a more secure/safe wallet.

My first miner -> ATI 4550 (7.2 Mh/sec): 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cryptospeculators/
Bruce Wagner

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:53:40 PM

Bitcoin World Rocked! Major New Information in the "MtGox was Hacked" Story - "which might change how you feel about everything" - will be Revealed Live at 2pm ET (18:00 UTC) Today June 20 on The Bitcoin Show http://onlyonetv.com

Then, Mark Karpeles himself, the owner of MtGox will personally appear Live to answer all of your questions at 10pm ET Today June 20 (02:00 UTC June 21) on The Bitcoin Show http://onlyonetv.com
xenon481

Activity: 406

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:53:45 PM

Why halt trading first? Rolling back fixes the trading. You can't get the coins back after they are transferred.

The #1 priority is to protect the coins.

Tips Appreciated: 171TQ2wJg7bxj2q68VNibU75YZB22b7ZDr
BCEmporium
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 12:56:01 PM
Last edit: June 20, 2011, 01:09:45 PM by BCEmporium

I know you guys want to keep optimistic, but I'm naturally pessimistic. Sorry for that.
I don't stick to Murphy's law, don't think that if something might go wrong it will go wrong, but always like to be prepared for the worse scenario. Just because I believe that this way I might be happy if I'm wrong but also not fail to despair if I'm right.

@kjj,

It's not a matter of read minds, a thing I can't obviously do, but a matter of reading timelines, a thing I can perfectly do.

@xenon481

While trading was live, people was trading and withdrawing. Mind to tell me where that is to protect whatsoever?! That 500k move was within the time between the start of the attack and MtGox to noticed it, not a MtGox move. If you want to believe it was something else think it was some unrelated movement by coincidence to happen at such time.
That's the best possible scenario, not "MtGox's Star Trek security" which he hadn't, most likely he just uses bitcoind as database, there's no bitcoin fractional reserve nor bitcoins even exist offline for he to put them there. Offline he probably have wallet backups, which are pretty much useless now.

Also to notice, when Jed made it, bitcoin was a pennies pet market experiment, not the million dollar market it is today.

|

|
relative

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:00:50 PM

there might still be a rather large loot, but the 500k transaction was not part of it.
see https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=20000.0
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 01:13:33 PM

@kjj,

It's not a matter of read minds, a thing I can't obviously do, but a matter of reading timelines, a thing I can perfectly do.

No, you read a timeline, and then you read his mind to find out what he really would do, and you drew a conclusion based on the timeline not matching the results of your psychic probe.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: