Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:03:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: MTGOX dont forget to change your wallet addresses as well.  (Read 1794 times)
neoteric (OP)

Activity: 9
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:25:01 PM

I've been reading the threads, and I don't think this has been mentioned.

It seems that it might be worthwhile to check your wallet address before you withdraw.  I understand that only the database was pulled from somewhere and that the hacking was done by breaking hashes.  MagicalTux has said that the hackers only had access to a read only copy.

Which would make sense to me.  If they had access to the database, they could just change peoples wallets to their own.  Then when people withdrew coins, they would go to the hackers.

Now, I am not a technical genius, so please dont beat up on me.  But I for one will be changing my address when I am able to log on.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 05:28:11 PM

I don't think Mt Gox stored wallet addresses anyway as you suggest. At least I had to input an address every time I withdrew BTC from there.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: