Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:25:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Several years ago I bought coins from eBay, how do I access them and verify there worth?
Y - 0 (0%)
N - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help with access to coins and transfer!  (Read 471 times)
LEEVAZ166! (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 04:40:26 PM

Several years ago I bought different currencies off eBay while Bit coin was hot. Then  it tanked. Here we are several years later and it is huge.  I bought off eBay and got paper coins. Are these worth any thing most of them are litcoin. I also have ripple? I downloaded digital wallets several years ago on an old laptop that has since crashed. Are these coins lost forever?
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 04:53:10 PM

let's start with the "paper coins". I assume you mean a paper wallet. If that is the case, do you still have the paper wallet?
If the answer is yes then you will likely see a "payment address", sometimes called a "receiving address" or a "public key". This key can be entered at a site like blockchain.info to check the balance. With most paper wallets the "private key" is hidden inside. NEVER NEVER EVER show that key to ANYONE!!!!! If you do your money could be taken in a moment.

Buying a paper wallet off ebay is a VERY risky thing to do. If the seller who made the wallet wanted he/she could keep a copy of the private key and claw back the money at any time. I would move that BTC or LTC to a wallet under your exclusive control, ASAP.

As far as the coins on the laptop... It may be worth your time to have some forensics done on the Hard Drive. Do not format the drive. Instead you may be able to hook it up to another computer and search for the Wallet.dat file(in BTC), or the wallet file for other coins/wallets you may have. That file contains the private keys and without private keys there is absolutely no hope of recovery.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
LEEVAZ166! (OP)

Activity: 4

View Profile
June 14, 2017, 07:38:14 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the information and a place to start.
autistaorange

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 12:24:18 AM

You probably shouldn't buy paper wallets off of ebay.  People could scam you and steal your coins by keeping track of your keys...
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
June 28, 2017, 12:36:18 AM

Several years ago I bought different currencies off eBay while Bit coin was hot.
Bitcoin is hot every couple years when mainstream media catch this topic again.
Buying crypto on ebay is not good idea at all. You should use localbitcoins or just exchanges that let you exchange your local currency (FIAT) to crypto currencies.

Go this road, not ebay road.
krauzzer02

Activity: 378
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 07, 2017, 05:47:34 AM

If you didn't know how to retrieve your coins in your old laptop, have a technician or IT fix that for you, don't reformat your hard drive because
it will wipe out all your current data including your coins, it will become difficult to retrieve that, also make it sure that the person is authentic and trusted one
legend018

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 04:57:00 PM

You could look into a harddrive adapter, if there is life in the harddrive - you could possible just use the adapter. Plug it into usb and then see the drive and find what you need.
mapar

Activity: 40

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:40:48 PM

Try to contact a friend of yours who knows hardware. It is usually not that hard to recover the data from hard drive  Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: