Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:46:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallets - Multiple Questions  (Read 2224 times)
Mitel

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2017, 01:35:53 PM

I discovered Exodus wallet the other day, it supports several coins. It's also a kind of exchange. Interesting stuff.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
neverxpected (OP)

Activity: 19

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2017, 02:59:50 PM

Thanks for clearing those questions up for me Muhammed!  And I'll definitely check out testnet!
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 03:52:58 AM

So I made backup's of all my wallets this weekend.  Grin 

But some wallets I couldn't find a "wallet.dat" file, for example the bytecoin wallet was, "bytecoinwallet.wallet"....so I'm assuming that's the same as the "wallet.dat" file correct?

Also, maybe a really dumb question, but I'm assuming the moment at which you backup your wallet.dat file isn't stuck in time at that moment with that exact amount of coins correct? 

Say I backup my wallet today and then put in another 10 coins into the wallet and don't back up the wallet.dat file again and my computer crashes, when I reinstall the new wallet on my computer and overwrite the wallet.dat file with the backed up one, does it show the new 10 coins or just the previous balance at the moment I backed up the file?

Hope that made sense!
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2017, 10:47:26 AM

But some wallets I couldn't find a "wallet.dat" file, for example the bytecoin wallet was, "bytecoinwallet.wallet"....so I'm assuming that's the same as the "wallet.dat" file correct?
This is not the section to ask about shitcoin wallets. This section is for Bitcoin related questions. Some Bitcoin wallets do not store theirs as a "wallet.dat" file.

Also, maybe a really dumb question, but I'm assuming the moment at which you backup your wallet.dat file isn't stuck in time at that moment with that exact amount of coins correct? 
This is where many people are deeply confused. A Bitcoin wallet does not hold coins. A Bitcoin wallet is a collection of keypairs, thus it does not matter when you've backed the keys up.

Say I backup my wallet today and then put in another 10 coins into the wallet and don't back up the wallet.dat file again and my computer crashes, when I reinstall the new wallet on my computer and overwrite the wallet.dat file with the backed up one, does it show the new 10 coins or just the previous balance at the moment I backed up the file?
After you synchronize and rescan the wallet (both of which should be automatic with Bitcoin Core) all funds will show up. It is recommended to occasionally make newer backups though.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
neverxpected (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2017, 05:19:35 AM

This is not the section to ask about shitcoin wallets. This section is for Bitcoin related questions. Some Bitcoin wallets do not store theirs as a "wallet.dat" file.

This is where many people are deeply confused. A Bitcoin wallet does not hold coins. A Bitcoin wallet is a collection of keypairs, thus it does not matter when you've backed the keys up.

After you synchronize and rescan the wallet (both of which should be automatic with Bitcoin Core) all funds will show up. It is recommended to occasionally make newer backups though.

Sorry...I started the thread (my fist post/thread ever on the site) and said to move the thread if it wasn't started in the proper place.  Figured "other" would fit these types of questions.

Other than that, thanks for the clarification on the .dat file question.
janedt

Activity: 430
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 07:24:36 AM

The most easiest one is just try online web wallet blockchain.info.
Zicadis
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1027

Dump it!!!

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 07:46:01 AM

-snip-
I'm confused by the wallets and feel like I've found mixed answers around the web so I figured I would try my luck here.

• Do I need to download a wallet for EACH currency I own/mine or is there an a downloadable wallet that holds multiple currencies?
Its not mandatory to download a wallet but if the coin you want to use has a provision for a web wallet you could use that.. and great news for you there are a handful of multicurrency wallets but you can take a look at https://jaxx.io and  https://bit.ac

• If I delete a wallet from my hard drive do I lose all my coins or can I just re-download the wallet and get access to my coins as long as I have the address/password saved for the previous wallet?
If you have the private key to the wallet stored separately your coins are safe and address/password are not good enough to secure your coins

• Is there another good site/forum/place that would go into more details about wallets in general?
Look no further, BITCOINTALK is your answer... you will be amazed at how much information is available to you right here on the forum
good luck with our journey
colossus

Activity: 121
Merit: 100

Obey me and live or disobey and die.

View Profile
July 11, 2017, 10:25:48 AM

How do you download wallet from the site? Oo
It is an online method
Beerwizzard

Activity: 924
Merit: 148

View Profile
July 12, 2017, 09:23:38 AM

Is it possible to open the same wallet.dat file from different clients?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: