Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:55:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Keeping up to date with the latest cryptocurrency news - my solution  (Read 1793 times)
hu11 (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 06:55:02 PM
Last edit: June 21, 2017, 12:58:33 PM by hu11

Hi all,

Long time lurker here.

I just wanted to share a side project that I've built. I originally made it for myself but after seeing so many people looking for a good solution I decided to tidy it up and throw it on a domain so everyone can use it.

The aim was to come up with a way to quickly and easily keep up to date with the latest cryptocurrency news, regardless of if you're on a smartphone or desktop (and with minimal effort). Literally all I have to do is just scroll a bit and I'm up to date with the days news!

It pulls news from a wide range of sources including mainstream media, crypto specific news sites, blogs, official project sites, twitter, ICO launches, crypto announcement forums, steemit cryptocurrency, the announcements on bitcointalk and even the cryptocurrency Reddit! Over 130 sources in total (and growing).

You can check it out here:
https://coinspectator.com/

I hope this helps, it was a fun little project to hack on. If you have any requests just post and I'll see what I can do.

If you are feeling generous feel free to tip (its the only source of income to run the site - no adverts or annoying BS are displayed on the site... registration isn't even required):

BTC:
1HiYdeL8hF6jeg3cayCNTFdn3q1D7vJBDY

ETH:
0xAf5cdBbabdEaA5F79Eb7dbAc4C2884A54Ba5Bc05

Have fun!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
timmylee

Activity: 20
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 16, 2017, 10:00:30 PM

Thanks for sharing this! Site looks ace Grin bang on! bob on!

So much going on in the crypto industry so its great to have a concise source for all the news.
ktabb

Activity: 266
Merit: 103

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2017, 06:05:06 PM

This is a very cool site! I'm curious, did you develop it yourself? If so, what stack?

Love!

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 17, 2017, 07:21:25 PM

hu11 Better come back. If that site wasn't so spot on and easy to navigate, I'd be yelling SPAM!! right about now. Need to put a ticker on the bottom though. His first and only post is a self-advertisement.

Did you see the article, article number 9, about the guy who was held up in Brooklyn and the robber demanded $1,100 of Bitcoin transferred to his wallet?

The times they are a changing.
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 09:48:08 AM

I'm back! Sorry all, I didn't seem to get any initial feedback (which is understandable as I had no previous posts) so forgot about checking back up on it and randomly remembered today.

Super happy that you all approve! On reddit it also went down a treat which I'm really chuffed at. As a web developer I don't really know enough to get involved with a lot of the crypto type dev so its nice to be able to give back to the community in my own way.

I am trying to keep it extra clean and relevant so do try and carry out some spam detection. Hopefully this will keep the news quality as high as possible Tongue

If you have any constructive feedback or feature requests please do let me know.

Thanks again
carlfebz2

Activity: 2926
Merit: 724

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:33:49 AM

I'm back! Sorry all, I didn't seem to get any initial feedback (which is understandable as I had no previous posts) so forgot about checking back up on it and randomly remembered today.

Super happy that you all approve! On reddit it also went down a treat which I'm really chuffed at. As a web developer I don't really know enough to get involved with a lot of the crypto type dev so its nice to be able to give back to the community in my own way.

I am trying to keep it extra clean and relevant so do try and carry out some spam detection. Hopefully this will keep the news quality as high as possible Tongue

If you have any constructive feedback or feature requests please do let me know.

Thanks again
Hi,

I just did visit the site and this one shows:

No content at all and I do have fast internet connection and updated browser.
I like the color combination. Hearing from you soon.
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:39:07 AM
Last edit: July 08, 2017, 08:30:33 AM by hu11

EDIT - FIXED

Thats not good is it! A bit useless like that hehe.

It looks like the javascript areas are having some loading issues in that browser. Let me look in to this. Can I ask what browser and version you are using please Smiley

In the mean time in case you are wondering how it **should** look maybe open in Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc as it works great in them. Really sorry about this and thanks for reporting Embarrassed

EDIT - FIXED
TrumpD

Activity: 602
Merit: 265

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:48:36 AM

It looks like the javascript areas are having some loading issues in that browser. Let me look in to this. Can I ask what browser and version you are using please Smiley

In the mean time in case you are wondering how it **should** look maybe open in Chrome, Firefox, Safari etc as it works great in them. Really sorry about this and thanks for reporting Embarrassed

Great job, ill be bookmarking it and sending you a tip as soon as I get payment from my sig by the weekend. More projects like this should be encouraged. Btw I have no issues with loading,I am using chrome.
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:04:20 AM

Great job, ill be bookmarking it and sending you a tip as soon as I get payment from my sig by the weekend. More projects like this should be encouraged. Btw I have no issues with loading,I am using chrome.

Thanks, I really appreciate that. I want to avoid putting adverts on but not sure how I will fund this longterm because at the moment I'm just paying for it myself (which is totally fine for now). But as its getting bigger I will need to think of something. I've had about $5 worth of tips but clearly that route isn't going to work I don't think. Forget time and effort, domain and hosting alone cost me a lot more then that hehe... maybe I should run an ICO LOL ... just kidding.

Also fixed the bug now carlfebz2. It was an IE polyfill that I forgot to add  Grin Tongue All fixed now though. Please do let me know how you get on. Also if you can update the post/ remove the broken image that would be awesome (don't want to put people off when its been fixed!).
garet

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:13:41 AM

Really great work! Nice touch adding the top 100 coins on the left side there. Can I ask where the coin prices are being pulled from?
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 11:24:53 AM

Really great work! Nice touch adding the top 100 coins on the left side there. Can I ask where the coin prices are being pulled from?

Thanks! Glad you like it. The coin stats are taken from Coinmarketcap (https://coinmarketcap.com/). Thanks for reminding me, I need to credit them at the bottom, totally forgot.
mantaxer

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:07:32 PM

Hello hu11! Nice to meet you.

Thanks for sharing the tool you have created. Since my favourite RSS feed reader went premium I've been looking for  convenient way to track all the cryptocurrency news.

Do you have CoinFox included as source ?

Btw the https://coinspectator.com/eth/balances Ethereum Balance checker is pretty cool
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 12:18:37 PM
Last edit: June 19, 2017, 12:40:41 PM by hu11

Hello hu11! Nice to meet you.

Thanks for sharing the tool you have created. Since my favourite RSS feed reader went premium I've been looking for  convenient way to track all the cryptocurrency news.

Do you have CoinFox included as source ?

Btw the https://coinspectator.com/eth/balances Ethereum Balance checker is pretty cool

Yep, have a look Wink it includes CoinFox.

Thanks, someone on reddit was looking for a simple balance checker so I just made it for him/ her. The cool thing about that balance checker is that you can also check multiple balances by url adding params Tongue

For example:

https://coinspectator.com/eth/balances?addresses=0xAf5cdBbabdEaA5F79Eb7dbAc4C2884A54Ba5Bc05,0xAf5cdBbabdEaA5F79Eb7dbAc4C2884A54Ba5Bc05,0xAf5cdBbabdEaA5F79Eb7dbAc4C2884A54Ba5Bc05

The above gets the balance for 3 addresses (for the example they are the same addresses repeated but of course they would all be different in a real use case). So it gets the balance for each address and then also totals them up as well.

dpe88

Activity: 3

View Profile
June 19, 2017, 10:42:16 PM

Thanx for the site man, very informative and easy to navigate. Kinda new to the whole cryptocurrency thing so every bit of info helps and this site is spot on.
Continuous

Activity: 1064
Merit: 264

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 12:32:45 AM

Just bookmarked it, I needed something like this to keep myself updated so thank you for the share.

Also best of luck with it, I definitely believe you could get a lot of traffic and new and recurring visitors.
hu11 (OP)

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 11:42:19 AM

Thank you for your kind words!

Does anyone have any feature requests? At the moment I am going to be looking at implementing two things:

- the option to turn on/ off sources so users can personalise what news is displayed
- add an option to show a little bit of the story (maybe a sentence or two) under each headline to add context to a headline

Both of these would be opt-in features so the site will continue to work as is however gives users the option to further customise.

What are your thoughts?

Also if you can think of any good news sources to add please let me know. Hopefully as a community we can build this up in to the ultimate resource for crypto news.

Thanks Smiley
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 20, 2017, 04:21:32 PM

So big list of news feed, it's need a lot work to do, good job and keep it works.

Well I have some suggestions:
- Add content filter, like altcoin announcement, ICO announcement or filtering by source.
- Because this is based on website, I think you should make an alert, it's like sent the latest news to email subscribers or make an extension.
ColorlessK

Activity: 686
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
June 21, 2017, 12:56:41 PM

Really awesome product, I will use it a lot to be honest, keep doing cool stuff like this

H  Y  V  E
WORK
REDEFINED.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
[][]█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
LAUNCH APP
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
BUY $HYVE
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
allcryptos

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 01:06:16 PM

The design is good. But I have to wait 2 minute before the news come out. Beside could you give some brief below the news title so I don't need to open too many new tabs.
User365

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

physics, mathematics and engineering

View Profile
June 21, 2017, 01:53:16 PM
Last edit: June 22, 2017, 08:16:11 AM by User365

Very nice site!!

I have added it to my favourite list in my browser.

I think it would be nice if you hover over a coin it could display more data about the coin, like f.e. market capitalisation, trading volume.  Cheesy

edit: you might consider, to make a switch to choose between $ and €

[could be your ad]
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: