Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:40:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Parallel Miner 2400w PSU - questions / input requested  (Read 5385 times)
Shnikes101

Activity: 254
Merit: 109

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 09:31:48 PM

Reading these posts makes me want to switch over to server psu's so bad. Should have done it that way in the beginning...

Really liking those 6pin risers. Going to order a handful. Thanks for the link!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 23, 2017, 10:08:29 PM

I bought one of the 2400w psu with breakout board and mine came with 16 6 pin to 6+2 pin cables I have two of my rigs gpus running off it than I ran the risers and motherboard off 600w psu and I'll tell u I love this 2400w psu also it did take a little longer than expected to get it because of the demand but when it shipped I had it in 2 days
droghtak

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:09:18 AM

Using the stock coolers on a wireframe shelf with a box fan at each end set as push/pull out a window.  Room gets close to 90F, cards are pretty stable around 70C, fans on the PSUs never seem to need to really ramp up so they're fairly quiet.  I have the PSUs at the outside with cards in the middle though so the cards are working a little harder to stay cool.

Each 2400 is only pushing 6 cards + risers so i'm certainly not maxing them.  I'd have gone with 1200s but they weren't in stock at the time.

I have bought a 40cm box FAN (90w) and it definetly helps. But this is still loud... Im pulling close to 2400W, not sure where to put the PSU.

I think I will try to glue a heatsink to the corner which gets hotter (the one closer to the 2 FANS)

I can try another FAN as exhaust, I guess you just put the box fans in line with the rig between them, right?

With my setup, PULLING the hot air out works better than pushing cool air in...

I used to have box fans blowing over my rigs, but now I have them pulling the hot air out through a window.

I found that when pulling the air out, the negative air pressure is more than ample to pull in cold air and keep the rigs cool enough.

Could you share a pic of your setup?
are you running the PSU close to 100% ?
SCSI2

Activity: 206
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:53:22 AM

I got five of these the other day. Installed two today on 1080ti rigs. Will go order another box of five while they last... these are seriously decent PSUs and the cables are simply top-notch. The 16 AWG is really a 16 AWG and I have no doubt the 6-pin cable can handle 200+ watts without breaking a sweat. The insulation on wires is of great quality too!

The fans are getting pretty pretty loud with 8x1080ti pulling ~2,000W. At this price I may as well put two of these 2,400W PSUs per 1080ti rig and run them at 40% capacity. Hope I will find some time to actually try that and measure the efficiency. So far at 900W I seem to get ~96.5%, which is awesome! This was with 2x1080ti + 3x1070. No fan noise either at that level.

The PicoPSU they sell works fine. That flimsy 20AWG CPU cable only carries 0.5A in my setup with a Celeron on Z270, so don't worry about the look of it.

The worst thing is that now I have to sell ~20x ATX PSUs somehow Smiley

-SCSI
droghtak

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 09:08:45 AM

I got five of these the other day. Installed two today on 1080ti rigs. Will go order another box of five while they last... these are seriously decent PSUs and the cables are simply top-notch. The 16 AWG is really a 16 AWG and I have no doubt the 6-pin cable can handle 200+ watts without breaking a sweat. The insulation on wires is of great quality too!

The fans are getting pretty pretty loud with 8x1080ti pulling ~2,000W. At this price I may as well put two of these 2,400W PSUs per 1080ti rig and run them at 40% capacity. Hope I will find some time to actually try that and measure the efficiency. So far at 900W I seem to get ~96.5%, which is awesome! This was with 2x1080ti + 3x1070. No fan noise either at that level.

The PicoPSU they sell works fine. That flimsy 20AWG CPU cable only carries 0.5A in my setup with a Celeron on Z270, so don't worry about the look of it.

The worst thing is that now I have to sell ~20x ATX PSUs somehow Smiley

-SCSI

yeah, I have also thought to buy 2 PSU per 3 rigs, that would put the PSUs at 75% capacity.

I have to weigh out if its more efficient / convenient than using a cheap PSU per rig which could feed 1 1080ti + 1 2400PSU per 2 rigs
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 09:33:11 AM

Yeah... to keep it simple I went and ordered another 12x of these: https://www.parallelminer.com/product/2400-watt-power-supply-kit-for-gpu-mining-94-efficiency-200-240v-ethereum-eth-zec-dash/

After quantity discount and the 5% coupon code (slush) I got $98 price per unit with free shipping. They offer an additional 5% off if you pay with crypto. Can't beat that price for a brand new 2.4kW PSU with 16x high quality 8-pin PCIe outputs.

I also like the factor of redundancy with six (!) fans.

The built-in voltmeter is garbage. It shows 12.3V-12.9V on different breakout boards while the actual output is 12.5V as measured by a proper Fluke DVM. Looks cool though Smiley
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 10:07:03 AM

I think I will try to glue a heatsink to the corner which gets hotter (the one closer to the 2 FANS)

Neat idea! If you do that, I suggest you aim for the recessed area where they put the nameplate sticker. The hottest spot is somewhere near the "2000m" phrase in between the Delta logo and the barcode on the bottom.

Today I opened one of the PSUs just to see if retrofitting a larger external fan will be possible. Looks like it's not an easy task as they designed the guts is such a way that the airflow must travel through the length of the unit and you cannot just open the hood and blow at it perpendicular to the surface. It needs to really penetrate the densely packed internals and your usual quiet case fan just wont cut it. In the area under the sticker I mentioned above they have placed some large silicone thermal pads to provide extra heat transfer capability for the power mos-FETs. The intended application for these PSUs is to be inserted inside a big ass server and some additional cooling of the PSU can be provided by metal-to-metal contact between the PSU case and the server case as they usually mount flush and have minimal air gaps.

I think that if you remove the nameplate sticker completely and use some thermally conductive epoxy to attach a large heatsink, it may actually help quite a bit.

I can pull out my FLIR camera tomorrow and take some pictures in IR when the ambient temps are high. That will pinpoint the hot areas precisely.

Hope the fans are actually thermally controlled and not just ramp up RPMs based on the measured load.
Set Ready Go

Activity: 273
Merit: 17

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 10:21:53 AM

The psu packs looks nice.
How is it with the protection on these 2400w delta psus?
The OVP, UVP, OCP, OPP, SCP, OTP?
droghtak

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 12:15:08 PM

Neat idea! If you do that, I suggest you aim for the recessed area where they put the nameplate sticker. The hottest spot is somewhere near the "2000m" phrase in between the Delta logo and the barcode on the bottom.

Today I opened one of the PSUs just to see if retrofitting a larger external fan will be possible. Looks like it's not an easy task as they designed the guts is such a way that the airflow must travel through the length of the unit and you cannot just open the hood and blow at it perpendicular to the surface. It needs to really penetrate the densely packed internals and your usual quiet case fan just wont cut it. In the area under the sticker I mentioned above they have placed some large silicone thermal pads to provide extra heat transfer capability for the power mos-FETs. The intended application for these PSUs is to be inserted inside a big ass server and some additional cooling of the PSU can be provided by metal-to-metal contact between the PSU case and the server case as they usually mount flush and have minimal air gaps.

I think that if you remove the nameplate sticker completely and use some thermally conductive epoxy to attach a large heatsink, it may actually help quite a bit.

I can pull out my FLIR camera tomorrow and take some pictures in IR when the ambient temps are high. That will pinpoint the hot areas precisely.

Hope the fans are actually thermally controlled and not just ramp up RPMs based on the measured load.

The FLIR camera image would be really nice and will help, im sure (i have to buy one of this toys!)

Do you think it would be better to put the PSU elevated using 4 thin columns (more airflow surrounding the PSU) or put it touching metal with conductive  paste? I have the PSU over a large metal shelve, I could use it as a large backplate ...
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 01:36:27 PM

I was thinking of adding the pico to 2400w psu but my one rig has a fx-8350 I have cpu mining so the question is would that pico handle it probably not or is there a way to run my CPU off the psu being I'm switching everything on in one shot or is that not a good idea I'm not a expert in computer powering so just asking if anyone has done this or knows how thanks
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 04:09:17 PM

I was thinking of adding the pico to 2400w psu but my one rig has a fx-8350 I have cpu mining so the question is would that pico handle it probably not or is there a way to run my CPU off the psu being I'm switching everything on in one shot or is that not a good idea I'm not a expert in computer powering so just asking if anyone has done this or knows how thanks

It's usually okay to provide the supplemental 12V power for CPU straight from the PSU. You just need to solder some wires or get a converter.

Also, take a look at this mod which takes care of this exact problem:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2040729.0

Speaking of picoPSU, I ordered 10x for $12 e.a. on eBay because $30 becomes kind of expensive at large scale.
www.ebay.com/itm/322652028210
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

The FLIR camera image would be really nice and will help, im sure (i have to buy one of this toys!)

Do you think it would be better to put the PSU elevated using 4 thin columns (more airflow surrounding the PSU) or put it touching metal with conductive  paste? I have the PSU over a large metal shelve, I could use it as a large backplate ...

Here's the thermals. Fans are lighting up because they breathe in hot air exhaust from another PSU sitting above it (should change that). The peak temp right at the "2000m" spot (around 42C). Remove that sticker and slap a heatsink on it!

This setup currently sits at ~920W. Later will take more pics with other setups.

Camera is Seek Thermal for those who wonder.
droghtak

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:06:28 PM

thanks for sharing the picture!

I did attach a heatsink  directly on the sticker and it definetly helps. But the PSU is still loud ... actually I put a second heatsink to the left of the sticker because that part was getting hotter. Now I can touch the heatsinks and they are warm but not hot (they have also attached fans).

other solution I can think off is puting the PSU on mineral oil ... just the PSU

or maybe run it at 75% and use a supplementary PSU
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:19:14 PM

At the current price of the bare PSU of $65.55 after coupon and with free shipping, you can spread the load between two of them and get down to 50% utilization. I'm pretty certain you can run each PSU with just one breakout board attached, so no need to buy the whole kit, just bare PSU.
droghtak

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:43:32 PM

yep I contacted ParallelMiner with this exact question and they told me that it would be fine to run with just 1 breakboard. I think I will go this route, thanks!
SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 07:54:43 PM

Yes, but I went with full kits instead. This way, if need be, I will be able to sell them later a little bit easier. Or maybe use them for something different like ASICs and such.

At some point Parallel will run out of this particular model of PSU, because these are factory overstock from some canceled HP order.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:06:42 PM
Last edit: August 24, 2017, 08:23:12 PM by toptek

I Love HM i have three about to buy two more my farm is building .... taking my time .

mine run close to 75 % ... I never hear the fans on the PSU the fan form either the Rigs or Script miner i hear and the PSU seems to stay cool or like they should .

kind of why I own three I usually go over kill and set a max for me then start with a new one ..

I use one with  a ASICs Script miner that pulls about 1600 watts with five boards ..

O forgot i don't use PCI Express Power Splitter Cable on the GPU rigs any more i plug it all into the PSU break board including the Motherboard .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
zer0k

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 08:06:49 PM

Great thread and information sharing!!

I'm waiting for a 2400W version to show up, and I'm going to fit it into a Rosewill 4U server chassis with 6-8 1080 ti's.
I'll report back on how that all works out Cheesy

SCSI2

View Profile
August 24, 2017, 08:44:39 PM

Great thread and information sharing!!

I'm waiting for a 2400W version to show up, and I'm going to fit it into a Rosewill 4U server chassis with 6-8 1080 ti's.
I'll report back on how that all works out Cheesy

You're not alone with that idea! Smiley

I just tried to do a mock-up and it fits perfectly right above the motherboard. I used the fan mounting screws to attach the PSU to the rear wall. It even clears the ATX PSU, so we can use both at the same time if necessary. Now I just need to punch a hole for the power cord, stuff some fans in there and find more cheap 1080ti's on Craigslist Smiley

P.S. ...crap! Now I have to find a buyer for that Corsair AX1500i I was planning on using in this Rosewill case. Damn it Parallel!
zer0k

Activity: 349
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2017, 08:49:23 PM

Haha...I'm in the same boat and need to offload my Rosewill 1500/1600W PSU's Smiley

Why are you still going to run the ATX PSU though?
I'm planning on powering the motherboard from the 2400W with their atx-power-module

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: